aberdeen-music

Guitar to Bass???

quikblade

Been thinking about taking up Bass for a while now.

I can play Guitar and im about grade 4 on that.

Just really wondering what are the major differences between playing guitar or bass besides the obvious ones like using your fingers instead of a pick.

Or alternatively (hopefully :) ) someone will be able to tell me its a piece of cake and ill manage no problem lol.

Just really wondering what are the major differences between playing guitar or bass besides the obvious ones like using your fingers instead of a pick.

Or alternatively (hopefully :) ) someone will be able to tell me its a piece of cake and ill manage no problem lol.

Use a pick if you want to.

It's a piece of cake, you'll manage no problem.

Pretty much what unbroken said. Having played guitar you'll obviously find the bass easy to pick up and play but concentrate on being part of a rhythm section. Paying more attention to, and getting a tight rhythm with the drums (bass drum in particular) is a good start. From there, play what sounds good to you, be it just holding down root notes or finding something more melodic - all depends on the songs you want to play and what suits the bands you play in I guess.

you'll find it easy if you remember that as a bass player you don't get paid by the note. Most of the re-treads I know never get the idea that you don't need to play all the notes you know to get a groove going with the drummer.

But if you dig the idea of being in the engine room, there's no better job.

I would recommend learning how to use your fingers becuase I much prefer the sound of playing bass with fingers. It is a preference however. It also opens up a whole variety of things you cannot do with a pick. Being able to do both is preferable.

Try to go for consitency with dynamics and learn some classic bass lines and then learn how basslines are constructed.

i started off with a cheap Squier Affinity series P Bass which cost me in the region of 190 back in the day.

I still use that bass to this day, one of the best basses I have played.

so you could try that.

All basses sound different.

Precision basses have a lot of bottom end and a great growl on them if you use certain strings.

Jazz basses are more focused on the mid range of things, they also have a lot of growl to them.

but both are so versatile and thats the reason these 2 guitars are probably the highest selling basses ever.

i would opt for going for either a squier p bass or a squier jazz bass.

However, play it in a shop first, make sure you get one that you like the feel of.

Arite cheers for the advice ppl.

Im definatly gonna give it a go anyway.

Anyone got any recommendations on a good cheapish bass to get me started???

I'll sell you a Fender (mex) Precision Bass guitar in cream for 280. It's very nice, plays very well and has been looked after. If you're interested at all, I can give you pictures and that.

If you already play an instrument you are possibly best saving up for the next model beyond the bottom one (i.e fender mexican rather than squier). It will last you longer and not feel the need to upgrade to the same extent.

I would say that Squier Affinity P Bass are amazing value for money. I've played a few (my old one which I no longer own cost under 100 about 8 years ago) and they have all been surprisingly good playability and tone wise. Even though it is the bottom one (for Squier/Fender), they play a million times better than some supposedly higher quality bass guitars.