aberdeen-music

Right...Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"

Hog

HOWEVER, If I were to download it, I'd probably say that this album is a masterpiece, yes I am a total Metallica fan boy, but it is probably absolutely brilliant. It would probably feel like a collection of all Metallica's styles (something from EVERY album) blended into a modern metal album.

I'm guessing that The Unforgiven III has the potential to be a new favourite Metallica song, whichever review I read about it being better than the previous two are probably right. Other favourites (on paper) look set to be All Nightmare Long and The End of the Line, because they're probably just an assault of awesome guitars and great vocals from James.

By now, I'd have been able to listen to it three times through stopping to re-listen to Unforgiven III, III times. I'd imagine I'd have no real problems with the production and even though I liked St Anger I have a feeling Death Magnetic will make it look like a piece of shit.

I'm probably so fucking happy.

A fantastic piece of writing that probably put a smile on my face :D

Is the Judas Kiss probably quite good as well?

I bought it yesterday and have been blasting it in the car - as someone who is not overly fanatical about them but has slowly picked up their albums over the past few years when seen cheap, I think it's a good album. It sounds like an amalgam of their complete history, song structures hark back to the Master Of Puppets era but stylistically sounds often like the Load/Reload albums. There's even a riff or two that threatened to turn into something from St.Anger but veered away again.

If I have one criticism it's that the songs are too long. The odd-epic is fine but I find having every song lengthy wears me a bit.

I'm not really keen on the leading single from Death Magnetic, heard it two or three times now and it's not really stuck in my head on any level.

And the video is really anti-climatic, I know that its called "the day that never comes" but it's affa dull.

That being said, it could still very well be a good album, Ill probably pick myself up a copy on Friday (computers too slow to download)

Got the album on friday... song wise it is not too bad at all, I think the 3 songs they exposed before the release are 3 of the worst.

It just sounds like it was mixed by a name producer who doesn't know anything about metal. As the snare is so loud I don't want to really crank the volume, so as a result the guitars don't feel meaty enough in comparison. I'm happy enough though and it blows st anger away. Not better than the black album as some people suggest...

If I'd have produced the album (and had balls big enough) I would have said the following major points:

1) I don't care if you want a really loud "natural" sounding kit, it sounds like ass. This is what we're going for *hands Lars formation of damnation by Testament* And I'm bigger than you so there.

2) Guys. Guys. 3 or 4 long songs is cool. You're Metallica - go for it. But over 70 minutes of songs, all of them epic? We don't REALLY need that extra 15 minutes of third or fourth verses do we... We'll put those in the 'maybe pile' shall we? *sends to recycle bin*

3) Ok chaps. We've got some epicly long songs... and we've got some cool riffs. But where is the epic sections? Three part harmonies. Thats right, like the start of Battery or the end of And Justice For All. Yes, I know it's a lot less effort to write 50 riffs in pro-tools and copy and paste them together, but your massive post-Maiden middle sections of the mid to late 80's were an absolute treat on the ears.

4) James my son. Get your wife to pick up the kids, you're tracking guitars til 2am mate. What's that? Your wife is busy today? Fuck it, send Kirk. He ain't touching this record til solo time. And, yes I know you've already played that riff perfectly. Twice. We're going to do that again. And again. Layer it until it sounds like fucking SATAN.

5) Time out boys, I'm writing a letter to Andy Sneap. Dear Mr Sneap, The album is coming along nicely. Could you mix and master it please. Our budget is infinity billion pounds. Ta.

AWESOME - THIS ALBUM WINS NOW!

It beat Glas-"totally in right now"-vegas' new album to #1 in the Album chart, thought that was pretty cool.

I'm still taking time to listen to the whole album through properly, tho I agree so far about the loud snare and longish songs, but I should also add I the initial impression is that it's FACKEN AWSUM.

Currently hearting "All Nightmare Long" very much indeed.

Half the songs are really good (still could have done with a little less repetition, like I've mentioned before), but still enjoyable. Judas Kiss, All Nightmare Long, That Was Just Your Life, Broken Beat & Scarred and The End of The Line have some great bits here and there.

Kirks soloing is FUCKING SHIT though.

Not a memorable solo on there. It was cool around load/reload that he stopped playing fast because he at least wrote catchy memorable solos that worked with the song. But there isn't a single good melodic phrase or even a vaguely impressive lick in any of the solos on DM - which is a real shame.

This should provide some entertainment though:

637520400x400td8.jpg