aberdeen-music

uTorrent

KimyReizeger

Tiscali...?

It's a pain in the arse and there appears to be someone taking stuff off of me at a healthy rate.

Yeah tiscali use traffic shaping at peak times, have a look at the forums here thinkbroadband :: Viewing list of forums there is one dedicated to Tiscali that if you have read of might help suss out what they are up to with throttling. Basically all of thse ISPs on bt wholesale offering "unlimited" plans use traffic shaping. Some like Demon implement a fair use policy so you can download 50 gigs in a month and if you exceed it, they will throttle all your traffic 24/7 to some paltry rate until your monthly rolling total is under 50 gigs.

Have a look here Samknows Broadband - Broadband Availability Checker and see if your exchange is offering any LLU services such as O2 or BE which don't throttle and offer up to 24mbit. I was on bt internet for over a year, got totally sick of their service so I rang up and got a MAC number and switched to Zen internet within 3 days. 25 quid a month with a 25 gig per month quota, but if I want to torrent something it will come down at full speed regardless of the time of day.

are you on bt internet by any chance? I just left them because they throttle torrent traffic to 11k/s between 4pm and 1am. Almost every other ISP operating on BT wholesale (non LLU) in the uk is doing this at the moment.

Not sure if that is entirely correct....i get quite a bit more than 11kb/s during those times... I am on BT... sure speeds drops at peak times.... somewhere around a quarter.... still quite usable though.

Tiscali...?

It's a pain in the arse and there appears to be someone taking stuff off of me at a healthy rate.

Tiscali are utter shit if you use filesharing. As soon as my old ISP moved over to Tiscali's infrastructure my broadband became almost unusable for filesharing and gaming.

Which is a pain because it's not like I'm a particularly heavy user and I specifically paid for a higher d/l limit which I could never reach once they introduced throttling.

Haven't noticed any throttling in the evenings, I'm with Sky.

That's who I switched to. Much, much better than Tiscali/pipex/f2s that I was with before.

However it's probably only a matter of time before Sky put similar restrictions on their service.

That's who I switched to. Much, much better than Tiscali/pipex/f2s that I was with before.

However it's probably only a matter of time before Sky put similar restrictions on their service.

Hmm, yes, I'm moving soon and was thinking of ditching Sky as 99% of the TV I watch is on Freeview, but these commenst about other ISPs have left me a bit wary. That said, I'm not usually in a rush for stuff from uTorrent and can leave it on all night if need be.

really? Is that something on the computer or utorrent? I would try Utorrent right now but it might give my comp a headache..

It's on uTorrent. I just noticed that setting last night actually as I was investigating something on my computer. It's at the bottom of your speed settings, just a little checkbox that says "enable encryption".

Surely enabling encryption won't stop the bandwith throttling, it will just stop the ISPs from being able to snoop at what you are downloading. My understanding is that they are throttling EVERYBODY'S bandwith during peak hours, whether you are downloading torrents or not.

This is true to an extent. It will help get around some throttling and traffic shaping methods. But it won't help with others. For example one major ISP recently admitted to throttling all traffic not on port 80.

This is true to an extent. It will help get around some throttling and traffic shaping methods. But it won't help with others. For example one major ISP recently admitted to throttling all traffic not on port 80.

Who was that?

It'll be interesting to see if BT's 21CN will be merely catching up with demand, or if it'll provide a massive increase in capacity well beyond current demands.

Who was that?

It'll be interesting to see if BT's 21CN will be merely catching up with demand, or if it'll provide a massive increase in capacity well beyond current demands.

Ultimately, the bottleneck is going to be the copper infrastructure. ADSL2 probably won't offer me much benefit, as I'm not close enough to my exchange. Anyone unhappy with BT's fibre can choose a communication provider with their own fibre network.

Jesus.

uTorrent is now making my computer screw up. Every time I open it something inside starts clicking and everything freezes for around 5 seconds. Why can't illegal downloading be easier? Can't the government facilitate it in some way?

Bloody New Labour. Don't worry, "Dave" Cameron has promised to sort this out because he is down with the kids, yeah?