aberdeen-music

can i view all my reputation received?

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

it says i have 26 points but i can only see 5, 2 of which are negative.

im curious to know what people have said, so is there a button/link/way to do so?

Guest idol_wild

Cloud dished out negative rep for this? Is this the same guy who heavily contributed to the thread about reputation changes? And admitted he liked reading the comments left when people gave him reputation?

.Could you also reconsider the decision to make comments optional?

How contrary.

haha, Cloud gave you negative for this? I think he's just annoyed cos you owned him in the hipster thread.

Nah, I just felt like dishing out some points. Always good fun to do, particularly when people actually bother to comment about the points given/taken. And particularly so when the pot calls the kettle black.

Who gets pissed off over posts on an internet forum, anyway?

Cloud dished out negative rep for this? Is this the same guy who heavily contributed to the thread about reputation changes? And admitted he liked reading the comments left when people gave him reputation?

The point was that who cares about old comments left...and hey, dishing out negative reputation is always fun. Just look at the...highly constructive comments left for me, and you'll understand exactly why it's so much fun.

At least you're not into negative 1 zillion or whatever our Oasis loving BNP member is at. :)

Jesus, just saw that thread.

Gave him positive feedback though - it's his opinion, and good on him for expressing it, even though it's clearly not the view of the vast majority of people on here.

I don't mind people talking about leaving reputations comments for others, but lets keep it civil please.

And don't get too cocky Cloud. The way your reputation is quickly decreasing then it won't be long before you're joining Stripey as an ex-member of these forums.

And don't get too cocky Cloud. The way your reputation is quickly decreasing then it won't be long before you're joining Stripey as an ex-member of these forums.

Hang on, you're not seriously suggesting that reputation points would have influence on someone's status on this site, are you? They're fine as a bit of a joke, but surely not as a serious measure of someone's contributions to this site?

Look at this, for instance..

aberdeen-music - View Profile: Ian_Brown

Is using the reputation system to call someone "spanner", "moron" and "arsehole" really what this website is about? You can't take it seriously - even though his comments were pushing it somewhat, it's still his opinion, and he shouldn't be abused for having it.

edit : Might I suggest a zero tolerance policy for personal abuse for a while? If someone is speaking nonsense, there's plenty of ways to point that out without using mindless language - I recall Dave's arguments with Bux being a great example where two people could disagree, yet they still kept it civil.

Calling someone names really does nothing for anyone.

Hang on, you're not seriously suggesting that reputation points would have influence on someone's status on this site, are you? They're fine as a bit of a joke, but surely not as a serious measure of someone's contributions to this site?

As I stated in my original announcements regarding the reputation system, there will be associated rewards and punishments for specific reputation levels announced in the future. The reputation system has not been put in place "as a bit of a joke".

Is using the reputation system to call someone "spanner", "moron" and "arsehole" really what this website is about? You can't take it seriously - even though his comments were pushing it somewhat, it's still his opinion, and he shouldn't be abused for having it.

Although I agree that the reputation comments in question are far from constructive, they have been made in response to some fairly ignorant and stupid posts made by the user in question. I hope the user might notice these comments and maybe think carefully about the content of their posts in the future.

A serious suggestion - a zero tolerance policy on personal abuse might work wonders. Stripey being banned, while other people are getting away with using mindless insults simply doesn't seem consistent, though I appreciate that Stripey was on a whole different level.

I've taken action over the posts you reported as I would any similar posts made by anyone else. Personal abuse isn't tolerated on this web site.

What I also won't tolerate is the intentional provocation and winding up of other forum members. One of the primary reasons your reputation level is quickly decreasing. I strongly suggest you carefully think about what you post on this web site in the future, if you wish to continue to be allowed to post here.

Although I agree that the reputation comments in question are far from constructive, they have been made in response to some fairly ignorant and stupid posts made by the user in question. I hope the user might notice these comments and maybe think carefully about the content of their posts in the future.

So you will take action against people depending on their views of this country? Or their views on the imigration system?

Might i ask why?

You may feel his views are wrong but surely no reason to ban someone.

So you will take action against people depending on their views of this country? Or their views on the imigration system?

Might i ask why?

Nope, I won't (and haven't) take action against people depending on their views of this country or on the immigration as long as those views are constructive.

You may feel his views are wrong but surely no reason to ban someone.

He hasn't been banned.

Nope, I won't (and haven't) take action against people depending on their views of this country or on the immigration as long as those views are constructive.

He hasn't been banned.

i realise he hasnt been banned, it was just the way you put the last post i quoted, perhaps i took it the wrong way but you seemed to suggest that said user should watch their conduct or risk being banned.

i realise he hasnt been banned, it was just the way you put the last post i quoted, perhaps i took it the wrong way but you seemed to suggest that said user should watch their conduct or risk being banned.

That's correct. Although the same rule applies be there a reputation system or not.

so would you take what he said in that thread as being against the rules?

It's not breaking any rules no (and that's why none of the staff have taken any action against him), but it's fair to say what he has posted in that thread is certainly ignorant (and to be quite, stupid) in places and that is why people are giving him negative reputation. Goading people on to give you negative reputation isn't a good idea either, mind you.

It's not breaking any rules no (and that's why none of the staff have taken any action against him), but it's fair to say what he has posted in that thread is certainly ignorant (and to be quite, stupid) in places and that is why people are giving him negative reputation. Goading people on to give you negative reputation isn't a good idea either, mind you.

excuse me? Why would i want bad rep points?

As I stated in my original announcements regarding the reputation system, there will be associated rewards and punishments for specific reputation levels announced in the future. The reputation system has not been put in place "as a bit of a joke".

I have great reservations about the use of the reputation system to decide punishments and rewards - particularly because of the potential for cliques to form. If a newbie decides to bad reputation someone for an idiotic post - they could find themselves under a deluge of negative reputation from said person's friends. You can already see some evidence of this happening on here - and I suspect any system of punishment/reward would make things worse. I know there's the case that you have to spread it round quite a bit before you can give it again, but where you have a group of members on 100 points and 10 influence points, they can quite easily protect their own position by stripping someone of their points.

Perhaps a more sensible system would be to only allow one set of reputation points to be given per post? Then you don't get issues where a multitude of people pick on one post - so it's fairer. Not sure if it's possible to do, though.

This is the question though - are comments like that going to be acceptable on here or not? There seems to be a blurry line between what constitutes abuse and what's acceptable, particularly when it's done in a pack mentality. Another example is the comments left on my reputation - calling someone "twat" does absolutely nothing for the site, though the name itself doesn't bother me.

What I also won't tolerate is the intentional provocation and winding up of other forum members. One of the primary reasons your reputation level is quickly decreasing. I strongly suggest you carefully think about what you post on this web site in the future, if you wish to continue to be allowed to post here.

Warning taken.

Any plans to completely cut out the personal abuse/provocation on this site? I'd be happy to take a few days suspension from the site along with Teabags if it meant that this type of nonsense wasn't going to be tolerated any more.

I have great reservations about the use of the reputation system to decide punishments and rewards - particularly because of the potential for cliques to form. If a newbie decides to bad reputation someone for an idiotic post - they could find themselves under a deluge of negative reputation from said person's friends. You can already see some evidence of this happening on here - and I suspect any system of punishment/reward would make things worse. I know there's the case that you have to spread it round quite a bit before you can give it again, but where you have a group of members on 100 points and 10 influence points, they can quite easily protect their own position by stripping someone of their points.

As has been explained before, there are already controls in the system in place to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening. The users that will have the largest influence should be those users who have posted the most, been registered the longest and have both received and given positive reputation points to others. New users can't even give any negative or positive reputation until they have made a number of posts and all users can only dish out so much reputation in one day. Therefore, it should be difficult be possible for people to "gang up" and wipe out someone's reputation in one go.

The "end game" I'm looking for is effectively a self-moderating online community. You can see these systems work very well on even the very largest web sites (Digg.com for example) where even people's posts can become removed and themselves automatically banned by other users if enough people register negative opinions on their posts.

I'm still expecting it to need tweaked here and there and I've still to decide on punishments and rewards as well as what levels they will be triggered. I will try to make it as fair as possible though.

This is the question though - are comments like that going to be acceptable on here or not? There seems to be a blurry line between what constitutes abuse and what's acceptable, particularly when it's done in a pack mentality. Another example is the comments left on my reputation - calling someone "twat" does absolutely nothing for the site, though the name itself doesn't bother me.

That is a fair point. We have less visibly of the reputation comments people leave and well as the messages people leave on people's profiles. So this is something we will need to address.

Any plans to completely cut out the personal abuse/provocation on this site? I'd be happy to take a few days suspension from the site along with Teabags if it meant that this type of nonsense wasn't going to be tolerated any more.

We will, where appropriate, remove any personal abuse and provocation as well as punish those involved. As I said before, this has already been dealt with in the threads you have reported today.

As has been explained before, there are already controls in the system in place to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening. The users that will have the largest influence should be those users who have posted the most, been registered the longest and have both received and given positive reputation points to others. New users can't even give any negative or positive reputation until they have made a number of posts and all users can only dish out so much reputation in one day. Therefore, it should be difficult be possible for people to "gang up" and wipe out someone's reputation in one go.

That's interesting, I didn't realise that there was going to be differentiation between negative and positive points to others. As long as it's difficult for any cliques to do harm to others because of their opinions, then it's fair enough.

The "end game" I'm looking for is effectively a self-moderating online community. You can see these systems work very well on even the very largest web sites (Digg.com for example) where even people's posts can become removed and themselves automatically banned by other users if enough people register negative opinions on their posts.

What degree of self moderation are you aiming for? For instance - would the rules still stay in place, or would these be up for discussion? The example I'm familiar with from Digg is when the...was it the Blu-Ray crack? was posted on there, and the users voted to keep it on there, or are you envisioning something where clearly unpopular users would have limited functionality and popular users receiving extra functionality?