aberdeen-music

Favourite contemporary Scottish artists/songs

wallster

Nice to see Dick Gaughan in there.

Now I know it's just your list, all subjective etc, but I guess you wouldn't have posted it if you didn't want any feedback. So here's mine....

Where are The Waterboys, Alasdair Roberts, Belle and Sebastian, Superstar, Teenage Fanclub and Idlewild?

And did I miss Mogwai? Maybe I did, I just skimmed....

Love from Christy

The only tunes I liked in that list were Silicone Soul and Primal Scream. I do not now, and have never thought previously, that Scotland is much cop in the music stakes, not as world class as we are in Literature for example. The only band that were consistently good were Primal Scream, but they are off pretending to be the Stones again, with predictably dismal results. Virtually nothing I hear from the contemporary band 'scene' is even tolerable. It is not that important, as nationalism is for idiots anyway, and there is more than enough music in the world for my pleasure, but Scotland just isn't in the same league as, say, Jamaica for creating world class music. Now inventing stuff, thats a different story.

On the plus side, this means it is all to play for in terms of being the best band from Scotland ever, anyone up to the task?

Lots of omissions on the list as well, wot, no Altered Images!

Where are The Waterboys, Alasdair Roberts, Belle and Sebastian, Superstar, Teenage Fanclub and Idlewild?

Ditto on Belle and Sebastian and Teenage Fanclub.

Good shouts on the list with Camera Obscura and Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan, also I actually really liked that Travis song you've got on there, Travis are admitedly very MOR pop-rock nowadays (arguably always were) but that song was a bit of a momentary shining light, even if it was just an attempt to write a B&S song.

Some fine suggestions there, much appreciated.

Some bands weren't included because they're no longer active (Altered Images last album of new material was in 1983; Life Without Buildings broke up in 2002).

Belle and Sebastian are missing only because I decided to go for the Campbell / Lanegan collaboration instead. Idlewild are one of a number of bands who missed out because I couldn't get excited enough about any of their songs - though I realise I'm in a minority over this !

Alisdair Roberts, on the other hand, was overlooked because I didn't know of him. I've just been listening to this track, which is certainly good enough to be on the list :

I've got my ticket to see Dick Gaughan next week - I'm looking forward to seeing the great man.

Good list, clearly a lot of thought and attention gone into it.

I'd have gone for "Awkward Duet"as the Sons and Daughters song, and added "In Remote Part/ Scottish Fiction" from Idlewild... perhaps some John Martyn seen as he's not quite dead yet.

A lot of stuff in there I haven't come across, will have to have a wee look now.

Cheers.