aberdeen-music

The Wire - The best TV show ever?

Paranoid Android

After all the hype, I was very tempted to buy the first couple of series when it was on offer at Asda. I'm glad I didn't. I really want to enjoy it but I don't have a clue what the hell they're all saying, I actually had to watch the first episode with the subtitles on haha all the street talk confuses the hell out of me and it just ruins what looks like a great show. I got the first series from LoveFilm, so I'm going to try watching it again but I'm disappointed... Haven't trawled through the rest of this thread but I'm really hoping I'm not the only one, if so then I must be really thick!

I wouldn't worry about it too much for the first few episodes, give the whole series a shot and you'll start to get used to the lingo. To be honest I had similar problems at the start of The Sopranos. So yeah, just persevere with it, it's definitely worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished watching the whole series last night.

Brilliant piece of television. I still don't think it's the best TV show ever but it's definitely up there. For me I felt more loss when The Sopranos ended.

Also I found it hard to get over the annoyance I felt at the start of season 5. Season 4 ended with everything in place and looking like they'd finally get a good tilt at a proper investigation into Marlo and the writers threw it all away in episode 1 of S5. McNulty's descent into S1 style behaviour annoyed me too.

But the biggest thing that annoyed me about the whole series was the constant murdering of my favourite characters. I felt genuine grief when Bodie was killed. Boooo!

I get that a lot of that was part of the realism of the show but it still bugged me.

Out of interest, did you follow The Sopranos on tv or watch it on boxsets?

All of my favourite shows I've watched in short intense periods on dvd. I can only imagine what it would have been like watching the final episode of The Sopranos / The Wire after watching it all from the start over 6/5 years.

As for the killing of people like Bodie, I really don't think the show could have been done any other way. It seemed to be one of the main messages that almost everyone who gets in the game will end up dead or in prison. Bodie's death was one of the saddest moments though, his whole character arc is so great.

Out of interest, did you follow The Sopranos on tv or watch it on boxsets?

All of my favourite shows I've watched in short intense periods on dvd. I can only imagine what it would have been like watching the final episode of The Sopranos / The Wire after watching it all from the start over 6/5 years.

As for the killing of people like Bodie, I really don't think the show could have been done any other way. It seemed to be one of the main messages that almost everyone who gets in the game will end up dead or in prison. Bodie's death was one of the saddest moments though, his whole character arc is so great.

I started on the boxsets when it was a couple of seasons in then bought each one as they were released after that (always missed episodes if I tried to follow it on TV).

Watching the final 6 episodes of The Sopranos (which I did manage to watch on TV) as everything built up and up to the conclusion was a very strange feeling as everything played out. There was also that ending which had me wondeirng for a moment if my digibox was broken then had me frantically trying to figure out WTF happened.

Also I found it hard to get over the annoyance I felt at the start of season 5. Season 4 ended with everything in place and looking like they'd finally get a good tilt at a proper investigation into Marlo and the writers threw it all away in episode 1 of S5. McNulty's descent into S1 style behaviour annoyed me too.

But the biggest thing that annoyed me about the whole series was the constant murdering of my favourite characters. I felt genuine grief when Bodie was killed. Boooo!

I get that a lot of that was part of the realism of the show but it still bugged me.

The annoyance you speak of is what gave the McNulty/Freamon characters the poetic license/element of desperation to carry the illegal investigation thread though, surely? The McNulty 'problem drinking' arc was inevitable too, really.....

Bloody hell, quoting a spoiler and replying in kind. I feel like I'm in the Mafia or something.

Right, the disappointment after the hope of something better was what so much of season 5 was about. The whole problem really came from Carcetti not being the white knight we wanted to believe he was but just another politician. Him "leaving the money on the table" at the end of season 4 was a clear indication the police department's problems wouldn't be solved and there certainly would be no pay raises. And McNulty's return to his old ways just reinforced what we'd been shown before that he was incapable of doing that particular job and lead a content life at the same time.

And it does seem strange using spoiler tags for a show that has been completely finished for a few years.

Right, the disappointment after the hope of something better was what so much of season 5 was about. The whole problem really came from Carcetti not being the white knight we wanted to believe he was but just another politician. Him "leaving the money on the table" at the end of season 4 was a clear indication the police department's problems wouldn't be solved and there certainly would be no pay raises. And McNulty's return to his old ways just reinforced what we'd been shown before that he was incapable of doing that particular job and lead a content life at the same time.

And it does seem strange using spoiler tags for a show that has been completely finished for a few years.

With regards to the spoilers we could abandon them but then some poor sod will wander into the thread and complain about it.

I see what you guys are saying but I was really looking forward to seeing what a fully functional major crimes unit would do. I guess that's the big difference between The Wire and other shows. Everyone else would have gone for the payoff final season. Tie up all the criminal threads over the years in one big, successful investigation. Instead we got more chaos, murders and failures.

Brilliant, brave, television but it still left a slightly bitter taste.

I had a pretty major thing spoiled for me about the wire once. On Bebo of all places! So I don't mind using the spoilers just now.

Of course I would have liked to have seen an ass kicking major crimes unit take Marlo down. It would have been exciting but the way they did, sticking with the shows ethos has given us something much stronger that is worth watching again and again. Saying all that season 5 is clearly my least favourite, still great though. At least we got a happy ending for Bubs which partly balanced out the depressing / disappointing endings for many other characters.

I had a pretty major thing spoiled for me about the wire once. On Bebo of all places! So I don't mind using the spoilers just now.

Of course I would have liked to have seen an ass kicking major crimes unit take Marlo down. It would have been exciting but the way they did, sticking with the shows ethos has given us something much stronger that is worth watching again and again. Saying all that season 5 is clearly my least favourite, still great though. At least we got a happy ending for Bubs which partly balanced out the depressing / disappointing endings for many other characters.

One of the worse bits in the ending montage (fucking loved hearing the season one theme over that btw) was seeing Duquont shooting up. Sad times.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
The ending of season 3! :eek:

And you still have all of season 4 to come. Lucky cunt.

I have the final disc to watch, so that is the final two episodes. I'm sort of assuming that Brother Mouzone, Avon, and Omar all compete (or even collaborate) to kill Stringer Bell.

Pity. Stringer Bell was one of my favourites - especially the sequence where McNulty visits Stringer in the copy shop for a sort of informal interview, and Stringer plays it so cool he even offers McNulty a good deal on a condo, whilst handing him his business card. Cool as a fucking cucumber. Sent McNulty packing.

McNulty is a total cunt. Hate that guy. His intellectual vanity gets on my tits. I want him to fail and for the 'bad guys' to prevail.

Out of interest, did anyone else see Major Rawls in the background in the gay bar Brother Mouzone's muscle visits when looking for Omar? Very cheeky, David Simon. Every character has so much depth.

What a ruddy good show.

Out of interest, did anyone else see Major Rawls in the background in the gay bar Brother Mouzone's muscle visits when looking for Omar? Very cheeky, David Simon. Every character has so much depth.

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that.

Unfortunately it seems David Simon did as well as they never went anywhere with it later on as far as I remember

I fucking love McNulty, even when he's being a cunt.

McNulty's character provides me with the most laughs - especially when combined with Bunk and alcohol. But his overall character is highly repugnant to me. But that definitely adds to my enjoyment of the show. We all need characters we can despise a little.

I'd despise McNulty less had Kima's partner featured more heavily (easily the least human and most self-serving of the minor characters, in my opinion), but McNulty offers an opportunity to despise every single episode. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO DESPISE.

Unfortunately it seems David Simon did as well as they never went anywhere with it later on as far as I remember

It took me and my lady about five full minutes to agree that it was definitely Rawls that we saw. We could easily have just rewound for clarification, but its more fun to discuss it in near disbelief. I love how the writers are constantly dropping little moments like that in, just to fuck up our perceptions of each character.

That's the beauty of that little moment.

It never gets referred to again. He makes a few slightly homophobic comments about other cops (talks about shoving things up asses, etc) so what you wouldn't even notice had that scene been cut becomes something charged with meaning. A clever bit of subtle exposition.