aberdeen-music

Is anyone else disappointed that biffy are playing the secc?

Biffy didn't actually change their style/music that much for Puzzle.

Seriously, christ, everyone's acting as though they went straight from Vertigo to being like Kylie Minogue. Puzzle bears more comparison to Blackened Sky than anything else, although it's different it still holds the same sort of style, it's just been released by people who have the power/capacity to put it to thousands more people than before.

Plus, I don't think you can really say they 'sold out' after Vertigo.

I mean... have you listened to Infinity Land?! Stuff like Jaggy Snake and Strung to Your Ribcage aren't really what you'd expect the vast majority of single-buying 12 year-olds to listen to.

• Upvote 1

Seriously, christ, everyone's acting as though they went straight from Vertigo to being like Kylie Minogue. Puzzle bears more comparison to Blackened Sky than anything else, although it's different it still holds the same sort of style, it's just been released by people who have the power/capacity to put it to thousands more people than before.

I mean... have you listened to Infinity Land?! Stuff like Jaggy Snake and Strung to Your Ribcage aren't really what you'd expect the vast majority of single-buying 12 year-olds to listen to.

You are right fivefold. Good shit. :up:

Didn't they support Feeder or someone there?.

They did indeed, that was the first time I saw them.

I'm going to go to this gig, as much as it annoys me that they're playing the SECC. Since I've just moved back to Glasgow, the first thing on my hitlist was a Biffy gig at the Barrowlands. It'll happen one day (fingers crossed).

There's a 99% chance that it'll pretty much be Puzzle-esque material. I saw them at Inverness in February and it was pretty much that way. I say... go not expecting too much old stuff and it'll be a nice surprise if it happens!! Also, nice little event before Christmas!

This whole music is an artform/selling out crap has been done to death before. Because music is an artform and aesthetic, there is no right or wrong, only many differing opinons, all of which are only as "right" as their respective owners consider. And opinions, as we all know, are like arseholes..everybody has one.

I acknowlege only two kinds of music...good or bad..based on my own perceptions of it, which I recognise will be different from everybody elses'.

If I got bogged down in what's cool or what's crap or what's emo or what's deathpunkscreamo funk, I would cease to enjoy music and I would cease to be able to do my job properly.

This week for instance I will be recording a death metal band followed by a Japanese Zen flute player (who is gorgeous!) My opinion on their respective genres is...they can both play well and I'll enjoy working on it.

There's a 99% chance that it'll pretty much be Puzzle-esque material. I saw them at Inverness in February and it was pretty much that way. I say... go not expecting too much old stuff and it'll be a nice surprise if it happens!! Also, nice little event before Christmas!

Christopher's River, though!

I don't mind Puzzle-saturated setlists as long as they keep fitting 'those kind' (for lack of better phrase, really...) of songs in.

• 3 weeks later...

I tell you what, though. Their new single is an absolutely massive rip-off of 'The World's Greatest' by R. Kelly. It's criminal. Maybe they've given it full credit, I don't know, but it's pretty blatant plagiarism.

And no, they're not sell-outs, for what it's worth. They're just not as good as they used to be, but have a bigger PR hype machine behind them, meaning their music reaches more people. That doesn't mean they've dumbed down to sell more records and make more money; rather, they've run pretty short of ideas and are making less imaginative music these days. A lot of bands suffer from this problem. REM being a rather obvious example.

Love from Christy

I dont think they have sold out, Yes the material is different but that is not a bad thing. I am going to the gig and aslong as they mix some old school stuff in with the Puzzlers i will be happy.

I love some of the comments on this tho, most people who make the comments would love to live life like the members of Biffy do, Get a grip its only a band. I am sure most of your bands would take up the offer of playing SECC. Jesus!

If you want to see the true genius of R Kelly do a youtube search for trapped in the closet.

"You crazier than a fish with titties if you think I'm a gonna let you smoke that shit in my car".

I really wish you didn't mention this, because I've just sat down to re-watch the whole thing.Incredible stuff.

Edit: There's an extra 10 or so chapters since I last watched this. Quality!

Spot on. Personally, I don't think Puzzle is up there with their best work, but it's not THAT bad. Just because something gets publicity, that doesn't make it automatically bad.

Sure, it's annoying when the band you've loved since they first started suddenly becomes huge and every little scrotum has an opinion on them, but that's what happens. It's like the latest Rilo Kiley album; the backlash from 'hardcore' fans for that album was ridiculous. In my view, their greatest crime was writing a record that contained a few more conventional pop songs. And? It's called progression, and it's not the enemy.

• Upvote 1