aberdeen-music

GYM Membership

rowan

Can anyone recomend a good reasonably priced Gym in Aberdeen..

Just checked the JJB website and there asking 37 a month!!

I'd rather be out of shape and have the 37 in my wallet..

I'm in the same boat- been going to One Sports in Bridge of Don for the past few months, but they've ceased trading. It was 19 a month off peak, 2 mins from my house and nearly always empty (hence why they've gone and bloody closed). Had everything you needed though and was great for the price.

Any thoughts on the Aberdeen Uni gym? Seems the next logical option for myself, but I've yet to investigate.

Gyms are for dicks.

I felt the exact same way, until I realised that the copious amounts of pizza, cake, cider and cheese that I consume were chunking me up. A gym membership says to me "another slice of pizza is alright- I'm a gym member..."

The only thing that seemed to get me out of bed early and exercising was the fact that money was coming out of my bank account every month for the privelege.

Anybody have any clue how much Cannons is? I'm going to be moving really close to it and need a new gym as I cant be arsed going all the way to AU at weekends to use their gym.

Last time I looked at it I think it was about 45. Can't remember if that was peak or off peak though, probably peak considering when I can go. It's certainly not one of the cheaper ones anyway, but it is a nice gym and it's in the city centre.

Every time I walk past they always seem to have a special offer on membership, so might be worth calling them. (for example their website is doing 4 week memberships for 39 just now).

The world is my gym.

seriously, going for a walk or a bike ride, climbing a hill etc costs nothing and gets you outdoors in the fresh air and new scenery. I'm sure I'm not alone in having bought a set of weights and an exercise bike only to have them languish in storage for months after a couple of weeks of use. Who needs a tread mill, rowing machine or exercise bike when you can do the real thing...

Guest idol_wild
seriously, going for a walk or a bike ride, climbing a hill etc costs nothing and gets you outdoors in the fresh air and new scenery. I'm sure I'm not alone in having bought a set of weights and an exercise bike only to have them languish in storage for months after a couple of weeks of use. Who needs a tread mill, rowing machine or exercise bike when you can do the real thing...

Exactly.

People used to come to me for gym recommendations quite frequently because I used to be pretty sporty - I would play competitive football several times a week and jog almost every day.

Yet I've never set foot in a gymnasium in my life.

But like you, I did once acquire a set of weights to build my upper body strength but they lasted about a month.

Last time I looked at it I think it was about 45. Can't remember if that was peak or off peak though, probably peak considering when I can go. It's certainly not one of the cheaper ones anyway, but it is a nice gym and it's in the city centre.

Every time I walk past they always seem to have a special offer on membership, so might be worth calling them. (for example their website is doing 4 week memberships for 39 just now).

Probably will phone them closer to the time. I could most likely get an off peak as long as they let me use it at weekends which would hopefully be substantially cheaper.

Chris put the link up in an earlier post. Muchos expense.

Cheaper than most of the commercial gyms in the city.

Also if you're a former RGU student it's cheaper again:

RGU: Alumni Membership

Even cheaper if you're staff or a student.

Generally I'm with Phil and Stripey though. Mainly because I already pay a monthly membership fee for martial arts which gives me a damn good workout, any additional work I need I just throw on some trainers and go for a run, get on my bike and head out the deeside line or just do some pushups/situps/squats in the flat (really need to do more of these though)

Having said that when I did a big weight loss phase a couple of years ago I got a free 6 week membership to cannons as part of a corporate health challenge thing at work. The act of getting out of the flat and going to the gym helped me do more than I'd do at home. Once I got to the gym it felt easier to stay there for an hour doing 10 or 20 minutes on each machine rather than just doing 10 minutes of one thing at home then thinking fuck it and hitting the couch. So if you're starting out then the gym can help you get motivated and stick to it (having large chunks of your monthly pay going to it can be a big motivator!).

Guest Neutral

If you dont use jjb for a month or two you can ask them to hold your place(for a holiday abroad or something) this reduces the monthly cost to 5 but the 37 a month is what you pay for full membership

Exactly.

People used to come to me for gym recommendations quite frequently because I used to be pretty sporty - I would play competitive football several times a week and jog almost every day.

Yet I've never set foot in a gymnasium in my life.

But like you, I did once acquire a set of weights to build my upper body strength but they lasted about a month.

Yes, true, thats good thatit works for you but some people (like me) prefer a regimented exercise schedule that means I have something on paper I can stick to and improve on.

I have been going to the Hilton Treetops gym for 2 years. Its served me well, despite its lack of free weights. However, what in lacks in free weights, it makes up for with the fact they havent asked for any membership fee for the last year so I've been getting in for free!

Quite unbelievably, I've managed to lose weight over the past month without any lifestyle changes.

I think thats called HIV...

I lift weights at home and am just about to start running in the mornings. I begrudge paying money to be surrounded by other sweaty people who are in better shape than me.