aberdeen-music

Average White Band

Lemonade

Who'd have thunk that funk this good could come from Dundee?

YouTube - Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces

YouTube - Average White Band - Put It Where You Want It [OGWT, 1973]

They never seem to get any credit for being a great band, especially strange since in this country we'll bleat on about any old pish as long as it's Scottish.

they played at the Montrose Music Festival which we played at this year.....though i must admint i never seen them.

Guest treader.
They hold the reigning title of 'Best Scottish Funk Track' for PUTP, but its there for everyone else to aim at.

ah, but sir, you forget the hexagonal pensioners.

Guest Giles Walker

Schoolboy Crush is a better tune than PUTP in my opinion, i can't really stand hearing that tune anymore as it reminds me of 90s students.

other tunes that also remind me of unoriginal students latching on to what they think is funk include.

Labelle - Lady Marmalade

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Not actually called Superstitious btw)

Strange story about Picking Up The Pieces is that James Brown reckoned that it was a staright rip off of his tune 'Hot Pants' called them out on it in interviews and also released his own version of it under the name 'Above Average Black Band'

Aberdeen band A.P.B's record 'Shoot You Down' is far funkier in the traditional sense than PUTP and they even supported James Brown in the early 80s

I am not wanting to downplay The Average White Bands place in pop funk history here, i just think they are pretty widely known, appreciated and respected already.

Saw them in the Ironworks, Inverness a couple of months ago and they gave what could only amount to a masterclass in funk. They have so many songs that are so well known, but you wouldn't guess it was AWB. I'd defy anyone to go to an AWB show and not have a good time!!

(Blatant Plug - Inverness funk band The Leonard Jones Potential play the Moorings on Saturday!!)

Best Scottish Funk Track does not mean parity with Funkadelic or anything, and overexposure can be a terrible thing, but I still likes it on occasion. Wild Cherry was a bandwagon jumping deal from the off, and agrree on 'Lady Marmalade', but have a fondness for 'Superstition' due to the version of it we used to do in Optoplan, didn't even sample it, but used a midi file we found. That SLAYED the first Kia-Aura Boat Party in '99

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treader.
Ah the Moorings. Is there anything it can't do? World beers, big jukebox, good bands... though would topless barmaids really be too much to ask?

judging by the staff...yes.