aberdeen-music

Decapitation on a Bus in Canada

Bigsby

Yes, public transport is great, honest.

Passenger beheaded on Canada bus

Police say they do not know what may have provoked the attack

A man on a Greyhound bus travelling across the Canadian Prairies has killed and decapitated a fellow passenger.

An eyewitness said the victim was stabbed 50 or 60 times by the man sitting next to him, who then severed his head with a large knife.

The driver pulled over and passengers fled from the bus, bracing the door to keep the attacker inside.

A 40-year-old man was arrested after a stand-off lasting several hours and remains in police custody.

The bus, with 37 passengers and a driver aboard, was travelling from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

"All of a sudden, we all heard this scream, this bloodcurdling scream," passenger Garnet Caton told CBC television.

"The attacker was standing up right over the top of the guy with a large hunting knife - a survival, Rambo knife - holding the guy and continually stabbing him... in the chest area," Mr Caton added.

The attack continued as passengers fled the bus and waited for police on a desolate stretch of the TransCanada Highway near Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.

Mr Caton, the bus driver and a trucker who had stopped at the scene boarded the vehicle to see if the victim was still alive.

"When we came back on the bus... he was cutting the guy's head off and pretty much gutting him up," Mr Caton said.

The attacker ran at them, Mr Caton said, and they ran out of the bus, holding the door shut to prevent him getting out.

"He calmly walks up to the front [of the bus] with the head in his hand and the knife and just calmly stares at us and drops the head right in front of us," Mr Caton said.

"There was no rage in him ... It was just like he was a robot or something," he added.

A 40-year-old man was arrested by police at around 0100 (0700 GMT) on Wednesday night, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt Steve Colwell told reporters.

He said that police apprehended the suspect after a confrontation lasting several hours when the man broke a bus window and tried to escape.

The man has not yet been charged, Sgt Colwell said, adding that he could release no further information on the investigation.

The RCMP have not identified the suspect or the victim.

When the attacker tried to drive the bus away, the driver disabled the vehicle.

"Some people were puking, some people were crying, other people were in shock ... everybody was running, screaming off the bus," Mr Caton said.

Sgt Colwell said the "brave" behaviour of the passengers and driver probably prevented anyone else from being hurt.

Other passengers said that the attacker and his victim were sitting at the back of the bus and the victim, described as around 20 years old, was listening to music through headphones.

The attack appeared to be unprovoked and it is thought the killer did not know his victim.

The passengers have been taken to a hotel in Brandon, Manitoba, and are being given crisis counselling.

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Passenger beheaded on Canada bus

Where are the pro-bus lobby now, eh?

I heard that on the news this morning.

Its pretty fucked-up.

(new nomination understatement of the year)

I couldn't believe it at first.

When they said he held the head up before starting to disembowel his victim!!

I had to wait for the story to repeat just so I could make sure i heard them properly.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Bizarre, but after sitting through umpteen journeys on the No.17 bus listening to strung-out stick insects bawling out their methadone-infested personal affairs in a voice calculated to wake the dead, it's only a matter of time before it catches on over here...

X-(

this is what happens when you wear an ipod.

surely the battery ran out in the middle of his favourite song?

(that can happen too on a "tape cassette player" (a "walkman") - remember, those new fangled gadgets that people went mad for in the 80's - or a "Portable CD player" - another wizz bang invention that let people listen to music "on the move" - crazy ass holes! We should only be listening to music on a wax cylinder!....no!....LIVE! and ONLY LIVE!

"He carried the victim's severed head back and forth on the bus "taunting" officers, she alleged, and was observed "cutting body parts from the victim and eating those body parts" using a knife and a pair of scissors."

Cannibalism as well o_O

This boy certainly doesn't do things by half !

His plea of being "temporarily Hank Marvin" might afford him some leniency though!

...and to think, I was considering taking up a job offer in Edmunton!

I know damn fine effort! Scary stuff 'She said he had a plastic bag containing his victim's ear, nose and part of a mouth in his pocket when officers arrested him.' WTF!! Was he planning on making a soup with it later?? 'Some passengers had been watching the film "The Legend of Zorro" on bus television ' Explains a lot!! I swear I was that close to doing the same thing! Antonio Banderas has a lot to answer for!