aberdeen-music

Are concerts getting too expensive?

Lemonade

The price of going to gigs is just starting to get out of hand.... for example searching for 2 tickets for Katie Melua at the AECC just now (yes, don't laugh) 28.25, per ticket, plus 3.75 'service charge', plus 2 for postage and packaging. This ends up working out at 33.25 per ticket, so for me and my girlfriend to go to this one gig will end up costing me 66.50. That's silly money, and I've decided I'm just not going to this gig, despite the fact I really want to.

For the Feeling at the Music hall, it's 22.50, plus 2.25 for that mysterious "booking fee", and I don't think it's worth 25, despite the fact that I like them and I want to see them live.

That fucking AECC is just a rip off (50 for WWE!), it's pissing me off having to miss gigs but I grudge shelling out 33 for a concert.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with you. It's worse if you're buying just one ticket because the postage can't be split.

e.g. 18.50 from Biffy at the SECC... + the 2.25 booking fee + 4.25 postage = 25!

One of those things we'll just have to deal with though. It's not going to change.

Decided to 'Collect at Box Office' for that very reason, there's no way in hell it costs 4.25 to post something the size of a letter, special delivery/recorded or not.

Booking Fee is a bastard, but, aren't they getting rid of that in October?

Decided to 'Collect at Box Office' for that very reason, there's no way in hell it costs 4.25 to post something the size of a letter, special delivery/recorded or not.

Booking Fee is a bastard, but, aren't they getting rid of that in October?

When I booked my ticket there wasn't that option. Some sites such as TicketWeb still charge for Box Office collection. I've noticed it for gigs at King Tuts. Which is even more ridiculous!

A nice simple way to see how 'expensive everything' is getting these days. Accumulative costs of every part of touring results in these ticket prices. The small amount of profit, from ticket sales, at the end of a tour may surprise us.

Now spare a though for local promoters and the fees they are asked to supply bands!

Not all bands are charging a fortune,.

Metallica at the O2 Arena.. 15th Sept are charging fans ONLY 5 !!!

Book now. All proceeds go to charity.

Metallica announce super-cheap London O2 Arena show | News | NME.COM

Metallica + the most business minded band in history...

band are soon out of their record deal. by collecting registrered user details then they can sell the new album direct to them and pocket the extra $$$.

the promoter for Led Zep got 20 million names and addresses of fans just from that gig. a database that size is worth a LOT of $$$s

it all comes down to information which at the end of the day is the most valuable comodity.

the promoter for Led Zep got 20 million names and addresses of fans just from that gig. a database that size is worth a LOT of $$$s

Maybe they did, but I've never had any spam from them.

I was one of the lucky 10,000 out of the 20 million and spent 120 to see the gig, but damn it, it was worth it.

As for the prices quoted by Lucky Rathen, I would say that they are comparitively "cheap" these days. Tom Waits was charging 100 quid or something in Edinburgh and it sold out in minutes.

Tom waits will have cost me in the region of 200 once it is all coubted, digs, train etc. I could have done it cheaper but I treated myself to an event I may never get to see again. I wrestled with my conscience but now consider it money very well spent. This was pretty much a one off and not much will get me braking the bank these days. Much prefer the unexpected special nights in smaller venues around town for 5-10

Are Metallica playing one night or several?

Metallica can probably afford to only charge 5 a ticket as they're still reaping the rewards from taking hissy fits and winning over 15 year old kids downloading their music.

On the ticket price front; the whole booking fee this is just taking the piss. I think it's See Tickets or something, but i remember them charging 4.50 booking fee, and then 2.50 postage. No thanks. I don't think i've bought a gig ticket online for years, so maybe that's changed.

Metallica can probably afford to only charge 5 a ticket as they're still reaping the rewards from taking hissy fits and winning over 15 year old kids downloading their music.

On the ticket price front; the whole booking fee this is just taking the piss. I think it's See Tickets or something, but i remember them charging 4.50 booking fee, and then 2.50 postage. No thanks. I don't think i've bought a gig ticket online for years, so maybe that's changed.

metallica are the rolling stones of metal! only not as good! booking fees deffo take the piss but they're like prince charles and celery... here to stay.