aberdeen-music

4U rackcase

WoodyRATM

Hey,

Wonder if you folks can assist?

I'm looking for a 4U rack case for my ampeg SVT 4. I think its a 3 Rack.

It needs to be fairly strong (even if the amp is beast i still worry bout it)

And pref cheap.

The cheapest i found (on the sites i can access at work) was 59.99 delivered.

Anyone know anywhere that will beat that?

cheers

Don't get a plastic one if it's for an amp, I've not seen one that can handle the weight without distorting, then you need gaffer tape to keep the lid on, then you lose the gaffer tape at every gig, then you end up buying more and it ultimately costs you more than a good wooden case would.

Don't get a plastic one if it's for an amp, I've not seen one that can handle the weight without distorting, then you need gaffer tape to keep the lid on, then you lose the gaffer tape at every gig, then you end up buying more and it ultimately costs you more than a good wooden case would.

really? I've never seen this?

Alex has gigged/toured his amp a lot (it's a 6U case which holds his Ampeg SVT4 Pro and then some other stuff like a 1U tech21 sansamp and 1U Korg (?) tuner)

Case is very strong plastic, with metal on either edge, and metal clasps (4 fairly heavy duty ones) and it does the job very well as far as I can see.

really? I've never seen this?

Alex has gigged/toured his amp a lot (it's a 6U case which holds his Ampeg SVT4 Pro and then some other stuff like a 1U tech21 sansamp and 1U Korg (?) tuner)

Case is very strong plastic, with metal on either edge, and metal clasps (4 fairly heavy duty ones) and it does the job very well as far as I can see.

Ah, maybe 6U racks with 4 clasps can handle it, 4U racks with 2 clasps can't, not any I've seen anyway.

you mean 2 per side I assume?

example of 4U rack case on eBay

personally I don't think you can go wrong with that.

I guess it depends how much you intend to tour with it. But presumably it'll be sat on a cab most of the time anyway so I don't see how it will distort.

edit: p.s. I meant ABS before not AKG!! They make some of my microphones! lol. Gator ones are usually a tad more expensive I think.

you mean 2 per side I assume?

example of 4U rack case on eBay

personally I don't think you can go wrong with that.

I guess it depends how much you intend to tour with it. But presumably it'll be sat on a cab most of the time anyway so I don't see how it will distort.

edit: p.s. I meant ABS before not AKG!! They make some of my microphones! lol. Gator ones are usually a tad more expensive I think.

Yeah, sorry, I meant 2 clasps per lid.

Those on the link are exactly the worst in my experience. I can't think of any of that design (looks like SKB to me, maybe same product, different branding) that I've seen that have had any significant use that doesn't need gaffered at one end (or both).

I've got several btw, none of them in full working order, even the ones that haven't had amps in them.

yeah I think ABS and SKB are now the same (or at least same product) and Gator are VERY similar.

Fair enough, I know that you know what you're talking about, I've just never seen it. And for all the touring bands I've seen/played with etc i'd say that 95% of the bassists in those bands were using these kinds of cases.That doesn't make them right/best of course, just saying that they are common and I have never perosnally seen any of them fall apart.

Granted they're only designed to house and protect an amp, doesn't mean you can throw it down some stairs or stand on it!