aberdeen-music

Powerpop

Shaki

I've been listening a lot of "Powerpop" recently - in the vein on Brendan Benson and Nada Surf. Recently been getting into Fountains of Wayne (Yes, they did "Stacy's Mom") and must say they write some cracking pop songs. Anyone got any recommendations of similar sounding bands I might not have heard of?

I've been listening a lot of "Powerpop" recently - in the vein on Brendan Benson and Nada Surf. Recently been getting into Fountains of Wayne (Yes, they did "Stacy's Mom") and must say they write some cracking pop songs. Anyone got any recommendations of similar sounding bands I might not have heard of?

Fountains of Wayne are awesome. Stacey's Mom is a terrible song though :(

Guest idol_wild
Fountains of Wayne (Yes, they did "Stacy's Mom") and must say they write some cracking pop songs. Anyone got any recommendations of similar sounding bands I might not have heard of?

Radiation Vibe is where it's at!

Weezer is an obvious suggestion that I'm sure I don't need to make, but also try The Lemonheads, My Vitriol, Sloan, Jawbreaker, Bears Repeating (myspace them and listen to Go Kid Go - perfect pop), and I'd even throw Rogue Wave in there.

Hmmmm.

Lemuria - MySpace.com - Lemuria - Buffalo, New York - Indie / Punk / Powerpop - www.myspace.com/lemuria

Their record Get Better is one of my favourites of the year. Crunchy guitars, female / male vocals, whistling, crazy build ups, cute lyrics! Turn it down low and it sounds like Avril Lavinge. I don't understand why they're not bigger. Mechanical and Pants are both on the myspace - total brill!

Teenage Cool Kids - MySpace.com - Teenage Cool Kids - DENTON, Texas - Healing & EasyListening - www.myspace.com/teenagecoolkids

Maybe more slanting to the 90's indie rock area...but these guys are so rad! Definitely one of my favourite things coming out of the USA right now. Check out Crowd Aggravation, Down the Street and Excursion Into Philosophy.

Maybe you'll enjoy something there!

May I recommend the early 90s band Jellyfish who were the perfect powerpop band, brilliant but short lived. Only two albums (Bellybutton and Split Milk) but fantastic and legendary

YouTube - Jellyfish - The Ghost at Number One (Live on Later...)

The Grays (Brendan Benson and Jason Falkner)

YouTube - The Grays - Very Best Years

Jason Falkner ex Jellyfish

Then there's the older bands like Cheap Trick, Big Star and Badfinger etc et

Listen to some Spacehog. Pure unashamed Pop-Rock genius, mainly known for the lead singer being married (now divorced) to Liv Tyler, totally under-rated. In The Meantime is an epic slice of riffed-up pop balladeering.

And as previously mentioned, Teenage Fanclub are amazing, been listening to Bandwagonesque today and it's blissful.

Hmmmm.

Lemuria - MySpace.com - Lemuria - Buffalo, New York - Indie / Punk / Powerpop - www.myspace.com/lemuria

Their record Get Better is one of my favourites of the year. Crunchy guitars, female / male vocals, whistling, crazy build ups, cute lyrics! Turn it down low and it sounds like Avril Lavinge. I don't understand why they're not bigger. Mechanical and Pants are both on the myspace - total brill!

Rad band. My old band played a couple of shows with them (and RINGERS!) last summer and they were just awesome. Much love. They didn't get my joke about the crabs that walked into bar though. 'Merican's eh?

Less punk, and more pop - you should listen to Any Trouble. Only their first album is worth bothering with. It's along the lines of early Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson (around the same era too). Very underrated. very good.

May I recommend the early 90s band Jellyfish who were the perfect powerpop band, brilliant but short lived. Only two albums (Bellybutton and Split Milk) but fantastic and legendary

YouTube - Jellyfish - The Ghost at Number One (Live on Later...)

The Grays (Brendan Benson and Jason Falkner)

YouTube - The Grays - Very Best Years

Jason Falkner ex Jellyfish

Then there's the older bands like Cheap Trick, Big Star and Badfinger etc et

Winner. Jason Faulkner also produced Brenden Benson's second album (Lapalco) which is one of my favourite album...hence the use of Metarie as an internet name :)

Winner. Jason Faulkner also produced Brenden Benson's second album (Lapalco) which is one of my favourite album...hence the use of Metarie as an internet name :)

Cool, and here's another Jellyfish spin off...Imperial Drag who were a more 70s influenced affair features Eric Dover (Slash's Snakepit) on lead vocals