aberdeen-music

Is anyone else disappointed that biffy are playing the secc?

i actually came on to start a similar thread. Yeah I am devastated.

Because I actually dont mind good indie/pop music, I have nothing against it however; biffys appeal to me were the fact they felt like my wee band with the strange song structures and time changes and things, the outsiders outsider.

I would have probably liked Biffy if they started off as a stadium rock band, but they didnt, they changed the music the made, and it seems like they did so purely to sell more tickets and CD's.

Bah... I still remember the days they did Far covers.

Really loved them as a band when "Thekidswho..." cd and pre-Blackened Sky singles first came out; but quickly grew tired of them when the other albums came out. Same thing happened with Hell is for Heroes; who I think would still be heralded if they stopped after the Neon Handshake album :love:

Sadly, many kids at my school are amazed that I was once into them, and have their first releases on cd. Reminds me that i'm getting old... :down:

i actually came on to start a similar thread. Yeah I am devastated.

Because I actually dont mind good indie/pop music, I have nothing against it however; biffys appeal to me were the fact they felt like my wee band with the strange song structures and time changes and things, the outsiders outsider.

I would have probably liked Biffy if they started off as a stadium rock band, but they didnt, they changed the music the made, and it seems like they did so purely to sell more tickets and CD's.

Exactly this.

I think the next album will make my mind up about them. I found/find Puzzle very listenable, but completely understand why lovers of their old stuff don't. But their recent claim that they're gonna do 'something special' with album #5 excites me, no matter how nave that may make me.

As for the SECC thing, I (along with probably everyone) would have much preferred a Barras gig. I'm in two minds whether to go or not. The fact that next to no-one at the last tour new the words to pre-Puzzle stuff really saddened (right word? fuck it, it's getting used) me. But I can still see myself going. Purely because they're still one of the few bands who's live shows leave me buzzin'.

Guest idol_wild

I washed my hands of Biffy Clyro the minute they came out and said they only make music now to earn money.

Vertigo of Bliss will always hold my attention, as will most of the earlier output. That's when they were motivated by the right things and maintained some level of integrity.

Bye bye Biffy Clyro. We had some good times and I'll try not to forget you.

It's not me; it's you.

Take care of yourself.

Guest idol_wild
Damn you Biffy for making a career out of music!

I think you're over-simplifying the point I was trying to make.

If a band's brand of music is geared simply and solely towards earning money, then I have a problem with that. Especially if musical output has changed dramatically to do so. Which it has in this case.

There should be greater and more important motivating factors for being a musician - if there was a heirarchy, then money should possibly be at the bottom.

Has their output really changed that much?

I only have blackened sky, which is great. But to my ears the recent singles don't sound much different in style. Who's got a match and Mountain still sound like Biffy to me, it's not like they've done an Idlewild style sea change and forgotton what a distortion pedal is.

latest album could have been an album that has/is yet to comer on the foo fighters roster.

Never understood WHY biffy were so popular with the kids. All this shpeel about how they were my band. Same at my school, fucking hugely popular amongst loads of folk, and still to this day dont understand why. Just boring

Has their output really changed that much?

I only have blackened sky, which is great. But to my ears the recent singles don't sound much different in style. Who's got a match and Mountain still sound like Biffy to me, it's not like they've done an Idlewild style sea change and forgotton what a distortion pedal is.

woa there on the idlewild thing. whole other argument and one that's been done to death already. needless to say idlewild grew up, they didn't completely change their style overnight just to get commercial success. they still use distortion though and they write better songs these days.

biffy have always been inclined towards being rockstars rather than mere artists or musicians.

woa there on the idlewild thing. whole other argument and one that's been done to death already. needless to say idlewild grew up, they didn't completely change their style overnight just to get commercial success. they still use distortion though and they write better songs these days.

Yeah, yeah I agree but I was just using Idlewild as an example of a band that has drastically changed their style from their early days.

By comparison I don't see the same size of difference between current Biffy and old Biffy.

i don't really care tbh, they are just meeting the demand of their fans in the central belt certainly don't think they could fill the aecc even the music hall wasn't full the last time.

don't see the new album as them "selling out" either, still sounds like biffy to me and its got some great tracks on it although blackened sky remains their best work imo.

Allegedly, its a big thank you to their current fans before they release the next album that is planned to be full of blEEps and BlOPs, they've recorded constant feedback on top of white noise from a 1979 Toshiba black and white TV mixed in with vocals sung backwards about galaxies far far away.

They will perform all this in a Kraftwork style fashion with Brian Wilson on piano.

Simon took the Foo Fighters comparisons real bad you bastards.

• Upvote 2