aberdeen-music

Sixty Eight new reasons to visit The Moorings. Our mega bottled beer selection.

Flash@TMB

I can't rember which ones I drank yesterday afternoon, but they must've had a huge alcohol % as I was totally smashed.

Are there any low alcohol % beer? I'm heading down later and was planning on taking the car

There's one or two. Hang on while I check the menu...

Lindemans Pecheresse Belgium 2.5% 375ml 3.10 approx 0.6 units

Mongozo Coconut Africa 3.5% 330ml 2.90 approx 1.2 units

Fruli Strawberry Belgium 4.1% 250ml 2.60 approx 1 unit

and of course Sweetheart Stout UK 2.0% 275ml approx 0.6 units

Drink driving is a contentious subject, and I cannot advise you as everyone's body is different. But be careful since you got smashed yesterday, and it can take long time to wear off. If it hasn't yet worn off fully then you may not be OK to drive. Even if you are under the limit then please be aware that any further metabolism will temp cease as soon you drink another beer, and that could potentially send you over the limit sooner than anticipated.

For anyone that is interested:

An average male would be on the limit after 4 units (less than 2 pints of Tennents). He'd then begin metabolising the alcohol 20 mins after stopping drinking. This process is halted if more alcohol is consumed, otherwise it will continue at a rate of 1 unit per hour. So if he drank 2 pints then he'd likely be back to baseline 4 hours and 50 minutes after finishing the second pint. If he drank 10 pints and stopped at midnight then he would still be over the limit until around 7.30pm the next evening, and not clear of alcohol until midnight. If he drank another pint at 8pm then he'd be straight back over the limit again until 10.30pm. OUCH!

Some people are of the opinion that you should NEVER drink and drive even if you are below the limit. If that's really the case then the authorities need to clarify this by reducing the limit to zero. Otherwise why bother with a limit.

Personally I prefer to wait until there's no alcohol left in my system, it's the only way to be sure.

The safest and most sensible thing would be to create a facility whereby people could walk to their local police station and pay 5 to be breathalysed before getting in their car, particularly useful for the day after, but that will never happen.

Had a bottle of this stuff in the end, and it was brilliant. Very refreshing, i'll definitely buy it again.

If you liked that then also try the Timmermans Gueze. Gueze is unflavored lambic beer and Lindemans Pecheresse uses lambic beer as it's base. It tastes more like champagne than beer and it's what gives the peach stuff that acidic foaming sparkling property, that you don't get with the cherry and raspberry varieties that we stock. Gueze is not to everyone's taste, but it's worth trying for the freak value alone.

Geeky fact of the day. Not all Belgian fruit beers are made from lambic. Those not made from lambic have the word bier in their name. EG if a bier is called kriek then it's cherry flavored lambic, but if it's kriekbier then it uses another type of beer as it's base.

This Saturday I sampled:

Moosehead - nice crisp lager

Lone Star - as above. a pretty typical american lager. Nice but.

Dixie - Slightly heavier, really tasty if you're a poofy lager drinker like me.

Flying Dog Old Scratch - a sort of sweet ale, pretty good

James Boags - fairly non-descript lager.

I had a couple of Knob Creeks as well, that's a tasty bourbon. Dunno if it will replace JD as my favourite but it was a fine alternative.

My mate (who was already pissed) had a bottle of the 8% Lucifer, and then a bottle of 14% stuff. Shortly afterwards he disappeared. I have yet to hear from him.

Stuff...

No Tyskie? Shame on you! :down:

Edit: Having looked at the list again, I suspect more regular visits to TMB are in order... Shamefully, I've only been once. Saw a mates band, during which I turned round to see the awesome sight of a 40-something woman dancing with her dog (oh yes!).

(I then got scared off by the hardcore band that followed, drank copious amounts of pear cider, and spent the following day barfing like fuck. Happy days! :up:)

Lech on draught is fantastical but it's awful out of a bottle. Tyskie and Zwiec are great in those big 2 pint tankards they give you in Polska. Pivo!

Yeah, I really don't know what they're doing during the bottling process to make them so dreadful compared to the draught versions.

The latest thing tried here was a thing called Ginger's Beer, which..well..needs no further introducing. Tasted of nothing but ginger beer from a can, except it's 4.1% and ridiculously drinkable.

I also tried the 'British' style beer, Dog in the Fog....it's nothing special. Tasted of just a bland real ale from a chain pub, and not worth trying again. There was another bottle, but I've forgotten the name, but it was remarkably non-descript.

One irritating thing here - the beer selection is actually quite crap. Most pubs won't do much in the way of variety - it's usually one beer like Zywiec/Lech/Tyskie, a strong beer, and something like Becks/Heineken.

I am well keen for trying banoffee pie tasting beer!! :D

It's not really my opinion that you should NEVER drive after a drink, but i barely like entering a car adfter just one drink just because although i know i can take a few bottles of beer without taking any effect, doesnt mean i havent had any. im just not feeling any, its like u cant times 0 by 0, the minute uv had just one bottle, their is alcohol in your system, thats it!

Hmmm, are you not 16...

yeah, but im an underage drinker (oh rebel) blergh, but that was just my opinion, but i still dont like being in a car after drinking, just makes me aware that a crash CAN happen, and having lost people from car accedents before like that its just this thing that affects me quite badly at times, but still, thats my opion anyway, as for the banoffee pie thing, well.. i do wanna try banoffe pia tasting beer.

Why would you give a shit about being a drunk passenger in a car when presumably the person driving is sober?

I don't give a hand shandy about your underage drinking exploits.

but i barely like entering a car adfter just one drink just because although i know i can take a few bottles of beer without taking any effect, doesnt mean i havent had any. im just not feeling any, its like u cant times 0 by 0, the minute uv had just one bottle, their is alcohol in your system, thats it!

but it sure looks uv already, taken a few effect, bdfore their is so doesnt, spelld write, thats it

• Upvote 1

yeah, but im an underage drinker (oh rebel) blergh, but that was just my opinion, but i still dont like being in a car after drinking, just makes me aware that a crash CAN happen, and having lost people from car accedents before like that its just this thing that affects me quite badly at times, but still, thats my opion anyway, as for the banoffee pie thing, well.. i do wanna try banoffe pia tasting beer.

So you plan on walking home after being on the pish then? I've lost a lot of pished people in taxis... umm Eddie Cochran for example.

• Upvote 1