aberdeen-music

Fascinating newsnight report

Cloud

what's your motivation for posting this link cloud? undoubtably it's an interesting piece but i don't understand why you'd want to randomly post it on this board. how do you imagine this thread panning out?

perhaps i'm being cynical. i just don't understand why it's relevant 6 months after it was broadcast, it's no longer current affairs. don't worry i'm not just picking on this post because you posted it but because it smells a bit of trying to stir up anti muslim discussion.

what's your motivation for posting this link cloud? undoubtably it's an interesting piece but i don't understand why you'd want to randomly post it on this board. how do you imagine this thread panning out?

I was hoping that someone would be able to come along and provide more information, it was the first time that I'd come across this kind of thing happening in faith schools and wanted to know more, really. I was curious on people's views, particularly those by people that might support faith schools.

perhaps i'm being cynical. i just don't understand why it's relevant 6 months after it was broadcast, it's no longer current affairs. don't worry i'm not just picking on this post because you posted it but because it smells a bit of trying to stir up anti muslim discussion.

Oh, I have no intention of stirring up anti muslim discussion - I would be really interested to find out if the same thing is happening in schools of other faiths, too. The fact that it's an Islamic school is of no relevance - if it was a Jewish school, or a Catholic one, I would've posted it all the same.

I just found it fascinating really, and hoped that those with an interest in this kind of thing would reply.

(as an aside, I found the link to the report on the site on the forums that you linked me to)

I was hoping that someone would be able to come along and provide more information, it was the first time that I'd come across this kind of thing happening in faith schools and wanted to know more, really. I was curious on people's views, particularly those by people that might support faith schools.

Oh, I have no intention of stirring up anti muslim discussion - I would be really interested to find out if the same thing is happening in schools of other faiths, too.

(as an aside, I found the link to the report on the site on the forums that you linked me to)

ha, that probably goes to show why i was being cynical. it's the kind of report that's used by idiots to back up fairly dodgy ideologies.

i don't think a lot of people round the north-east have a lot of experience with faith schools as it's a very rare thing in these parts. the closest we get is having to go to assembly and study RE. having never been inside one i don't know if i can comment properly on whether or not they are suitable for education in this country. should faith be seperated from education? there's a very strong argument for it but religious education can help children form a moral understanding of the world around them.

tricky subject really.

Religious education is fine when teaching about a wide variety of faiths to enhance children's understanding of other cultures/their own culture (which by and large is what we got at Mackie).

Where it breaks down is when it start teaching one religious view as the truth and imposing that religion's prejudices on other subjects (science and history for example).

Religion should be seperate from schools, just as it should be seperate from the trappings of state. That doesn't mean pupils shouldn't learn about religion as a concept though.