aberdeen-music

Olympics

KimyReizeger

That's a rubbish argument. The money used to build the stadium and host the games etc. will after all be used to pay builders, stewards and whatnot, heating their homes and feeding their kids.

Yeah builders, stewards and "whatnot" who live in the immediate area. Most of the construction work will probably be done by extremely cheap labour hired by contractors who stand to make huge profits. This argument about it generating income like that is completely fallacious.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah builders, stewards and "whatnot" who live in the immediate area. Most of the construction work will probably be done by extremely cheap labour hired by contractors who stand to make huge profits. This argument about it generating income like that is completely fallacious.

You're probably right about the contractors making large profits... but it's cheap labour that wouldn't be paying their bills by drinking tea. And I can't believe an intelligent chap like you believes that the Olympics is bought into by a country like Britain, as obsessed with capital as it is, for the reason of something as simple as patriotism.

i like sports on tv but there are some things like golf,rowing, archery, pistol shooting..yadda yadda that are such a bore.

im gonna be watching some of the olympics. football, tennis & badminton!

i saw the womans weight lifting - some pretty scary looking lassys!

when will darts become an olympic game?

when will Italy sell all the art from the vatican museum and use the money to save all the poor people of the world?

who won the last x-factor?

I think it's appalling that the UK is wasting millions on preparing for the 2012 olympics. I suppose the people in this country living in abject poverty, who can't afford to eat or heat their homes are supposed to feel a flush of patrotic admiration on seeing "that man that ran a bit faster than that other man and he done it in london in that big flashy new stadium!".

I don't think you can make a direct relation to money spent on 2012 as food literally snatched off plates and it's quite easy to cite pressing, serious problems like these in any instance of public spending - it's what you see ordinary people doing whenever debate over public money arises, regardless of the topic up for discussion, 'oh but what about more money for hospitals?' We'll always have problems; I don't see why we shouldn't have a budget that allows for luxuries, in the same sense that the poorest people generally smoke the most fags and most of the country goes out boozing every weekend. That said, I don't think the olympic games is irrational as this.

I'm not sure whether or not your scepticism is simply rooted in an outright disdain towards sport, of which I entirely do not share - I am probably in my element playing it and snap any opportunity to do so. Kids really need the kind of inspiration that fierce competition can generate, something which has certainly benefitted me over the years; my physical condition and mental equillibrium. Without meaning to overdo the whole 'majesty of sport' thing, I think sport (along with awareness and involvement in it, as a nation, at the highest level) provides service to a genuine requirement of human life, namely along the lines of getting people off their arses (possibly amid the increasing absence of an actual requirement to do so!).

..to let the games speak for themselves a moment:

the London 2012 Games don't just mean 60 days of sport and culture. They're an opportunity to transform one of the most deprived parts of London, and to leave a lasting social, economic and environmental legacy for future generations.

And the Scottish government sticking its oar in:

The 2012 Games will create a focus on sport. They will inspire people of all ages and abilities to get involved. We will use the Games to help develop sport in Scotland, making sure we have the facilities and structures to meet the growing needs, from the elite down to grassroots level.

Political trash-talk or not - maybe it's worth picking up this debate in twenty years time; it certainly appears as though 'the authorities' want to make lasting benefits, have made plenty of accountable promises to this effect and aren't just pouring money into some absurd patriot-hole.

what a loser andy murray is! watched him get beat by some chap who was 77th in the world.

i can see both sides of the olympic arguement. i dont know the ins and outs but if, say, the olympic village is used to reduce the social housing register then thats not a bad thing. but knowing this fucking country it'll be used as a hotel. some of the sports on show are very obscure but i do like watching it when i'm bored. i draw the line at gymnastics and badminton mind. the continual back slapping of everything british is very cringe worthy as well.

i also object to the vast amount of license payers money the BBC spend in taking such a massive team over there for coverage. the likes of chiles, barker and irvine could easily do the link up shows from a studio in london. and is it necessary to have 2 rowing experts out there??? pinsett is particularly annoying with his smug upper class english accent (i did notice since retiring he has partaken in a diet of pies pies and more pies)

but there is one single reason why london should never have been awarded the 2012 games... lord coe - prize prick of the highest order.

Give Andy a break!! He's just come back from winning the last Masters and being in the semi final of the previous tournament; and following major delays in his travelling from Canada to London to Beijing, he'll be absolutely shattered.

Looking forward to the Table Tennis. There's a few players there that I beat when I was in my prime 10 years ago... *smug git smiley*

the olympics is on the whole very elitist. yesterday morning i watched rowing, clay pidgeon shooting, archery, show jumping and canoeing (yes i dont have a life being unemployed at the mo!). 90% of the participants interviewed speak with a posh middle to upper class english accent. most of these sports get next to no coverage normally, the football is being ignored in favour of swimming on five live at the moment!!!

still the beach volleyball between russia and georgia should be interesting!

and lord coe remains a cunt.

the olympics is on the whole very elitist. yesterday morning i watched rowing, clay pidgeon shooting, archery, show jumping and canoeing (yes i dont have a life being unemployed at the mo!). 90% of the participants interviewed speak with a posh middle to upper class english accent. most of these sports get next to no coverage normally, the football is being ignored in favour of swimming on five live at the moment!!!

still the beach volleyball between russia and georgia should be interesting!

and lord coe remains a cunt.

Probably because sailing etc are the kind of sports people take up in university. I think athletics starts on Saturday. And I agree, sailing can go fuck itself.

However, I'm quite happy not seeing football. I genuinely believe there's far too much on tv with the Champions league and UEFA coverage of five or six British teams every year. I've had enough of watching these teams protecting their cash-flows with drawn out, cagey anti-football. I really hope British teams get knocked out early this year.