aberdeen-music

'slitty-eye' gestures..hot or not?

There have been a lot of instances of racism in Spain lately, as mentioned in the article, Luis Aragones calling Thierry Henry a "black shit", Wright-Phillips and Cole getting racist abuse off the Spainsh fans (which I believe is still quite common in La Liga), Lewis Hamilton getting monkey taunts from the crowd at the Spanish grand prix....

I'm just proud to be British, having witnessed our ever forward moving enlightened approach to other nations and races. There used to be murmours about 'those bloody Chinese,' now it's 'those bloody Han Chinese.'

And I don't like the way some of the Spanish treat the fuzzy wuzzies. It's bad enough that they don't like it up 'em!

• Upvote 1

That reminds me, is Prince Philip attending, this year?

I also wonder if the chinese find that sort of thing actually offensive, or if it mainly makes us westerners uncomfortable.

I don't think I'd be offended if I was Chinese. "What's that? We (a quarter of the world) have different shaped eyes? How very dare you!!!" It's not like they're holding up placards saying "China are uneducated gay dicks who all smell like shit" or anything. Would the same offence be caused if the Olympic were in Jamaica and they all wore dreadlock wigs? Or See You Jimmy wigs in Scotland or they all dyed their hair blonde because it was in Sweden? etc.

Certainly extremely ill advised in today's PC climate however. You'd have thought one of them at least might have had the intelligence to point out it may not be taken in good spirits.

Would have loved to have been at the photoshoot. OK, everyone on the count of 3.........1,2,3 "ching chong chinaman!"

Also, is that nae the playground symbol for Japanese anyway?

Guest idol_wild
I don't think I'd be offended if I was Chinese. "What's that? We (a quarter of the world) have different shaped eyes? How very dare you!!!" It's not like they're holding up placards saying "China are uneducated gay dicks who all smell like shit" or anything. Would the same offence be caused if the Olympic were in Jamaica and they all wore dreadlock wigs? Or See You Jimmy wigs in Scotland or they all dyed their hair blonde because it was in Sweden? etc.

I see your both your point and where you're coming from, but you use illustrations that are relevant to the stereotyped cultures of the said countries, with the exception of Sweden - but even then not all of Swedes have blonde hair - that's merely a stereotype too. Whereas the photograph is showing them referring to how an actual race of people look genetically. Which is considerably different. And arguably racist.

That said, it could also be argued that the photo was a homage to the Asian races. Which I'm sure it was. It's all about context, I guess.

I see your both your point and where you're coming from, but you use illustrations that are relevant to the stereotyped cultures of the said countries, with the exception of Sweden - but even then not all of Swedes have blonde hair - that's merely a stereotype too. Whereas the photograph is showing them referring to how an actual race of people look genetically. Which is considerably different. And arguably racist.

That said, it could also be argued that the photo was a homage to the Asian races. Which I'm sure it was. It's all about context, I guess.

Aye, I see your point.Perhaps more comparable to it being in an African country and them all blacking up with boot polish on their faces......which wouldn't go down to well either. I'm not surprised at the outrage it has caused.

I personally don't mind and am not at all offended by "racist" jokes (as long as they're funny) at the same time as despising actual racism. Maybe my opinion would be different if my racial forefathers had been opressed and brutalised.

?

I guess as a species we have a pretty poor record for generalising and holding prejudices towards 'otherness'; therefore, this kind of gesturing has no place in the modern world. You may argue it harmless to acknowledge 'slitty-eyes', but history has proved humans somewhat xenophobic. Aesthetic difference is naturally related to broader political and social movement, from immigration, trade, war to outright irrational hatred of the unusual - themes of human failure of which the hardly-distant 20th century stands as a profound and ugly monument.

On the simplest level I think it's just childish and demeaning, 'look at their funy eyes'. If I was Chinese I'd feel slightly embarrassed at the lame sense of humour.

Who gives a fuck.

Don't you think it's in some way dangerous to still have twats doing this? I get the feeling, due to this that most of spain when they think of Chinese, literally picture 'slitty-eyes' and possibly chuckle at the funniness of it all. I'm sure you don't want to be defined by your unalterable exterior, so really, the spanish should be lambasted for this insulting, off-hand and very telling gesture.

On further reflection, I reckon if I was at the local Chinese carry out (as an example of where I might encounter the people of China, I'm not saying all Chinese in Aberdeen work at a Chinese carry out) and someone came in holding their eyes in this manner whilst placing their order, I reckon I'd be pretty disgusted. It's taking the piss really, isn't it? I take back my earlier comments on it being a bit of shit banter.