aberdeen-music

Top 10 Films

Alkaline

As the title suggests. Feel free to describe why you like the films or just list them. I have a feeling this thread will probably descend into a verbal brawl but who cares. What's life without discussion?

1. Blade Runner- Utterly amazing dystopian backdrop with great dialogue and has real depth in its delivery and imagery. Harrison Ford, Sean Young and Rutger Hauer are a sight to behold and are amazing from start to finish. Hauer's dialogue in particular is so dense and littered with brilliant metaphors and imagery. All 5 proper cuts are worth watching in my opinion.

2. Night Watch- Simplistic and stylized but has some amazing action sequences without looking too Hollywood about it. The characters are equal parts likable and detestable.

3. Blue Velvet- Lynch at his absolute best. Dirty, unhinged and malevolent. Dennis Hopper is amazing as Frank Booth. The use of Bobby Vinton's song "Blue Velvet" within the film is haunting.

4. Chasing Amy- Easily the best romantic comedy ever written. It has some amazing trademark Kevin Smith moments but also steps ahead of the usual dick-joke blueprint enough to stand head and shoulders above his other films. Ben Affleck and Jason Lee's interplay is very reminiscent of several of my close friendships (minus the threeway of course)

5. Brick- Absolutely classic Neo-Noir full to the brim with a modern hard-boiled dialogue and great acting from Joseph Gordon Levitt. The plot is a classic noir-esque piece with a nice slant to it.

6. The Machinist- The depth to Christian Bale's acting in this film is unbelievable and actually made me look at him in a new light acting-wise. Great use of paranoia and suspense and is a lot better than contemporaries like Memento.

7. Spirited Away- I honestly don't think i've been as moved by an animated film. It has an amazing score and the animation is beautiful, as is the story. Absolutely wonderful from start to finish.

8. Sin City- Yet again another classic neo-noir. I love the visual treatment and dialogue and the acting (particularly Brittany Murphy and Mickey Rourke) is great. I know it's probably a cliched choice but i like it a lot.

9. Singles- Captures the "grunge" scene perfectly and is a bittersweet love story worth persevering with. Cameron Crowe has a real knack for picking a great story and running with it.

10. The Pianist- A poignant story executed (sorry) perfectly by Polanski, who was clearly at his best, and delivered in an epic and tasteful way. Adrien Brody really shone in the main role which was a total surprise given how shit he was in Summer of Sam and The Thin Red Line. It is one of only 3 films that have moved me to tears.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reverse order my top ten films of all time are as follows :

10 : The Batman (1943)

09 : Batman the Movie (1966)

08 : Batgirl (1967)

07 : Batman (1989)

06 : Batman Returns (1992)

05 : Batman Forever (1995)

04 : Batman & Robin (1997)

03 : Return to the Batcave (2003)

02 : Batman Begins (2005)

01 : Batman The Dark Knight (2008)

Guest idol_wild

In no particular order, my favourite ten films at the moment include:

The Third Man

Les Quatre Cents Coups

Citizen Kane

Kes

The Usual Suspects

The Big Sleep

Amelie

Blade Runner

The Exorcist

Touch of Evil

Guest idol_wild

And there we have it: contrary for the sake of it! ;)

Stripester - you never disappoint me.

You might want to diversify a little. All that Batman can't be good for you :)

I only reasoned for films I thought might need defending... :p

- Jaws

- Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Imho the best of the Python films.

- Blade Runner

- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Harrison Ford is great as Indi, but for me Sean Connery makes this film his scenes with Ford are fantastic. The less said about the sequal the better.

- Clerks

- The Green Mile

- *cough* Predator *cough*

- The Blues Brothers

- Ace Ventura Pet Detective

- Stakeout - Sneaks in at number 10. I've always loved this film, I think it's really funny and Richard Dreyfuss is great in this. I'm a sucker for a good buddy cop film.

....actually looking at my list. I am indeed Hollywoods bitch. Ah well.

I'm not an avid movie watcher, but my favourite film is Withnail and I. I can watch it over and over again and still find it funny. Richard E. Grant is a deluded and depressed character in it which he plays marvellously. The script is razor sharp too, I actually bought a copy of the screenplay. Other than that, I end up just enjoying shite like Commando or Kickboxer for sheer mindless stupidity...

I'm not an avid movie watcher, but my favourite film is Withnail and I. I can watch it over and over again and still find it funny. Richard E. Grant is a deluded and depressed character in it which he plays marvellously. The script is razor sharp too, I actually bought a copy of the screenplay. Other than that, I end up just enjoying shite like Commando or Kickboxer for sheer mindless stupidity...

I have honestly never seen Withnail and I. It's never really appealed to me.

I'd heard of it and saw it in FOPP one day for 3. I doubt I've watched a film as many times as it. Possibly The Exorcist (another great movie), but that scares the shit out of me too much nowadays...

I was never bothered with the Exorcist until i heard Christopher Lee doing the talking book version. Now that was amazing :)

I'll no doubt have missed ones out, but these 10 I like a lot (no particular order).....

Oh Mr Porter

Diva

Night of the hunter

Passport to Pimlico

Les Enfants du Paradis

Life is sweet

Key Largo

One from the heart

Manhattan

It's a wonderful life

Bubbling under 10...

Paris, Texas

The Abyss

Let George do it

The Ladykillers

Carry on Screaming

Can she bake a cherry pie?

Quai des brumes

The African Queen

Morgan, a suitable case for treatment

London belongs to me

(most of mine are heart-warming, 'cos I'm a big sentimentalist!)