aberdeen-music

'3 to get in? You must be taking the piss...!'

Ithaca

Was in The Moorings (just for a change) this weekend and once again witnessed a throng of people complaining about having to pay to get in on Saturday night. I can honestly say that I have no idea where the fuck these poeple are coming from. The outlay of 3 quid to see a handful of live bands on a Saturday night is to me, good value for money. It amazed me that people were pissed off they couldn't get into 'thier' local for free If you feel agreived about having to pay this token amount of money, stay in and watch fucking X-factor (as well as your precious pennies), discussing how life would be so much better if you ruled the world! Wankers!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Was in The Moorings (just for a change) this weekend and once again witnessed a throng of people complaining about having to pay to get in on Saturday night. I can honestly say that I have no idea where the fuck these poeple are coming from. The outlay of 3 quid to see a handful of live bands on a Saturday night is to me, good value for money. It amazed me that people were pissed off they couldn't get into 'thier' local for free If you feel agreived about having to pay this token amount of money, stay in and watch fucking X-factor (as well as your precious pennies), discussing how life would be so much better if you ruled the world! Wankers!

Maybe people just wanted to drink there, and not pay money to watch bands they had no interest in. The Moorings is an ace bar, but the worst aspect in my opinion is the kind of bands they have on. I simply have no interest in watching unsigned hard rock/metal/punk bands. Maybe you should consider that people have their own personalities and the entire world cannot be divided into people who like the kind of music that you like, and people who stay in every Saturday night watching 'fucking X-factor (as well as their precious pennies)', and discussing how life would be so much better if they ruled the world.

Maybe people just wanted to drink there, and not pay money to watch bands they had no interest in. The Moorings is an ace bar, but the worst aspect in my opinion is the kind of bands they have on. I simply have no interest in watching unsigned hard rock/metal/punk bands. Maybe you should consider that people have their own personalities and the entire world cannot be divided into people who like the kind of music that you like, and people who stay in every Saturday night watching 'fucking X-factor (as well as their precious pennies)', and discussing how life would be so much better if they ruled the world.

I think you might have missed my point. This is perhaps due to the fact my sixth cup of coffee hadn't hit the mark at the time of me posting. I'm fed and watered now so let me clarify. Hang on, first I'd better 'consider....the entire world cannot be divided...' (are you fucking cunted?!). Of course everyone has a choice (I never said they didn't). Perhaps my x-factor comment was on the obtuse side and for that I apologise. All I was trying to convey was my disbelief at how some people find a door charge of 3 for three bands too expensive (no matter what type of bands they are)! Folk were literally acting like someone had pissed on their mum when they found out they had to pay to get in. News flash people, live music costs money (or shall we stop paying bands now!?).

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I think you might have missed my point. This is perhaps due to the fact my sixth cup of coffee hadn't hit the mark at the time of me posting. I'm fed and watered now so let me clarify. Hang on, first I'd better 'consider....the entire world cannot be divided...' (are you fucking cunted?!). Of course everyone has a choice (I never said they didn't). Perhaps my x-factor comment was on the obtuse side and for that I apologise. All I was trying to convey was my disbelief at how some people find a door charge of 3 for three bands too expensive (no matter what type of bands they are)! Folk were literally acting like someone had pissed on their mum when they found out they had to pay to get in. News flash people, live music costs money (or shall we stop paying bands now!?).

Yes but you've missed my point. It's not like going to Moshulu or Tunnels for a pint, and complaining. The Moorings in my eyes is primarily a kick ass bar, and at one point in my life a source of some of my favourite music thanks to the friday night DJs. Yeah they have bands, but I would never ever go there specifically to see a band. Even back then, I often didn't like watching bands that were playing but I got in for free because I was in there so often to drink.

I'm sure many other people (like me these days) don't go there so often, and when they do are a little annoyed to find out that they have to pay just to enter a pub that they like, regardless of the fact that live bands are playing.

What it comes down to is that it's a bar venue, not just a bar. I have enjoyed many a night there even when it's bands that I'm not hugely into but also discovered ones that I do like and followed since. At the end of the day inflation hasn't hit the cost of seeing bands like the cost of everything else in life so 3 is a bargain.

I went in on Saturday and didn't really enjoy the two bands I saw very much but mainly they were just not to my taste. STill was a good place to hang around but decided to leave before end of 2nd band we saw.

I cannot remember it being full of neds or anyone complaining about paying to get in,.

3 is quite good value for money in my opinion although didn't like the bands very much on this ocasion. Usually there is at least one band I like however and seen some great bands there. Still by far my favourite place to see bands in Aberdeen.

Saturday is the only night with a door charge. There are still DJs every Friday and it's free to get in then. All the door charge goes towards paying the bands. We tried operating voluntary charging for a while but that didn't work. In spite of the door charge we are very busy. There have only been two quiet Saturday evenings this whole summer, even with all the festivals and such like. The bar has been operating at, or close to, it's capacity for a record number of Saturdays this past year as has also been the case on Fridays, so the 3 charge can't be putting that many people off. Regulars no longer get in for free but they do benefit from a quid off.

We're one of the least expensive places in town for drinks. OK so lots of places may beat us on special offers, but across the entire range including mixers and soft drinks we're pretty reasonable. The people that go elsewhere rather than cough up the 3 probably end up worse off over the course of the evening.

The crowd changes a bit over the summer as people in their mid-20s to mid-30s fill the void left by the students. God knows where we're going to fit all the students when they return next month :)

Tom - the DJ back then was Cee-Jay and she still does one Friday every month. I suspect it is your taste that has changed as much as anything, have a quick trawl through some of the galleries and check out your clothes, hairstyle, and *COUGH* surplus mass :)

It's not possible to please everyone, and trying to only results in something truly mediocre. I'm happy that the bar continues to polarise opinion!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
As far as I see it, you'd basically get your money back after a few drinks anyway and the quality of booze is much higher than your standard bar.

Well said. It's even better value when you play a gig and get sauce at cost price so the more you drink, the more money you end up saving! You really can't argue with a pint and a Glayva for 2.51 total...

:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Tom - the DJ back then was Cee-Jay and she still does one Friday every month. I suspect it is your taste that has changed as much as anything, have a quick trawl through some of the galleries and check out your clothes, hairstyle, and *COUGH* surplus mass :)

Naw, I'm talking Adam & Robb era here. Arab On Radar, Weezer & The Locust and god knows what else :up: don't get me wrong, CeeJay is cool but she didn't play the jams that really got me going.

That's really straying from the point though - which is simply that on a personal level my fave things about the Moorings are the atmosphere and the drink (and maybe the arcade machine) cos you won't find those things anywhere else in Aberdeen. There ARE other music venues in Aberdeen, and the kind of bands that generally play the moorings aren't really to my taste - which is why I can sympathise with people who don't want to pay to get in simply because there is a band on which they don't even want to see. If there's no other way to pay the bands though, then needs must.8-)

I think the point trying to be made is that, some people will regularly go to the moorings as a bar and not have to pay, but when there are band there, they do have to pay, even if they are still wanting to use it as a bar and not a venue. Unfortunatley for them, it is, as said earlier, a bar/venue and when it is being used as a venue, you will have to pay to get in, the same as any other venue.

i think everyone should come to the moorings on saturday to see female fronted spikey glaswegian popsters MISS THE OCCUPIER, edinburgh's THE FIRE AND I (there's only two of them: the guitarist goes through a guitar amp and a bass amp ala Winnebago Deal), with local support from funky rock outfit DED RABBIT and americana from GREEN PONY (making his bar debut.)

:D

I say put it this way. If you're a promoter putting on a gig in Drummonds let's say, wouldn't you be a bit guffed if half the folk at the gig hadn't paid because they "only wanted to drink in my local"?

I rest pretty much assured that I drink in the Moorings more than most folk in this topic (unless Hooker John is on the forums now) and I dinna mind paying.

It isn't just the Moorings. I've been on the door a few times at Drummonds and Cellar 35, and the number of people who kick up a stink over a few quid to get in is unbelievable. And I'm talking about times when the fact there's a gig on has been clearly advertised at the entrance to the venue, so it's not like they've been deceived in some way. Yet some people are still willing to even threaten physical violence just for being asked to pay their way.