aberdeen-music

Lose/Loose

framheim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could of. That fucking bugs my happiness.

'I could of been a millionaire'.

Of of of....have have have....how tough can it be? Everyone's a cunt.

Love from Christy

Edit: And while I'm at it, the misuse of apostrophes. People writing CD's and DVD's. Cunts cunts cunts.

That also applies to "must of", as in, "that must of hurt". I agree with the lose/loose thing, that's bugged me for ages.

The one that always gets me is in a fish & chip shop in Fraserburgh. There's one of those scrolling signs inside that says "Our fish are freshly cooked to insure it is of the highest quality".

Also, here's a glaring error I snapped a few months ago, right across the road from the chip shop actually. There's just no excuse for this.

1305775040a5887226854l.jpg

It's gone out of business now, which frankly it deserves to.

Emm, there are two different meanings for lose and loose aswell... o_O It's much easier and more forgivable to write words that sound the same incorrectly.

*ahem* you were about 15 hours late with that one...

shows how much of a cock I am. Loose and Lose are two different words...not "just" a spelling stimake...oh the shame.

11 "hads" in a row:

Ted and Fred had a grammar test. They were given the sentence: "by the time they got home they ______ dinner". They had two choices to fill the blank.

a) Had - they had dinner

b) Had had - they had had dinner.

Ted, while Fred had had 'had', had had 'had had'; 'had had' had had the teacher's approval.

Edit: And while I'm at it, the misuse of apostrophes. People writing CD's and DVD's. Cunts cunts cunts.

That's not a misuse of apostrophes, it's just the way it used to be, and still is, done. It's more common to miss it out nowadays, saving the apostrophe to denote possession (and of course the abbreviation for "is"), but the use of an apostrophe in the plural is not incorrect.

Some say it is acceptable to use an apostrophe to pluralise an acronym, but it's highly debated. The reasoning seems to be to use it only when absolutely necessary to clarify that a plural is meant, for example if for some reason the acronym had to be in lower case and adding an s on its own would appear to be part of the acronym, although I can't think of any reason why an acronym couldn't be in capitals. Some would write dvd's, but this could better be written DVDs, and this makes more sense in case you have to use the apostrophe to denote possession eg "where is the DVD's case". What if it was the possessive of the plural? "Where are the DVDs' cases?"

But then there is the pluralisation of a single letter, where it may be the only way - "the word Mississippi has four i's"

This leads to another classic - its or it's? In this case the possessive does not use an apostrophe so as to distinguish it from the contraction of it is, or it has.

"It's been put back in its place"

Don't get me started on "I would of went"

or using less instead of fewer. "I've been less times than you"

I spend far too much time on this kind of stuff, but I do think it is important.

Some say it is acceptable to use an apostrophe to pluralise an acronym, but it's highly debated.

Which is different to incorrect.

.... although I can't think of any reason why an acronym couldn't be in capitals.

Although words like LASER and SCUBA look weird when capitalised.

Some would write dvd's, but this could better be written DVDs, and this makes more sense in case you have to use the apostrophe to denote possession eg "where is the DVD's case".

I see the sense, but my fingers sometimes have a mind of their own and keep going back to the old habit of typing CD's for more than one CD.

I think it's probably only become an issue because acronyms are so much more common now than before the second world war, where (mostly military) acronyms really started to enter common speech. In the 19th century I'm sure they never talked of RBEs instead of reciprocating beam engines but I bet you that's what they'd be called if they were invented tomorrow.

Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead.

That was our pub quiz team name a while back and no-one laughed at all.

I spend a great deal of my working day correcting other people's spelling and grammar. While stray apostrophes are irritating, my personal pet hate is the random capitalisation of letters for no apparent reason. Day of the week? Yes that can have a capital. Spring, summer, autumn and winter cannot.