aberdeen-music

Taxi Ranks

Guest Bob

Good job you're not a jaywalker, eh?

Just another pedestrian and driver. Although I think most people seem to walk in the middle of the road come Friday and Saturday night anyway. "Jaywalking" is an Americanism as far as I'm aware. Doesn't really apply.

, if people want to fight - let them.

And if people don't want to fight? But just get started on by some moron?

Nah I do think Taxi ranks are a good idea. Makes sense, easier to manage. Though the one off of belmont street, I qued for 30 minutes for a taxi on friday :down:

And if people don't want to fight? But just get started on by some moron?

:

Well, that's the spontaneity of life. Besides, what good does having a few neon yellow jackets sprinkled around really do to stop people starting stuff if they really want to.

Makes sense, easier to manage

But if it clutters up Union Street, then despite this, it's a shit idea.

I can walk most of the way home in the time it takes to get a taxi from the queue.

There's more chance of me getting aggro in a taxi queue than walking home.

Walking is free.

You get wet whether you're walking home or standing in a taxi queue.

Walking is exercise.

So I walk. Taxi fares as a joke stopped being funny some time ago.

I can walk most of the way home in the time it takes to get a taxi from the queue.

There's more chance of me getting aggro in a taxi queue than walking home.

Walking is free.

You get wet whether you're walking home or standing in a taxi queue.

Walking is exercise.

So I walk. Taxi fares as a joke stopped being funny some time ago.

I suppose it depends on where you live though. And I guess you are male, would you suggest a single female, or even two females take a long walk home on their own?

Seems a bit silly that they're situated in bus lanes, in effect turning Union street into a two lane road.

The bus lanes are not in operation when they move the taxis out. By then, they are operating in the road itself. :(

I'm not convinced this is going to make much of a difference to the "any vehicle is a taxi" dundeheids who bomb-out in front of you after closing time on Union St. :swearing:

I suppose it depends on where you live though. And I guess you are male, would you suggest a single female, or even two females take a long walk home on their own?

Not at all, I was merely talking from my own point of view. I am fortunate indeed that I am in a position to vote with my feet, literally.

Of course, anyone - male or female ought to be able to walk wherever they like, as far as they like without hindrance or fear, but that's another story altogether.

What bugs the fuck out of me is that there are never enough taxis to service Aberdeen crowds at the weekend.

What's wrong with introducing weekend-only licences for extra taxis. . ... Oh, I know the answer to that, our incompetent councellors backed down from the idea when a lot of irate cabbies started shouting down the idea as it would take away their lively hood.

This from the fucking taxis that take me to and from the airport when I go offshore and have the cheek to say stuff like ... " I gave up the offshore business years ago mate... more money in this business....... that'll be 20". And they expect a tip, they can Fuck right off!.

.... actually, that is, they used to take me to and from the airport. Now I take the bus for 1.80. As are more and more offshore types.

It sucks that the last bus back to Newtonhill on a Friday night is at 11.25pm, I don't know why they stopped the nightbird service, but they did. Which means that to get home I either have to cut my evening short, or pay around 20 for a taxi home. Not impressed.

Im sure you could take a later Stonehaven bus and they would drop you at the stop on the carriageway.

Was at a poker night last night and necessitated the need for late night transportation to teuchterville. Quite a late finish, so my options were either a taxi from town, or nightbus to Inverurie and taxi from there. I took one look at the massive queue on Union St, and opted for the bus.

This was 2am, so not chucking out time, and there were a whole two taxis there that I saw.

Opted for the bus...

that's crazy that they've stopped the nightbus to stoney. is there still one to portlethen or has that stopped as well? it was surely pretty busy still wasn't it?

transport in aberdeen is a fucking joke. buses and taxis are crazy expensive and it seems alot harder than it should be to get anywhere round here particularly when they keep changing the routes and timetables.

in saying that, there's no way i'd be a taxi driver on a friday or saturday night having to ferry arsehole after arsehole around all night.