aberdeen-music

Liverpool

lepeep

I've just come back from a long weekend in Liverpool.

I'd gone specifically to see the Klimt Exhibition...it's fantastic...all these years looking at his paintings in books and to see them in the flesh is just astounding...I'd highly reccomend it!

X-20080327151713562.jpg

Having a stroll round the Tate's permanent collection, I was really surprised to see so many iconic works in there, some fantastic things to be seen there!

I'd also "stumbled" upon the BlueCoat gallery, where there is a show of arabic art (mostly contemporary installation + photographic works), but it's a fantastic show too - well worth going to see.

I'd also checked out the Walker Gallery (their version of our Aberdeen Art gallery), wher ethey too have some surprises in their permanent collection - with two "special" shows on - "the age of Steam" (sounds dull, but it wasn't - they'd put on a good spectrum of steam train related art - and a quote from marinetti on the wall, which made me like the show even more.)

It's just a shame that someone had forgotten to approve building work a few years earlier...liverpool still feels like it's being built. You appologetically tip toe between building sites to get to "the attractions" - I get the feeling that it's going to be like that wayyyyy past the end of 2008 - a real shame for the city (or the people living there).

I got the feeling that the City would be a cultural gem, whether they have the title of "European City of Culture 2008" or not.

I did stroll up the cavern street - but I am no beatles fan so I didn't stop - but I did take a great photo (I'll post it later) of the brick wall of names who've played there....and it was of "Garry Glitter" - to which someone wrote "peado prick" or something like that on the brick... ho ho - I bet there was a queue.

I'd also "nipped up" to Newcastle and checked out the Nara show at the Baltic - this is spectacular, everyone should go see it. the Large hall (level 4) is filled with his temporary / fantasy houses / town, with his usual "big eyed rude kid" paintings in them, but the atmosphere of the place is superb, they also simulate night by dimming the lights every now and again....this show was just superb - go seeee it!

showmedia.php?file=L39220.jpg

I've just come back from a long weekend in Liverpool.

I'd gone specifically to see the Klimt Exhibition...it's fantastic...all these years looking at his paintings in books and to see them in the flesh is just astounding...I'd highly reccomend it!

X-20080327151713562.jpg

Having a stroll round the Tate's permanent collection, I was really surprised to see so many iconic works in there, some fantastic things to be seen there!

I'd also "stumbled" upon the BlueCoat gallery, where there is a show of arabic art (mostly contemporary installation + photographic works), but it's a fantastic show too - well worth going to see.

I'd also checked out the Walker Gallery (their version of our Aberdeen Art gallery), wher ethey too have some surprises in their permanent collection - with two "special" shows on - "the age of Steam" (sounds dull, but it wasn't - they'd put on a good spectrum of steam train related art - and a quote from marinetti on the wall, which made me like the show even more.)

It's just a shame that someone had forgotten to approve building work a few years earlier...liverpool still feels like it's being built. You appologetically tip toe between building sites to get to "the attractions" - I get the feeling that it's going to be like that wayyyyy past the end of 2008 - a real shame for the city (or the people living there).

I got the feeling that the City would be a cultural gem, whether they have the title of "European City of Culture 2008" or not.

I did stroll up the cavern street - but I am no beatles fan so I didn't stop - but I did take a great photo (I'll post it later) of the brick wall of names who've played there....and it was of "Garry Glitter" - to which someone wrote "peado prick" or something like that on the brick... ho ho - I bet there was a queue.

I'd also "nipped up" to Newcastle and checked out the Nara show at the Baltic - this is spectacular, everyone should go see it. the Large hall (level 4) is filled with his temporary / fantasy houses / town, with his usual "big eyed rude kid" paintings in them, but the atmosphere of the place is superb, they also simulate night by dimming the lights every now and again....this show was just superb - go seeee it!

showmedia.php?file=L39220.jpg

That looks rather inviting I have to say... I would go see but spent my 'spare' cash on visiting Tom Waits.