aberdeen-music

Laptop recommendations?

Scorge

Though I'd get some opinions: my old Samsung V25 is just about kaput, and I need a new one pretty quick!

Budget is around 500 - it doesn't have to be too powerful because it's not being used for gaming or such like, just a simple functional one will do.

Thoughts/horror stories welcome.

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Why don't you fucking go to PC World and ask them instead of asking a bunch of fucking randoms on a music forum about computers, you fucking fuck?

EDIT - Whoops, no idea how Tam O' Shantie found out my password...

:up:

A Core 2 duo processor and 2gb+ of RAM would be what I'd be looking out for if I were you (and perfectly manageable on your budget).

If you don't know much about what you're buying avoid PC World like the plague. I bought a laptop from there last week because I knew I was getting a good deal, but watched as some poor soul asked for assistance then ended up purchasing a horrificaly overpriced system.

Guest Neutral

Under no circumstances get a Fujitsu Siemens

Get a laptop with at least a 2 year guarantee - seriously, these things always seem to fuck up in the first year or two and are really expensive to repair

Go to dell http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&id=vostronb_1000&l=en&s=bsd

customise that laptop to these specs http://www.pissaff.com/pop/dell-vostro-1000.htm

250 + 17.5% vat = 250 + (43.75(reclaimable)) + about 25 for shipping is about 323.75 - 275.00 if you reclaim the vat

This laptop comes with a 4 year warranty, xp drivers are readily available if you have a copy already

Guest Neutral
Personally I'd say to be careful with Dell. I had a Dell laptop and actually didn't have any issues with mine but the build quality is at times quite questionable. They also aren't particularly sturdy from experience. It depends what model you go for but this is just a general observation.

The home laptops are dubious but the vostros are built for business users and more sturdy

most laptops i think are dubious quality this is why you should get the longest warranty possible with a laptop(desktop is another story due to ease of repair)

vaios are overpriced, they used to be good value and I've bought three altogether, but now they are really just far too expensive for the spec. I guess it's no coincidence the price went up and the styling went OTT since some judicious product placement in films over the last few years.

Toshiba offer good value for money at the moment, but tbh with a budget of 500 quid there are loads of good deals around regardless of brand, especially if you're just looking for something to use for general internet shit and ms office. 300 quid these days will get you a perfectly acceptable laptop.

I still have a toshiba laptop I bought in 1997 when I was at uni and it works perfectly, whereas the p4 2.4ghz vaio I bought roughly 4 or 5 years ago I've had to remove the lcd panel from because it failed and the battery doesn't last over 15 minutes. It's basically not any use as anything beyond a NAS and shell machine. Also it weighs a ton, something to watch out for with these "desktop-replacement" laptops with ridiculously huge screens.

I second avoiding fujitsu siemens btw, the build quality is poor and I've seen a couple with cracked cases and also suffering from overheating problems.

• 5 months later...