aberdeen-music

The Wire - The best TV show ever?

Paranoid Android

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
so I finally got round to watching this. went through 1st series last week and getting into the 2nd.

fucking awesome. Why oh why did I leave it this long?

I share Ca Gere's sentiment.

One thing not to do is talk to anybody about it or look at anything online. I got a few bits ruined by typing something Wire related into YouTube and seeing a spoiler in the 'related videos' panel. People talk so enthusiastically about it when they realise you're a fan that they are prone to give something away.

Bubbs for me too.

There is a scene with him and Steve Earles character in the 4th Series (I think) which made me cry. When Earle goes to see him in the rehab centre and he just breaks down. Man, that was powerful.

Also like the way he says McNutty.

For a further fix I highly recommend both books - Homicide by David Simon and The Corner by David Simon and Ed Burns. You can see where certain characters and storylines came from in real life and both books are written with the most incredible attention to detail without bogging you down. After reading the books you can then catch up online with where the people featured in the story are now, look at their mySpace pages, obituaries, photos etc. until your eyes bleed and you start believing that you used to live in Baltimore and these are actually your memories.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend just sent me this file

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/The_Wire/The_Wire_-_Bible.pdf

It's basically an outline of the main idea for the show, the main characters and outlines for the episodes of the first season.

At this stage McNulty was (Rory) McArdle, Avon was Aaron and Stringer was STRINGY

A friend just sent me this file

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/The_Wire/The_Wire_-_Bible.pdf

It's basically an outline of the main idea for the show, the main characters and outlines for the episodes of the first season.

At this stage McNulty was (Rory) McArdle, Avon was Aaron and Stringer was STRINGY

TYVM for this. Absolutey brilliant! Prop Joe originally being called Doughboy cracked me up

Yeah I've seen Treme. It is great. Great characters and really interesting engaging viewing. I loved the stuff about the Mardi Gras indians.

And the music is just all unbelievably good. Second season starts in the US in a month or two I think.

The corner can be tough viewing but is definitely rewarding by the end.

After all the hype, I was very tempted to buy the first couple of series when it was on offer at Asda. I'm glad I didn't. I really want to enjoy it but I don't have a clue what the hell they're all saying, I actually had to watch the first episode with the subtitles on haha all the street talk confuses the hell out of me and it just ruins what looks like a great show. I got the first series from LoveFilm, so I'm going to try watching it again but I'm disappointed... Haven't trawled through the rest of this thread but I'm really hoping I'm not the only one, if so then I must be really thick!