aberdeen-music

The Wire - The best TV show ever?

Paranoid Android

About half-way through Season 5 now and it's as great as ever. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the writers' ability to keep creating characters who are deep, engaging and likeable, even in the final series. The boy Gus as the newspaper is quickly becoming one of my favourites, and it's been interesting to watch Daniels' rapid ascent through all five seasons.

In the immortal words of Senator Clay Davis, SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT.

I've started back at season 1 and it's amazing how many major characters and storylines from the later seasons are introduced right at the start. Things like the board full of ties in the murder dep's office, the people in the drug re-hab meetings are constant throughout. Oh, and remember that fridge that cut out in Season 5 and they lost all the evidence... mentioned in S1 E3!

All the details like these definitely make it one of the best shows ever aired.

Picked up S1 of Homicide: Life on the streets at the weekend so can't wait to tuck into that after the Wire again.

I've started back at season 1 and it's amazing how many major characters and storylines from the later seasons are introduced right at the start. Things like the board full of ties in the murder dep's office, the people in the drug re-hab meetings are constant throughout. Oh, and remember that fridge that cut out in Season 5 and they lost all the evidence... mentioned in S1 E3!

All the details like these definitely make it one of the best shows ever aired.

Picked up S1 of Homicide: Life on the streets at the weekend so can't wait to tuck into that after the Wire again.

Great spot. I've watched all five seasons twice now and still would happily sit through them again. Once you know all the references (re-up, 5-oh, the different police depts, etc) you pick up a lot of the dialogue you missed the first time.

Homicide is a complete change of pace but the writers/producers hallmarks are all there and it is still streaks ahead of other shows in it's genre. Detective Munch turns up in Wire season 5 playing the same character as in Homicide, it's a nice touch.

When does BBC2 show series 3??

Can't find any information online :(

Not 100% but the gap between series 1 and 2 was about a fortnight.

What was everyone's thoughts on season 2? I thought it was brilliant and I can't wait til season 3.

Got to love Bunk!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The dvds are cheap as chips on bangcd..... i've been working my way through them.... midway through season 3 now. Awesome.

Going to pick up 'the corner' on dvd this weekend too.

The Corner is difficult stuff to watch in one sitting. It just really hit me a lot harder than any of the scenes involving the addicts in The Wire did. Brilliant stuff though.

Seen/bought Generation Kill yet?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've watched all five series' front to back three times now, and it's improved every time. The things that I missed the first time around, such as....

***********SPOILER ALERT******************

(wee Kennard, who ends up capping Omar, is the same kid who Bunk sees pretending to be Omar after the street gunfight in series three(?), the one where his female partner gets shot)

Unbelievably good show. Generation Kill was magnificent too

Just bought all 5 seasons on digitally versatile disc box sets. Had rubbish divx rips before so its nice seeing them stacked on the shelf. Am rewatching from the beginning for the third time. The second season is generally regarded as the weakest and I used to think so too but I have to say, I am getting a lot more out of it now I understand the workings of the docks and the seperations between Police depts. For example, the true significance of the bit where Sobotka speaks to Clay Davis at an event would have totally been lost on me the first, and possibly even the second time of watching. But I got exactly what was going on this time. So yeh, second season... just as good as the others.

also, found this t-shirt site for the nerds. link

Dont like most catchphrase/pop reference t-shrits and stuff but am very tempted by the clay davis one or the orlando's one.