aberdeen-music

The Wire - The best TV show ever?

Paranoid Android

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished watching all six episodes of The Corner (twin dvd from eBay 11.99 inc postage). Its maybe not so good as The Wire but I still found it very watchable,and, like The Wire, the last episode is superb.

A number of actors from The Wire also appear in The Corner.

The voice of Fat Curt will live with me for a long time.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not had the chance to peruse all these spots but felt compelled to share my excitement...

The Wire: A Tour of Baltimore - Google Maps

thats pretty cool, the Pit is the street-side view of it, i'd guess it's behind the buildings where they were at. you can see the high rises that the detail took the surveillane photos from though, thats pretty damn cool :)

also

irritatingly, this works quite well

YouTube - The Wire with a laugh track

The sharing of your excitement may also be the reduction of my productivity this afternoon.

But thanks :up:

Glad I could be of service. :up:

I was reading that there was an academic 'symposium' in Leeds on The Wire last week with world renowned writers and professors broaching subjects such as 'Snitching Culture'... If only I had known earlier I would have seriously looked into going. Is that sad?

My French flatmate has been getting into it recently and insists on watching it in English, eventhough he only understands about a quarter of the dialogue even with the subtitles on. Questions such as (imagine a thick as fuck french accent)... 'what means spider bag?' or 'why do zey shout five-oh?' have been a source of endless amusement for me these past few weeks.

• 10 months later...

I'm watching all the seasons again for what I think is my 5th go round. Just finished season 1. So I'd thought I'd revive this thread because you can never talk too much about the wire. I'm still in awe of how good this show is.

How would everyone rank the seasons? At the moment I'd say 4>1=2>3>5

4 and 5 are pretty fixed in those positions. The writing in season 4 is just spectacularly good.

Top 5 characters? It's almost too hard but off the top of my head...

1. Bubbs

2. Stringer

3. Omar

4. McNulty

5. Bunk

6. Bodie

7. Prezbo

8. Lester

9. Clay Davis

10. Prop Joe

ok 5 wasn't enough.

A favourite scene from each season

YouTube - The Wire Clip: Bodie and Poot Kill Wallace

YouTube - Jimmy McNulty just had a few drinks...

YouTube - The Wire - Avon and Stringer's Rooftop Reminiscing

YouTube - The Wire (Felicia 'Snoop' Pearson Store)

YouTube - The Wire Jimmy McNulty's Wake!!!!

Since it's a show that finished it's final season a few years ago anyone who hasn't already watched it should know they'd likely see a spoiler if they come in the thread.

I'll edit my post anyway to be safe.

[EDIT] it appears I can't. Is it not possible to edit posts you made the day before?