aberdeen-music

Sixty Eight new reasons to visit The Moorings. Our mega bottled beer selection.

Flash@TMB

We've upgraded our selection of bottled beers. There are now up to 68 in stock at any one time. With different beers in each fridge. Don't have a full list typed up yet but they are predominantly genuine imported beers, and we plan on phasing out those remaining 2 that aren't: Budweiser and Stella.

There's beers from all over the world, and a fair old selection of Belgian beers. Bottles range from 200ml up to a 750ml table sized La Chouffe at 8%. Prices go from 1.60 up to 6 something depending on the date, time, size, strength, and quality of the purchase. Most prices start with a two.

The range of fruit beers has also been expanded, we now have: cherry, raspberry, strawberry, peach, banana, coconut, and honey (OK so honey isn't actually a fruit).

As usual student discount and pirate discount are available on all these beers. Oh - and we also have a couple of pirate beers - Piraat from Belgium and Cubarnero Furete for Cuba.

Teabags has taken a shine to Old Scratchy which has a picture of a flea on the front and is brewed in the US.

Will update this thread with more info soon.

A small recommendation for you, if you can get hold of the stuff.

Warka Strong from (where else?) Poland. It's 7%, but tastes like something far weaker that's been watered down with lemonade. I'm a weakling, yet I had to stop myself from throwing it back - it's great for that purpose. Absolutely lethal - but didn't give anything in the way of a hangover.

It's quite common though here, so might not be worth investigating.

(as an aside, this country is ridiculous...it's actually impossible to find a normal beer below 5.2%)

(as an aside, this country is ridiculous...it's actually impossible to find a normal beer below 5.2%)
Check European law for the explanation on that one.

I think it's Germany taht say anything under 5% is classed as a low alcoholic beverage and not a proper beer.

Oh, and old scratchy has fleas on it, and a Hunter S Thompson quote. yas.

Next Friday the 19th me and Boazy will begin our tasting sesh. It should take us about 5 weekends to get through all of them.

Why phase out Stella? Surely it's a big seller. Not everybody wants to drink imported beers, sometimes people just want something familiar....

We're keeping Becks Beer for that purpose, and Becks is brewed and bottled in Germany.

Stella has wife beater connotations which we're not keen on. For several years we stocked only imported Stella from Belgium which is a totally different tasting beer in a broadly similar bottle. None of the Stella drinkers noticed. Unfortunately our supply of this dried up.

There are hundreds of other pubs in the town that already stock Stella, Budweiser etc. The world would be boring if everywhere stocked the same stuff!

Over the years our strategy has been to slowly move away from the mainstream. Our business has responded by tripling in size. If it ever starts to shrink then we'll know that we've gone too far ;)

We're keeping Becks Beer for that purpose, and Becks is brewed and bottled in Germany.

Stella has wife beater connotations which we're not keen on. For several years we stocked only imported Stella from Belgium which is a totally different tasting beer in a broadly similar bottle. None of the Stella drinkers noticed. Unfortunately our supply of this dried up.

There are hundreds of other pubs in the town that already stock Stella, Budweiser etc. The world would be boring if everywhere stocked the same stuff!

Over the years our strategy has been to slowly move away from the mainstream. Our business has responded by tripling in size. If it ever starts to shrink then we'll know that we've gone too far ;)

Aye fair points I suppose. Are you ever going to get Moosehead back in? I fucking loved that stuff. Tho I met a Canadian guy once who laughed his ass off when I told him I liked Moosehead and said it's "Canada's joke to the world".

PS I guess I'm one of the Stella drinkers who never noticed :dunce:

Aye fair points I suppose. Are you ever going to get Moosehead back in? I fucking loved that stuff. Tho I met a Canadian guy once who laughed his ass off when I told him I liked Moosehead and said it's "Canada's joke to the world".

PS I guess I'm one of the Stella drinkers who never noticed :dunce:

Yeah Moosehead is back, and we got Toohey's as well. See below for the full list.

Here is the full list. Appologies for any spelling mistakes. I'll refine the list over time and enter countries of origin abv% tasting notes etc.

Asahi Kuronama

Bachus Frambozen

Bachus Kriek

Becks

Bohemia Classica

Bohemia Regent Prezident

Birra Moretti

Brooklyn Lager

Brugse Zot

Budweiser

Castle Lager

Chang Beer

Chimay Blue Cap

Chimay Red Cap

Chimay White Cap

Coopers Dark Ale

Coopers Sparkling Ale

Corona

Cruzcampo

Cubanero Fuerte

Cult Lager

Cusquena

De Koninck

Delerium Tremens

Desperados

Dixie Beer

Dos Amber

Duvel

Erdinger Kristal

Flying Dog Old Scratch

Fruh Kolsh

Fruli Strawberry

Honey Beer

Hopfenkonig

James Boags

Kasteel Cru

Krombacher

Krusovice Imperial

Krusovice Royal

La Chouffe

Leffe Blonde

Leffe Bruin

Leffe Tripel

Lindeboom Pilsener

Lindemans Pecheresse

Lone Star

Lucifer

Maissels

Mongozo Banana Beer

Mongozo Coconut

Moosehead

Nastro Peroni

Paulaner Munich

Paulaner Weisse

Peroni Red

Piraat

Samichlaus

Sapporo

Schiosser Alt

Singha

St Bernardus Triple

Stella

Stockholm

Timmermans Gueze

Tooheys Extra Dry

Westmalle Dubbel

Zhighuliovskye

Zwwiec

Bachus Frambozen

Bachus Kriek

Becks

Brooklyn Lager

Budweiser

Castle Lager

Chang Beer

Coopers Sparkling Ale

Corona

Cruzcampo

Desperados

Dixie Beer

Duvel

Fruli Strawberry

Honey Beer

James Boags

Lone Star

Lucifer

Mongozo Banana Beer

Moosehead

Samichlaus

Singha

Stella

Thats what I've tried, though given not all from the bar. I still plan to do every single one of them over a period of time starting next Friday.

Quality. We're playing the Moorings next saturday, I am officially tanning your Moosehead (oo-er!).

Have you ever tried this stuff?

3240604-Star_Beer-Ghana.jpg

I used to live with a Nigerian girl who got it imported from Ghana. it's fucking lethal!

Star beer - Ghana

I think we can source that.

Nobody will be able to tan anything, cos we're being really sneaky. The plan is to offer as much selection for as long as possible, and due to the nature of the stock we can only order in bulk by the palette load not individual cases (i.e. a mixed palette of 60 cases min). There are a max of 5-6 bottles/tins of each beer in the fridge. Policy is that when the fridge is out of a particular beer then it does not get restocked until the next day, and the bartenders will switch the customers onto other options. Always an adventure see.

*MANIACAL LAUGHTER*

Actually there's another reason for this. There's only room in the cellar for 1-2 case of each beer max. And with delivery being by the palette we are only able to replenish roughly once per month (unless you all start drinking more). So we're going to try and spread the demand out across the full range as much as possible. Otherwise you'll come into the bar in 3.5 weeks time and only the 14% shit will be left to choose from LOL.

We'll monitor this over time, and alter both the range and order quantities to suit.

I think we can source that.

Star is quite odd, it only says 5.5% on the bottle but it fucking ruins you. it's a right good beer. I'd drink it if you got it in. Also I suspect you'd suddenly find a lot of Nigerians drinking in your bar. There is only one place in Aberdeen that sells it and my flatmate and all her friends used to go there all the time just for the Star. I can't remember where it was though... somewhere on George Street I think.

It only comes in big bottles I think.

ghana_2005.1110644340.ghana_2005_216.jpg

Star is quite odd, it only says 5.5% on the bottle but it fucking ruins you. it's a right good beer. I'd drink it if you got it in. Also I suspect you'd suddenly find a lot of Nigerians drinking in your bar. There is only one place in Aberdeen that sells it and my flatmate and all her friends used to go there all the time just for the Star. I can't remember where it was though... somewhere on George Street I think.

It only comes in big bottles I think.

ghana_2005.1110644340.ghana_2005_216.jpg

OK I know what Star is now, it's the name for Heineken brewed in Nigeria. Basically Nigerian Heineken.

Certain brewed under license products are actually sought out because they are good and/or unusual in their own right. For example many places brew Guinness and some of them are very different from the Guinness that we get here. There's a nigerian version of that too. But this is usually the exception rather than the rule.

There are a max of 5-6 bottles/tins of each beer in the fridge. Policy is that when the fridge is out of a particular beer then it does not get restocked until the next day, and the bartenders will switch the customers onto other options. Always an adventure see.

*MANIACAL LAUGHTER*

Actually there's another reason for this. There's only room in the cellar for 1-2 case of each beer max. And with delivery being by the palette we are only able to replenish roughly once per month (unless you all start drinking more). So we're going to try and spread the demand out across the full range as much as possible. Otherwise you'll come into the bar in 3.5 weeks time and only the 14% shit will be left to choose from LOL.

We'll monitor this over time, and alter both the range and order quantities to suit.

Thought it was worth explaining this in more detail [before I get flamed]:

Imagine you have one customer who drinks only Brand X, and will sit and guzzle half a case of brand X in an evening. If that customer visits several times a week then you'll need to order 15-20 cases of brand X per month. Now imagine another customer who does the same with brand Y and so forth. Pretty soon your entire cellar (not to mention fridge) capacity not is used up on a handful of beers which may only appeal to a minority. Hence why many places choose to stock a small range of mainstream beers that don't hugely offend anyone but are largely acceptable to everyone. I think the correct term is "protection through mediocrity".

The price of stocking a large range of obscure beers is that it may not be possible to visit the bar and drink large quantities of a particular brand on any given day. Of course the person that visits several times a week and wants to drink just one brand is important, and if that brand is something we can readily order weekly then it might be viable to cater for that person. But if it's something hard to obtain which can only be ordered monthly in bulk, then it's not really viable to fill 1/2 the cellar with the stuff!

Thought it was worth explaining this in more detail [before I get flamed]:

Imagine you have one customer who drinks only Brand X, and will sit and guzzle half a case of brand X in an evening. If that customer visits several times a week then you'll need to order 15-20 cases of brand X per month. Now imagine another customer who does the same with brand Y and so forth.

So that's what...everyone who goes to The Moorings :p

No Baltica though, or are we just talking bottled beers?

I gave two of the new beers a shot yesterday afternoon. The coconut beer was certainly different. Kind of like drinking a bacardi breezer with a shot of kokokanu (or however it's spelt.) A bit sweet to drink all night though.

Also tried the honey beer which was really nice but not really honey flavoured. Maybe because I couldn't taste much by that point.

Only 66 to go.

Been informed that Baltika cannot be obtained in the UK for at least another 3 weeks, perhaps longer.

So far I have tasted (as in "had a few mouthfuls"):

St Bernards Triple. Strong but tasty. enough kick to blow you're grannies socks off. Sort of a Leffe but more sophisticated. Needs to be drunk from a glass.

Coconut beer. This was really nice.

Banana beer. Tasted like banoffee pie.

Pecheresse. Very very peachy. Will appeal to Lambrusco lovers.

Timmermans Gueze. This is a lambic beer, meaning that it tastes more like champagne than beer. If you like Asti Spumante then you'll love this.

Honey beer. Not sweet, but with a delicate toffee/honey after taste.

Cubanero Fuerte. Fresh tasting and clean. You could put lime in this and take it from the bottle.

Moretti. Similar to above but with more flavour. Lovely foamy head if you pour it right. Slightly sweet. One of the best lagers I've tasted.

The atmosphere last night was a bit like a beer festival. More bottled beer was drunk than ever before. I had a cold, so in the name of science...

Piraat - does not taste like a 10.5% beer. Very pleasant, lots of flavor. Should be drunk from a glass.

Duvel - a top fermenting beer meaning that it's very bubbly and foamy. Requires a glass and needs to be poured carefully. Quite a light taste and dare I say refreshing for a strong Belgian beer. Very impressive. Now I know why Phat Tom spend ages going on and on about this beer to me years ago.

La Chouffe. A sort of fruity flavour. Very drinkable. Also needs a glass.

Asahi black lager. Exactly as advertised, a lager that is black, tastes like lager but with a faint hint of licorice.

Maissels. The memory starts to lose it here. But I do remember liking it, and that it needs a glass.

After that I haven't the faintest idea what happened. I was totally annihilated. But I do have a big scratch on my nose as though my face was used as a skateboard. Suspect the injury may have been sustained in a badly executed pushup demonstration.

This was completely unrelated to the unhappy slapping incident, where an aging mink took umbrage at being refused admission due to the fact the he was wearing QUOTE:

200 jeans, a 350 shirt, a 150 hair cut, a limited 1,200 designer jacket by Lacoste, and *DRUM ROLL* a 5,000 watch. (copious swearing has been omitted to avoid causing offense to the parents of children who access this forum)

He gave me a 15 minute lecture (couldn't get a word in edgeways) then slapped my face and ran off in his 500 shoes. I would have taken this further but I was laughing too much and my 15 para boots were unable to counteract the effects of all those beers.

There may have been more beers but the rest of the night is a total blank.

The experiment was a failure. I still have a cold. So endeth my 4th and probably penultimate drinking session this year. Hangover is mild and tolerable, am left mostly functional.