aberdeen-music

Broadband Providers - help?

Guest idol_wild

I wish I'd gotten Sky. :( My Freeview reception isn't the best. I can't remember what the price is for un-capped broadband though. I think it panned out as being more than I'm paying (25 a month). Depends what level of service you're looking for but I've heard they are brilliant for a standard package.

I pay 25 a month for a 4 mix TV package (news, documentaries, entertainment and music), free phone calls and 8 meg broadband with a 40Gb limit that I don't get near.

This is about the same price I paid for my terrible broadband with a 50Gb limit from F2S/Pipex/Tiscali

The only reason I got uncapped is because I sometimes exceed 40GB in a month... but I admit that I could have easily managed it so I didn't. I find that BT throttle you in the evening anyway so I have to download during the day/overnight in order to get anything at a reasonable speed.

There is no such thing as an uncapped service anyway. ISPs advertise "uncapped" services, but in reality if you download enough then you'll get slapped with their Acceptable Use Policy and throttled / capped until you behave again. No-one has unlimited bandwidth, ISPs included. I just wish they weren't allowed to mislead people into thinking they do.

If your TV reception has gone funny though, then why not just call your landlord and get them to send someone out to check the aerial?

Because it's only gone funny on a small collection of channels (which just happen to be Film4, Dave, E4+1 and Sky News 24. Grrrrr...). I doubt they'd do much. The building is 4 storeys high so I can't see anyone going up on the roof for the sake of me and my channels. :(

I'll have a look and see what boosters you can get...

I take it you've tried a full re-scan on the box? Those four channels (plus a few more i think - i'd be surprised if you get good strength on the music channels) are all on the high end of the UHF band and are usually the first ones to go if the box loses any part of the signal.

Sometimes a full reset\re-scan of the box does the trick.

Because of a change for the better, or so i'm led to believe, several multiplexes on the freeview broadcast are not as high a signal strength on the Durris transmitter as they were. It ain't going to change until Analogue gets switched off.

Jeanette, freeview is useless in most cases on an indoor aerial (there will be exceptions to this of course- like if you're in view of the mast itself) in this area. The transmitters in the central belt are a lot better than the ones at Balgownie and Durris.

I can get all Freeview channels, with only occasional signal breakup, with a 10 aerial I got from Argos. I am on the 3rd floor with a south facing window, though. Still, I was bloody amazed.

Currently, I'm with Plus.net but I'm not that impressed. I don't download much at all, but I find streaming video from Youtube is often throttled (to death) at peak times. I'll most likely go back to Zen after my 12 months, as they are the shit!

Jeanette, freeview is useless in most cases on an indoor aerial (there will be exceptions to this of course- like if you're in view of the mast itself) in this area. The transmitters in the central belt are a lot better than the ones at Balgownie and Durris.

That would be why then. There is occasional interference on some channels, but the picture comes back virtually straight away.

Thanks for clearing that up! :up:

Mine is internal. I'm going to dig out the manual and see if I can do some form of re-scan (there's no obvious way). I used to sometimes be able to watch TMF with some minor grief but that's completely out the question now - which isn't really a great lose. :p

Yeah, just go into the settings and do a full re-scan. It should be easy enough to do. You never know...it might even pick up some new channels.

• 1 month later...

Just got set up with 02 broadband and the first impressions are very good.

12.50 per month for up to 8meg with unlimited downloads, but this is reduced to 7.50 if you have an 02 mobile, so I got the PAC code for my wife's PAYG mobile from Vodafone and she is now an 02 customer, but with the same phone number.

Free router, and the best part is the telephone support is UK based (the guy I spoke to was Scottish) and free (0800 number). So unlimited broadband for 7.50 a month is a winner in my book. All you have to do is put at least 10 into your mobile every 3 months, and Mrs Bigsby will easily fulfill that requirement.

Just stay away from Tiscali - I had a pal round in tears at the weekend after her problems with those fuckers. They had cancelled her old contract with no notice (right at the moment she needed to be online for other reasons) & more or less badgered her into signing-up to a new & more expensive contract to continue. :swearing: