aberdeen-music

Bass Advice

Ecurb

I personaly dont see the point of playing with a metronome, the object of the thing is to end up playing with human beings...doesnt a metronome suck the life out of your playing?

Do drummers practice to a metronome?

My old drumming teachers suggested a metronome, and it worked out ok. I suppose it wouldn't suck the fun out of playing half as much as a rhythm section that kept going walkies anyway.

Clyde you know it....lol ???????????????????????

You're a moron, and I don't even feel I'm being out of order saying it. Stop acting all high and mighty and putting other posters down for not having as much experience/students/skill as you when you evidently don't know who they are or what they may or may not have achieved.

Regarding the metronome point, I feel that a strong grasp of timekeeping certainly doesn't detract from "feel"- if playing in a band situation with other musicians timekeeping is integral. I'd certainly recommend practising with one, especially if just starting out.

I'll catch you crazy cats on the flipside...lol??????????????????????

If you are learning about timing and phrasing a metronome can be a really useful tool. It just depends on how disciplined you want to be in your practise and what you want to achieve. I've never felt that playing with a metronome detracted from any feel. Quite the contrary I feel. The job of the rhythm section is to keep it tight, but that doesn't mean that it has to be uninteresting.

Groove is something that is fluid, and the loosest sounding of grooves are actually incredibly tight, but they know what to do with the phrasing. Unless you understand timing then that's not possible.