aberdeen-music

The Wire - The best TV show ever?

Paranoid Android

I'm pretty sure that it's written by proper novel writers (as opposed to TV writers), hence why the episodes are more like chapters, and the seasons like volumes of one massive story. This is probably the biggest reason why the characters are all so detailed, believable and flawed - and as mentioned already, a lot of normal people and real convicts / cops are involved as actors or the writing process.

The man be correct, yo. A number of episodes have been written by Dennis Lehane and Richard Price. I was convinced that Elmore Leonard and William Diehl wrote some as well but a quick check on HBO's website proved me wrong

I'm mostly through season one, and it is the dog's bollocks. It is so well written, the characters have so much depth (Omar and Bubbles are my personal favourites) and as said before, you feel like rooting for everyone.

Once season one is finished, I'll be on to the others.

If it declines in quality, there may be trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm mostly through season one, and it is the dog's bollocks. It is so well written, the characters have so much depth (Omar and Bubbles are my personal favourites) and as said before, you feel like rooting for everyone.

Omar is a legend - and his story arc get better through the seasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Was a bit let down by the end of season 4 but only because panda face claimed it was traumatising!

Definately keeps going from strength to strength, especially as you watch characters grow and develop over the seasons. Season five is a must, although it appears to be the last season without question, which makes me sad. I can sense a hole in my life once five has been demolished.

Still without question one of the greatest shows to hit the telly.

Just finished season 4 and season 5 came through the letterbox today. The Wire the best thing I've ever watched. So far I'd rate the seasons thus:

1 = Season 3

2 = Season 4 (but it was close to being equal first)

3 = Season 2

4 = Season 1

If you liked this then I can also strongly recommend Hill Street Blues although as yet only the first 2 seasons out of 7 have been released on DVD.

The Wire makes a few nods to HSB, especially the opening pre credits sequence which is usually humorous (and the vending machine scene was a blatant nod to HSB).

Although HSB focused primarily on the cops, it was ground breaking in that it also incorporated the legal system, the gangs, the local residents, the politicians, and some crooked cops. It was also featured multiple plot threads that spanned episodes and even entire series, and it also had a large ensemble cast. It's not as hard hitting as The Wire, but at the time was considered to be pretty close to the bone. It still holds up well nearly 30 years on.

I'm going to try Homicide Life on the Street next.

Just finished watching season 4. Absolutely terrific. Don't want to rush season 5 but tempted to at least watch an episode or 2 just now just to see what they're all up to ;).

It's certainly left the void left from the sopranos. Will probably watch the rest of the shield next but imo it's not half as good as the sopranos or wire.

PS - Snoop's got to be the funniest and coolest characters ever. I love the bit where one of the kids (Randy or Namond I think) say something like 'Hey Snoop your sisters in my class' and she says 'What tha fuck are you fuckin high or somfin nigga!!!???' :D

• 1 month later...

Now in a position to add to this thread. The Wire is immense. One of the best things to happen on TV in a long while. I haven't been this caught on a TV show since Band of Brothers. The dialogue is uber sharp and punchy, the characters are so detailed and well developed. The story lines are vast and intricate but digestable and stimulating. It's incredible for a show to really bring to the forefront issues which are really affecting a modern urban environment without pandering to the "need" for over the top action sequences, melodramatic music, or typical narrative arcs.

Smart, compelling and entertaining.

I met a woman from Baltimore earlier this year and she said that this show brought a lot of light and attention on subjects that no one in Baltimore really wanted to address. It has been hugely well received there and finally helped to start some intiatives to make things better in the more run down districts of the city.

I'm half way through Season 5 and don't want it to end. I think I'll be going right back to the start sometime this year. It's one of the few things I recommend to everyone I know, even those who don't watch a lot of TV.

Omar is the man.

• 1 month later...

Season 5

Just finished season 5 last night and was pretty disappointed. It did a sterling job at wrapping up all of the stories but throughout the season it never really took off, all of the new characters in the news room were never fully developed to the extent of previous seasons, and the main story regarding the homeless is really, really stupid.

All-in-all everything neatly swings back to where it started in season 1, albeit with the next cycle of police / dealers / junkies - probably the biggest theme over 5 seasons, which is quite a grim (but realistic) way to end it all.

Would definitely say it was worth a watch, but don't expect it to measure up to seasons 3 & 4!

Will definately be watching the whole lot again in a year or so!

I also found season five slightly disappointing on first watch and it is definitely my least favourite of the five. However when I watched it the second time I found it to be stronger than I had first thought.

The last couple of episodes are fantastic however, up there with the very best of any season and they really do finish the whole show off in the best way possible.

I think season five would have been no worse if it had just had those extra 2 or 3 episodes the other seasons had. It would have allowed the journalist characters to be developed more and for the homeless serial killer plot to progress more believably.

• 2 weeks later...