aberdeen-music

Olafur Arnalds + Greg Haines + Finn @ The Tunnels

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there stage times for this Shaz? i really want to see Greg Haines and Finn, but I've got this staff training lark from 7-9, because apparently i'm looking after people's lives or something. :down:

might try and get out of it though.

yeah i think around...

FINN - 8.45/9ish

GREG HAINES - 9.30/9.45ish

OLAFUR - 10.30ish

you know how these things go!

Hmmmm. Well....

Finn, oh jeez. He was nice for the first few songs...but then i realised that all he did was pretty much repeat the same idea over and over...and over again! And the clapping?! This guy has NO rhythm at all. ALSO, he was dressed like some strange amalgamation of a quarterback and an elf. He had a pretty good voice though.

Greg Haines. Oh man. WTF?! That's all i can say. (apart from maybe something about masterbation and a reverb pedal but lets not go there, hah!)

Olafur. Sort of made up for it, but they really didn't seem into it at all, i thought. More like they just wanted to play and get off as quickly as possible.

Pretty busy though, which was good.

Also, got in the obligatory "Yas min!" at the end.

ALSO met a few new peeps which was nice. Hello!

i forgot how good olafur's tunes are... really nice and, 'soothing', i guess. s'good.

anyone know what all the clipping during greig haines was? probably the only real talking point of his set. dissappointed. sand box, cello, midi keys, end.:down:

i thought Finn had some pretty good vocal melodiesand some cool ideas... i only caught the last 4 or so songs though. the delay/reverb on his main mic was stunning though.

Guest idol_wild

Finn. was the highlight of the show for me. His songs were so fucking simple and delicate, yet thoroughly affecting. Stunning voice - very Thom Yorke-esque - but with less of a whine. His guitar tone was a bit bland and crap though.The depth of his voice made up for it.

Greg Haines. Unimpressive and thoroughly frustrating. The most pretentious thing I've witnessed for a wee while.

Olafur was very good. But the performance was a bit too stoic and regimented. But I guess that comes hand in hand with the nature of the music. The songs themselves will always come out trumps.

All in all, a good night.

Apart from the young couple who gatecrashed our table and then sat and whispered to eachother throughout each performance. Pair of fucking idiots. :down:

Nice to see all feedback, good and bad...

I think the problem with Greg's set was something to do with the settings on the DIs during the changeover with Finn. He was visibly frustrated by the whole thing anyway, and pretty disappointed with how it went afterwards.

Thanks to all who came down. Everyone was very respectful to the artists - did the polite signs work? :up: Much appreciated anyway.

Apart from the young couple who gatecrashed our table and then sat and whispered to eachother throughout each performance. Pair of fucking idiots. :down:

No amount of angry glaring would make them stop. All through Olafur's set I could just hear them whispering away and mucking about, so distracting.

Good night though. Shame about the problems Greg Haines had, I thought it would have been much better if he'd been able to achieve what he wanted.

Finn was quite peculiar. Good voice though and a couple of excellent tunes.

Olafur was amazing, just not as good as the Peacock's gig. Mostly due to the aforementioned couple at our table spoiling it a bit.

Something I found interesting last night though was that it was a really good turnout. What was different between last night and other gigs? Was it just because it's part of SOUND? In which case how did they manage to get so many people to pay a tenner (or 8 quid in advance) for that gig when loads of other gigs are empty for a more reasonable price?

Ok the Olafur gig at Peacock's had a good turnout as well, but I was still surprised last night. Or maybe the tables being on the floor made it seem busier than it was...

I was astonished at how respectful the audience were. See, it can be done in Aberdeen!

Only saw Olafur. Enjoyed the set a great deal but The Peacock gig shades it slightly for atmos. Always going to be the case when you see someone for the first time in a more intimate venue with a 'not familiar with his work' thing going on. The sound was lovely but could have been a smidge louder, especially when the beats came in. Lacked a little impact and dare I say it, a little lacking in emotion from the stage. Just came over a little flat for some reason. I tiny tiny insignificant little gripe and nothing to do with anyone other than Olafur. Nice turn out though. Warmed me to see the turn out.

I do like hearing English spoken with an Icelandic accent even if he was saying he was tired suggesting that this may in some way affect the performance. Bloke up a bit min!

Thanks Dizzy and IMP:up:

Totally agree that the peacock set was better. If any one remembers that he actually did an encore that night which he pretty much never does. I saw him in London in a similar venue to tunnels and he was just as good. I think there was something up. He didn't look very happy last night. I noticed he also had a new string section. I think the girl on 1st violin is the only member from the other two gigs I saw. Maybe he thought the others were ruining his songs and the got a grilling after the gig?? :nono:

I enjoyed Greg Haines for about 10mins. In my head I could see/hear what he was trying to do. But it didn't come close to actually coming out that way. At first I thought it was interesting creating rhythms and tones with salt. But as Phil says it got a bit too pretentious, I almost laughed at how dramatic he made turning an EQ knob.

Finn was awesome, the whole Rambrandt Painting gimic that creeps the living shit out of you aside, he had a brilliant voice and interesting vocal loops. It was great seeing him harmonising with himself through the looping pedal. On last FM he is described as "Leonard Cohen on helium". Which I suppose is quite accurate. Baring that in mind he has a song that just went on about going from the 4th to 5th. Is that a reference to Cohen perhaps?

Great turn out last night so well done to every one who put the gig on. I'll always pay good money to see Olafur. And apologies to Andy, he didn't look too pleased when I ribbed him about the wrong day on the flyer. Was I the 1,000,000,001 person to do so?

Something I found interesting last night though was that it was a really good turnout. What was different between last night and other gigs? Was it just because it's part of SOUND? In which case how did they manage to get so many people to pay a tenner (or 8 quid in advance) for that gig when loads of other gigs are empty for a more reasonable price?

Ok the Olafur gig at Peacock's had a good turnout as well, but I was still surprised last night. Or maybe the tables being on the floor made it seem busier than it was...

Good points Chris.

I haven't done the final sums yet, but I was pretty happy with the turnout. If I'm honest, I don't think simply being part of SOUND puts that many bums on seats. It certainly does no harm though.

Presales through SOUND / Box Office Aberdeen = 2

Presales through IMP ticketweb page = 5

Presales through One Up = 25

and I would estimate around 80 folk through the door in total, including guests.

The previous gig at peacock helped. Word of mouth helped. A good promo push helped. A bit of discussion on Ab-music helps.

Who knows? We don't have a formula. Next gig we'll be back to 10 folk...:up:

Third time in a year I've seen Olafur and he doesn't disappoint. :) Wasn't quite up to Peacocks but still lovely.

Greg Haines was a MASSIVE disappointment. I love his album but none of what he was doing last night is on the album or even sounds like it could be. Far too self indulgent. :(

Finn was alright for a couple of songs then got tiresome.

Excellent turnout!! :up: