aberdeen-music

Tarantino appreciation thread

Lemonade

I may well be the biggest Tarantino fanboy in the world but I'm already uber-excited about Inglorious Bastards. Especially if he manages to snare Di Caprio and Brad Pitt. Can he pull off a war film?

Inglorious Bastards (2009 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love Tarantino's snappy dialogue and the cool as ice characters he creates. Do you know about all the crossovers in his movies? All the references and homages? His habit of only using songs that have already been written? His ability to take washed up actors and bring them back from the dead? How much better would Natural Born Killers have been if he had directed it himself instead of letting Oliver Stone ruin it? Is he in fact God? What's your favourite Tarantino movie? Bring it on. :love:

Reservoir Dogs will always be my fave.

I remember going to midnight showings at the Odeon with my mate Sean.

It wasn't til the third time we went i actually remembered any of it due to the fact we always got shit-faced before going in.

I bought the Mr. Blonde delux boxset with flick-knifecomb and hair gel lol.

Good Times!

I actually went to Reservoir Dogs at the Odeon on the first day it came out. I had read all the hype about it in Empire magazine (this was pre-intermeweb) and was so excited I got the bus in after school on a Friday afternoon to go and see it at a 5pm showing, on my own (yes, I was/am sad), must have been 1992?

Only a handful of people there, same with True Romance not long after. However I remember going back to the Odeon to see Pulp Fiction when it came out and it was packed out (albeit on one of the smaller screens).

Jackie Brown's pretty good, same with Kill Bill, but Death Proof was ding. I saw the long version, maybe the whole "Grindhouse" experience would have been better, but two hours of birds sitting round talking does not an exciting film make.

I actually went to Reservoir Dogs at the Odeon on the first day it came out. I had read all the hype about it in Empire magazine (this was pre-intermeweb) and was so excited I got the bus in after school on a Friday afternoon to go and see it at a 5pm showing, on my own (yes, I was/am sad), must have been 1992?

Only a handful of people there, same with True Romance not long after. However I remember going back to the Odeon to see Pulp Fiction when it came out and it was packed out (albeit on one of the smaller screens).

Jackie Brown's pretty good, same with Kill Bill, but Death Proof was ding. I saw the long version, maybe the whole "Grindhouse" experience would have been better, but two hours of birds sitting round talking does not an exciting film make.

I was lucky enough to catch Grindhouse in it's original form one Friday night in Vue (4 people there since they didn't bother advertising it), it runs a lot better when it's 20 minutes shorter, a lot of the scenes of the girls just sitting about chatting are taken out and it doesn't drag at all. Agree it's not his best moment like. I can't see past Kill Bill personally, it's an absolute epic. I even cried at one part. In the cinema. Like a big gay.

Yeah I quite enjoyed Planet Terror (though only the first time, second viewing was a little lame) for its ridiculousness. The doctor was really well acted. Random Bruce Willis cameo to boot.

But Death Proof made me want to cry.

I remember arguing with a couple of smug friends who had seen it and declared that it was terrible. I hadn't seen it and I thought they were just trying to go against the grain and appear iconoclastic to piss me off, but that they secretly really liked it on the inside.

I actually couldn't fathom Tarantino making a bad film after absolutely loving Jackie Brown and Kill Bill, but after seeing the diabolical Death Proof (*spits on own floor*) I lost all future hope for his "talent" and my smug friends were proved correct.

As a result I now couldn't care less about Inglorious Bastards, as he would have to make the greatest movie of ALL TIME to wipe the putrid, stinking semen covered slate of his career clean.

I occasionally wake up screaming in the night with a mind matted and focussed on the hideous flashbacks of witnessing four detestable, poorly written and acted female characters talk shit about their periods for two hours. Indeed, two hours that I will never get back.

*spits at own computer screen*

Fuck you Tarantino; fuck you.

• 10 months later...

So, Inglourious Basterds hits cinema screens next month. Anyone else excited about it? I wasn't sure about QT doing a war movie but after reading about it in Empire it sounds really effing good. Also the prospect of Brad Pitt spitting lines of Tarantino dialogue has me wet with anticipation.

Kill Bill is the boss as far as Tarantino goes. His previous efforts were all good, but reeked far too much of 'cooler than you'. Splitting it in two seemed ridiculous at the time but the pace of Vol II would have seemed like a gash ending if it were all one film.

Not to fussed about Inglorious Basters, it was slated by most critics in Cannes. I'll still go to see it but my guess is that it'll be another film in the vein of Grindhouse: i.e. trying to hard to be the coolest b-movie in history, featuring loads of obscure homage and retro effects and of course, gratuitous gory violence.

Also, anyone high enough to tell GQ that they "may have been shakespear in a past life" is a world-class bell-end.