aberdeen-music

The music club is now open...

Hi

The Music Club in Langstane Place is now open from 10am til late Monday to Saturday. Come and check out the latest venue in Aberdeen city centre. Live music, food, drink, informal sessions, workshops and room hire.

We are looking for musicians and bands to play - all styles welcome. Contact reception@themusicclub.co.uk or drop by for a chat with your demo if you have one.

Join our mailing list at The Music Club

Hope to see you soon.

Thanks,

The Music Club.

Me and Liz (Elizabeth on here) went in on Saturday. Real nice building/set up. Seems REALLY new, we thought that might have been their first day open, but no. Paninis and teas and that, and wee bit more formal than Kilau etc, but still relaxed enough. There's a stage with drumkit already set up, so "jams" must be quite frequent. They had a piano too.

I asked the guy at the counter/bar about the music stuff and he said anyone really can get involved. They encourage most stuff - poetry readings/jazz/country. No gigs will be held though, much more of an open mic/playing in the background kinda setup.

The food was quite good but there were some weird fillings (weird to me anyway) - chicken, cocunut sauce or something, and peanut butter. Liz said it was nice. *shrugs*

We got there quite late though, and most of the more popular stuff had gone.

Alot of art on the walls, looks as if a real effort had been made! There were signs for function/reception rooms too.

I'd encourage folk to at least give it a go. :)

Hey Ol,

It's a cafe / bar, live music venue. You can hire the venue as Graeme from imp said and we are also encouraging informal jam sessions. We are busy programming events and hope to have more to offer each week. We will be introducing workshops and group music activities asap and are keen and excited to meet new people from the Aberdeen scene, so drop by and have a look.

We have live jazz this Friday with Kate Gieben & Colin Black and an Open mic night staring next Tuesday hosted by local musician Neish (Eric Euan). I posted a now open message which is on the aberdeen-music home page - very clear for all to see! Maybe our marketing has been slack up until now however, we have spent a lot of time and money building the venue and it's very easy to criticise!!

Introducing a new venue to Aberdeen can only be a positive thing and we are working hard to develop the business so please bear with us as we tackle a huge to-do list!

I am new to using aberdeen-music and my first impressions are that the general vibe of this forum is pretty negative and I would like to see it being a whole lot more open minded and friendly.....if you want to pro-actively encourage local musicians / bands and music businesses to use the site and network effectively it would certainly help to lighten up. ( And I know it's purpose is to let people express their opinions and debate etc....so no need for narky replies thanks :)

Why don't you all drop by and introduce yourself - and if you want to play or promote a gig let me know or just sit in for a coffee or a beer?!

Website is being developed just now and will have more detailed info soon.

Cheers for now,

Gordon

The Music Club

The chairlift at the entrance is good, and the lift, too...although I used the stairs (honest!). The 'dead' piano frame in the entrance would make a great piece of wall sculpture if you could get it fixed up near the stage. I suppose it'll take a while to get a 'lived-in' look,.....but all the best with it...I hope it becomes a fixture on the scene :)

Hi

Yeah that's us! Rubbish weekend - we couldn't open because our roller shutter came of it's runner and collapsed and has been stuck past couple of days and we couldn't gain other access to the building until today. Sorry about that but we are hoping to have the problem fixed today and I'll post back and let you know.

Cheers

Gordon

IIRC, it was either a garage/showroom or possibly part of the Langstane Press - They had a substantial stretch of the street until production moved down to Palmerston Rd in the 70s & only kept-on a shop & office after that.

Enjoyed my brief visit on Friday but I did wonder what was going-on on Sat when I found the place closed.