aberdeen-music

Help: Spyware/Malware/Something nasty on my computer?

Rachie

Calling all you lovely, clever IT people. My computer appears to have acquired some bastarding spyware/malware/virus or something equally pesky that is sending hundreds of spam e-mails using my ISP.

The only way I'm aware of the problem is that my Symantec e-mail scanner is going absolutely nuts scanning about 20 odd outgoing emails per second (I wish I were exaggerating...) and I'm occasionally getting error messages as some of them are bounced back from the intended recipients allowing me to see that the subjects are things like "Reliable software for you" etc etc.

I've run Spybot S&D, I've run Ad-aware, (both of which came up with a few things and cleaned them off) I have updated my Norton software and scanned with that and still the problem continues. Really reaching the end of my tether here as I've been trying to sort this since yesterday evening...

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful, cheers.

If you can paste the text of the email that's being sent out that might be helpful in diagnosing the exact virus/trojan that's doing the damage. In the meantime I'd keep your computer offline as much as possible.

Have you got firewall software (even windows firewall) running as well?

Did any of the antivirus software etc actually find anything?

I do not have the exact text in the e-mails because it is not coming from my e-mail client - I've kept it closed since this started and when I have checked it briefly there's been nothing in the sentbox or outboxes. It seems to be different things that's being sent out because no two subject lines have been the same and they only come up when there's an error in the sending such as when the recipient server bounces it back as spam. The latest has been "Cheap and excellent software - too good to be true? Read information below!"

I have firewall protection with Norton and I have Windows firewall. Norton anti-virus has found nothing. Spybot found 3 trojans and removed them along with about 50 tracking cookies but whenever I used to have spybot in the past that was a normal days work for the damn thing.

Ad-aware found about 6 infected files but gave no details as to what they were.

The problem has persisted despite running both.

I don't have access to another computer so I can't exactly get the help I need without being online. Double edged sword, I know.

*Going into IT mode*

Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

It doesn't sound like spyware or any of that good stuff, just a good old fashioned virus. Have you got the latest version of your anti-virus software? Do a check for updates cos it might be something fairly new that your anti virus won't pick up if it';s out of date. If you can find out the names of any of the trojans there is usually instructions on how to get rid of them on any of the anti-virus websites. Do a google search. That's about as much as I can offer sorry....

Download vundofix.exe (google it & it's the first result).

Switch off System Restore before you run it (in case anything is resident there & installs itself each time you reboot) - right click on My Computer - Properties - System Restore - Tick the Turn Off System Restore.

Run Vundofix, reboot & run again.

Might do f*ck all but you never know....

Well I defragmented my C: drive and ran all 3 programmes again and it seemed to have done the trick until literally 30 seconds ago where it started up all over again. Gah! Took off a Trojan "Win32.Banker.aipy.rtk" with spybot but that's all it really found.

I shall try the forums and programmes you suggested just now. Thanks! Here's hoping something works soon :(

Update: I think it's sorted. The guys at the gladiator forum told me to use a programme called SDFix whilst windows was in safemode, and it seems to have done the trick. It picked up a Trojan called "lanmandrv". Here's hoping that that's the end of it! I'm off to download Firefox. Sod IE, I no longer trust it as far as I can throw it.

Thanks for the help guys, I hope this post isn't premature... *touch wood* :p