aberdeen-music

Is anyone else disappointed that biffy are playing the secc?

How do you know?????

I write setlists for Biffy Clyro.

Nah, I saw them at Music Hall last time round and they didn't play much old stuff then, certainly no b-sides, so there's little chance of it happening in SECC. But then, i'm cynical generally, so who knows.

I'm with the above. Travis Perkins is possibly the most boring, grunge-lite song in the world. Nice to see they're going back to their roots (Wahay).

Biffy Clyro playing the SECC as a thank you to their old fans is like giving your granny a Ferrari for Christmas while she's freezing to death in a tiny flat with a broken stair-lift.

half the tickets have been sold already. people are travelling to this show as they know it'll be better than london or manchester.

to be fair biffy have played EVERY venue in Glasgow on numerous occasions and before this new album did 4 nights at tuts.... so you kind of have to give them their dues.... 10 years on to finally headline their own Arena...

I can see why they get this sort of devotion, being that they were, for a lot of people, the first 'proper' gig they went to. A band I know a lot of people got excited about going to see at Lava/The Lemon Tree, going into one up to buy their singles on all formats, trying to get a parent to pick them up after the gig (but not waiting too near the venue to avoid embarassment). That kind of rite of passage.

However, it seems completely stupid that people complain when a band they like gets popular, in a very organic way, ie. touring a LOT and gradually building up to bigger and bigger venues. Sure, they could play Barrowlands, but why play somewhere where a lot of people will miss out on tickets and be disappointed? Also, it's hardly shocking that a band signed to a major label would y'know, play big shows...

Guys, Biffy have not sold out.

If I had been playing the best and most inovative music in the uk for years, playing a shitload of gigs, whilst shite like the fratellis, view etc etc play massive gigs despite being shit and then they get the opportunity to record with gggarth and get signed to a major label and then play venues like the secc...would i say 'no thanks' ? Hell no.

Besides, despite the fact that Puzzle is not as experimental as previous albums, and is far more commercial, it still kicks arse.

So..yeah. Mon the biffy!

• Upvote 1

Guys, Biffy have not sold out.

If I had been playing the best and most inovative music in the uk for years, playing a shitload of gigs, whilst shite like the fratellis, view etc etc play massive gigs despite being shit and then they get the opportunity to record with gggarth and get signed to a major label and then play venues like the secc...would i say 'no thanks' ? Hell no.

Besides, despite the fact that Puzzle is not as experimental as previous albums, and is far more commercial, it still kicks arse.

So..yeah. Mon the biffy!

in what way were biffy ever experimental? or for that matter, innovative?

edit: should point out, don't have anything really against biffy but i don't think they could ever lay claim to being experimental or innovative.

Yes really.

You really can't imagine a hypothetical instance in which you would deem an artist as having sold out? I mean... by definition, a musician who's lyrics deal with anti-capitalism signing to a major label for lots of money would be selling out. End of story.

Not that I think Biffy are necessarily selling out by playing the SECC. It's their choice if they want to play in an aircraft hangar I suppose, and they probably know what their fans want.