aberdeen-music

Black Affair

KimyReizeger

Did anyone else see Black Affair at the Peacock arts centre last November (or thereabouts)? Read this article:

No 323: Black Affair | Music | guardian.co.uk

I honestly couldn't believe how bad they were. Two guys, one playing 90s American skate punk bass, the other impersonating Ian Brown and banging notes on a Microkorg. Poor sound, no attention to detail, unsubtle, unjustifiably arrogant trash. I don't understand how they could even begin to merit an article in Guardian, let alone this:

Black Affair is the new venture from two established sonic explorers with a history of playful invention

If they're 'established sonic explorers', I'm Captain Cook gone House. Can anyone explain this? I'm aware one of them was in the Beta-Band, maybe that accounts for something? I mean, they really were completely hopeless; something you might see on a really bad night at the Tunnels in my estimation.

If they're 'established sonic explorers', I'm Captain Cook gone House. Can anyone explain this? I'm aware one of them was in the Beta-Band, maybe that accounts for something?

I'll explain that part for you with the able assistance of wikipedia. It's not hard to look this stuff up you know, especially since you have gone to the repeated trouble of slating an article from a few months ago and a gig from last year. ?(

The Beta Band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jimmy Edgar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bear in mind that Jimmy Edgar is the album producer, not the live bassist.

It's entirely your perogative to slate the performance. I'll disagree and leave it at that.

I'll explain that part for you with the able assistance of wikipedia. It's not hard to look this stuff up you know, especially since you have gone to the repeated trouble of slating an article from a few months ago and a gig from last year. ?(

The Beta Band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jimmy Edgar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bear in mind that Jimmy Edgar is the album producer, not the live bassist.

It's entirely your perogative to slate the performance. I'll disagree and leave it at that.

The reason I brought it up again was not just because I wanted to slate them, but because I wanted to understand better how they manage to warrant things like praise / respect / wikipedia pages, all based on the fact I stumbled across a somewhat bloated conception of them in The Guardian.

So what you're saying is this - the reason they exist in the state they do (the one I've just given) is simply that they've done good things before? Very interesting; that genuinely explains something.

So what you're saying is this - the reason they exist in the state they do (the one I've just given) is simply that they've done good things before? Very interesting; that genuinely explains something.

In a word, yes.

I guess that's the easiest way to describe a 'new' artist / project to someone - by highlighting what they have done before. And also I guess that's what the Guardian did in the article you highlighted, before describing the new project.