aberdeen-music

imp present: Approximately Infinite Universe (Finland + US) @ The Lemon Tree, 20 Sep

this has just been received from no signal after their 1st days practice

We are currently in Glasgow rehearsing and we can tell you that we are all very excited about what we're hearing. It'll be quite amazing.

We are getting a bit of additional press coverage the coming days (probably Guardian preview on north region) and online presence/interviews

Looking great for Aberdeen after tonight in Glasgow

Metro article

mmmmm

A few heavy metal acts such as masked Eurovision winners Lordi aside, Finland has a distinctly lower musical profile than its neighbour Sweden. But what Finnish music does get out tends not to be ringtone pop but dark and eerie fare, born of dense forests, misty lakes, midnight-sun summers and Moomins.

Approximately Infinite Universe brings together some leading artists from the Finnish underground, notably from DIY label Fonal Records, to create new music with kindred spirits in freak-folk, electronica and psychedelic noise from the USA. Fonal founder Sami Snpkkil, who creates gauzy, multilayered dreamscapes as Es, is paired with Fursaxa, an acid-folk mainstay of the New Weird America movement.

Jan Anderz* appears in two guises, first as abstract noise artist Tomutonttu, sharing the stage with fiery cosmic drone duo Skaters. Then the enveloping electronic washes of Karl Bauer's Axolotl take on Anderz*'s Kemialliset Ystvt, who mix wonky old instruments, electronic effects and distorted, gibbering vocals.

The final collaboration is a three-way meeting of two Statesiders and one Finn, with Samara Lubelski's breezy, Stereolab-like retro pop, Blevin Blectum's playful electronica and Islaja's spooky, dub-infused folk melodies finding common ground on an as-yet-untrod patch of musical earth.

Approximately Infinite Universe Tour | Metro.co.uk

best

Delighted to say todays Guardian newspaper The Guide has made

Approximately Infinate Universe @ The Lemon Tree tonight, their no ONE Pick of the Week for Scotland, the North of England & Ireland

they know it, we know it, our esteemed regulars know it, try to make it along & make this even more special.

Upstairs in the Lemon Tree tonight

Doors 7.30pm or 8.00pm, (Graeme will advise)

Despite having 3 Samara Lubelski albums , and 2 Islaja ones it was a surprise to see them (plus Blechdom etc) producing stuff which sounded at times like Throbbing Gristle, then the Velvets, then out & out pop! Very enjoyable!

It would've been nice to have a short intro to each combination of acts though....I recognised Fursaxa, Kemialliset Ystavat and the aforementioned gang, but wasn't sure who the 'other-half's were until I checked the website again today.

Still.... a big thumbs up from me.

I agree about an introduction for each. Wasn't that the original plan though? A video intro for each but instead they played all the videos at the beginning?

I thoroughly enjoyed it though, particularly Es with Fursaxa, and was happy to hear Islaja play 'Pete P'. Looking forward to the recordings.

Oh, does anyone know one of the videos played at the beginning- a woman with a bike, a dead body and blood-stained sheets- who was it and what song? Also who and what track for the video with the 'dancing' cat?

Oh, does anyone know one of the videos played at the beginning- a woman with a bike, a dead body and blood-stained sheets- who was it and what song? Also who and what track for the video with the 'dancing' cat?

I could try and find out, unless anybody else knows, but really you should have just asked, the people who made them were all there.

my 2 pence...

awesome night.. missed the vids at the beginning though... finishing my curry was more important at the time!!

really enjoyed the kemialliset ystavat + axolotl set

the skaters + tomutonttu at the end was ACE... so far out there thought i might not make it back....

would've been cool if there were less tables and chairs to allow for some wig outs/grooving...

GREAT work interesting mike and pals... hope to see more of this sort of stuff make it to aberdeen!!