aberdeen-music

Dow on the Radio

jcn

Trust me, I don't think it's funny at all. It amazes me that he hasn't been sectioned.

For being a deluded and having a few wacky opinions? Bit harsh.

So we are laughing at the nut basically. It's not as if he has influence and needs to be stopped or the North East will end. Even if he's talking bollocks there's a part of me that admires absurd audacity in the face of scorn.

Trust me, I don't think it's funny at all. It amazes me that he hasn't been sectioned.

Why should he be, though? He has some crazy beliefs, but it's his right to believe that we live in a "fascist loyalist state".

Filming the kids through the window should be dealt with by the police (wasn't it mentioned that his CCTV equipment was confiscated, anyway?) - not by the mental health authorities.

And photographing children?

Well if you are down the playpark with one hand holding an SLR with a telephoto lense and the other in your greasy trackpants playing with your cock I suspect most people, including the police would consider you to be up to no good.

If however, you are down the playpark with an SLR taking snaps of the kiddies, one of whom happens to be your own offspring, there is nothing illegal about it atall. If you're in a public place you can't reasonably expect any privacy. As much as I think peter dow is a bit of a wierdo, the idea that it's somehow wrong for him to film the street from his window is completely misguided.

it's perfectly legal to take photos of children in a public place. in practice it's best to ask permission from parents or guardians before taking their photo though or expect some hassle. even that would be frowned upon in the current paranoid climate.

we're in the odd situation where in the future people will look back at our generation and have virtually no visual record(aside from family photos at birthday parties or something) of how western children played or went about their daily lives despite almost everyone owning digital cameras.

it's perfectly legal to take photos of children in a public place. in practice it's best to ask permission from parents or guardians before taking their photo though or expect some hassle. even that would be frowned upon in the current paranoid climate.

we're in the odd situation where in the future people will look back at our generation and have virtually no visual record(aside from family photos at birthday parties or something) of how western children played or went about their daily lives despite almost everyone owning digital cameras.

The thing I find personally horrific is the way that many council owned places now have blanket bans on photography because of "child protection" issues, yet the advice from anyone who is actually properly trained in these issues is that there isn't a problem. It's particularly ridiculous when you have a coach load of international students (all 19+) turning up at an evening disco session, who were all subsequently banned from taking photographs under the misguided policy.

Yet it remains entirely acceptable for a male skating coach to teach 3-4 year old girls in short skirts?

Something isn't right....

The problem is, people seem unable to trust others to apply common sense in these situations - if someone turns up, alone, and starts photographing children with a decent camera, then sure, they should be asked what they're doing. But common sense should be used, instead of these blanket bans.

The current mania for CRB checks for everything isn't doing much good either - a good situation is that I'm a warden of my university halls next year. I have to be CRB checked twice next term - once for the halls, and once for a part time job as a tour guide for the uni, despite the fact that these checks just reflect a snapshot in time and don't cover anything that might happen afterwards.

it's best to ask permission from parents or guardians before taking their photo though or expect some hassle.

Right, cheers for that. :laughing:

Seriously though, it's difficult to look at kids and not feel a pang of unnecessary shame. In theory it must be equally hard for parents aswell, knowing their gazes pretty much say 'get ur grubby mits off my kids u filthy raper' to any passing male. The only feasible way to watch kids is to feign the feminine penchant for giggling at the funny things kids do and swapping 'aren't kids fascinating' smiles with the mother.

And photographing children?

Not illegal at all - It is your intentions, behaviour or what you end-up doing with them that may possibly be an offence.

I've photographed several hundred kids for work in the last few weeks (running an event). The number of parents who refused me permission when asked - one!

IME, this has never been a problem. :)

(wasn't it mentioned that his CCTV equipment was confiscated, anyway?)

It was a webcam in the report I remember & I very much doubt it would qualify as "CCTV" under the act, for several reasons.

Dow may well have his problems & I don't doubt he is skating on thin ice with some of his issues but the inference in that report was way off the mark.

Not illegal at all - It is your intentions, behaviour or what you end-up doing with them that may possibly be an offence.

I've photographed several hundred kids for work in the last few weeks (running an event). The number of parents who refused me permission when asked - one!

IME, this has never been a problem. :)

Are you male or female though?

The current mania for CRB checks for everything isn't doing much good either - a good situation is that I'm a warden of my university halls next year. I have to be CRB checked twice next term - once for the halls, and once for a part time job as a tour guide for the uni, despite the fact that these checks just reflect a snapshot in time and don't cover anything that might happen afterwards.

Is anyone else worried about what he's got planned??

He is right though - A CRB check is very similar to an MOT in this respect - Only valid at the moment of issue.

Never mind that a lot of folk with "offences" (which can cover a wide range of things, incl out of context cautions etc) from before 1990 may only get patchy results/disclosure.