aberdeen-music

Would Like to Learn How To Scream

dm1

Hi,

Is there anybody out there that would be kind enough to show me the proper technique of how to scream without ripping the vocal chords to shreds?

I have been singing for around 15 years now and it's something i'd really like to try and master and give me another slant to my singing.

I am available at nights for a demonstration.

Thanks in advance!

dm1.

yep, as does Steve.

Melissa Cross is definitely the way to go. People I "know" who use them are Spencer Chamberlain (Underoath) and Brock Lindow (36 Crazy Fists). And that is just naming a couple.

Not only great for learning how to scream properly but also great vocal warm ups included.

I got that 'Zen Of Screaming' DVD and it was pretty balls. I'd been "singing" in punk rock and hardcore bands since I was 15 and it seems that the main reason people rip their voice to bits is because they are too concious about volume, and push too hard. The microphone is for volume. Just stay with what is comfortable. The technique she uses in the DVD seemed impossible for my body to perform, or maybe I'm just impatient/stubborn.

But it's like strumming a guitar harder to make it louder. Eventually something is going to break.

My advice would be to not scream. The world doesn't need anymore faux-metal bands anyway.

Perfect. Thanks for all your input. It is very much appreciated! Keep the suggestions coming...

I have been reading up on how to do it but I still wouldn't mind seeing someone perform the technique it in front of me to make sure I get started off on the right foot.

So, if there is anyone out there that does it properly and is willing to show me the way...

(Obviously I'd be willing to pay for their time if so required).

Cheers,

dm1

i'm sure there was a the disclaimer on that melissa cross stating that you actually have to be able to scream in the first place, she just tells you how to do it properly.

and a lot of the people who use her seem to get a similar sound and the mentioned ones (underoath/36CF) do not pull it off live... this is just internet browsing mind. after keith buckley went to her you can tell. i always think the recorded vocals sound really wierd on gutter pheonomnon (spelchek plz), too flat.

if you don't learn how to do it after a while, it probably means you won't be able to. the only useful thing i know is that you should always scream in your range. if you naturally scream high don't try going low and vice versa. if you force the voice to do things it can't you'll probably hurt yourself and it'll save you sounding pure shite as well.

whoa. didn't know that there is something like this. do you really have to learn how to scream? i just simply do it.

I think it's the difference between just doing it and fucking up your vocal chords over time or doing it properly and still being able to do it a few years later. Especially if you're a semi-pro or pro band (or aspire to be one) who have to play every night on tour, rather than just once a week at rehearsal.

I think it's the difference between just doing it and fucking up your vocal chords over time or doing it properly and still being able to do it a few years later. Especially if you're a semi-pro or pro band (or aspire to be one) who have to play every night on tour, rather than just once a week at rehearsal.

Spot on Christoff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treader.

i agree with huw.

melissa cross's dvds seem to make all the singers sound similar.

and spencer from underoath cant pull off a whole show with a consistently good scream.

but whatever.

I think one of the biggest differences iv noticed with a singer using melissa cross would be Randy Blyth from Lamb of God. Listen to him in now, then listen to him in black label...

Fairly big difference id say.

is that not just because he wishes he was phil anselmo?

Scream with the best

Hi,

Is there anybody out there that would be kind enough to show me the proper technique of how to scream without ripping the vocal chords to shreds?

Hi DM,

If you want to really scream send me a PM with your postal address and I will mail you some Screamin' Jay CD's that should help your technique.

Inserting the nose bone isn't mandatory but most singers scream quite well when they try it!

jay1.jpg

jay2.jpg

jay6.jpg

i agree with huw.

melissa cross's dvds seem to make all the singers sound similar.

and spencer from underoath cant pull off a whole show with a consistently good scream.

but whatever.

Maybe you have a point but I find it unlikely that an educational tool actaully makes people sound similar. It is more likely the vocalist lacks the imagination to add their own individuality to their work...... In my view, education in music is there to help rather than to act as a set of rules.