Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
Stage times, etc? Cheeeeeeers

Running order:

Steven Milne - 20:30 - 20:55

Woodenbox - 21:10 - 21:40

Sidca - 21:55 - 22:25

Be A Familiar - 22:45 - 23:45

These are approximates, naturally. Though not too approximate, I hope.

great gig, shitty turnout. it's heartbreaking to see good promoters losing money on decent line ups like this.

all the bands were ace but surely band of the night was woodenbox, a total surprise and a treat for sure. really good kinda blusey rootsy folky sound and some great songs. good use of a loop pedal too :)

Guest idol_wild
Had to miss a lot of this to catch the train home but I was impressed by Steven Milne and Woodenbox.

That's a pity - you would have really appreciated Sidca, I feel.

Thanks for coming and showing support though. 8-)

i enjoyed last night, bought a woodenbox single and thought be a familiar are one of those bands that will slowly become a favourite of mine.

saw a bit of sidca but spent most of their set chatting to the Baf soundman (hes a friend of mine from glasgow) so i apologise for missing them and cant really say an opinion coz i saw 1 song!

criminal turnout but a great night, well done phil and thanks for having me play.

dave - was hoping to get a couple of your shots for bio purposes but maybe they didnt turn out good coz theyre not up ( i heard tunnels can be a nightmare), if you have any worth using id be up for a copy. if not we can maybe do a shoot sometime.

x

Guest idol_wild

criminal turnout but a great night, well done phil and thanks for having me play.

Sunday night syndrome and all that.

I would never normally put gigs on on a Sunday. I have done so twice - both a favour for Be A Familiar and in the process I have lost 150 of personal money, yet Be A Familiar didn't even thank me last night. In fact, they moaned.

But hey, that's what pop stars do, right?

Thank you for playing and taking a few folk along, Steven - as always you were annoyingly slick! ;)

I would never normally put gigs on on a Sunday. I have done so twice - both a favour for Be A Familiar and in the process I have lost 150 of personal money, yet Be A Familiar didn't even thank me last night. In fact, they moaned.

Thank you for playing and taking a few folk along, Steven - as always you were annoyingly slick! ;)

thats a bit wide that they moaned. i wouldnt take it to heart, i have had a few diva strops at dhc (bands moaning about changing times on the day when they didnt turn up for soundcheck! / moaning that its quiet). sundays are a hard sell and i thought id have more people down, i did do a wee run of texts but my reliable people (say 10 who always come) were all in edinburgh for the festival.i wanted more to come down.

good night was had tho and anytime you need an opener give me a shout

After all the good things been said on this thread (or maybe not)... and having a little listen on myspace, I've managed to get tickets for a free gig down here with Be A Familiar and Endor (another fantastic Glasgow band) at the Oran Mor. Miller (the beer) are doing these gig nights where you put your mobile number in and you get 2 free tickets. :up:

cynical two pence,

you don't do this for a living and therefore are doing out of appreciation for the bands. If the bands can't even acknowledge this with a simple thank you then (in my eyes) they are simply not worth your time and money.

In a broader sense, this is one of the reasons why I only do DIY gigs. Everytime a band of a "were about to be big" status start throwing around guarantees and start the moaning I usually tell em I can't help, usually they either play for someone else and make them lose money or come back at a shorter notice / come back in a few years/next few tours time when they are past their best. Ive seen this happen in many cases (painful for all involved, inc the band themselves)

In most cases, we can be assured of one thing, loyalty means very little once these type of people do start to hit the "bigger" status, their booking agent will go where the money/larger potential crowd/venue is. however, they will want to be our friend when they are being screwed on some shitty tour support with no accommodation and need a floor/familiar face :)

Well, I enjoyed the gig on Sunday despite being quite tired.

Steven's set was really good - I think it was the first time I've seen him. The Dylan cover was a particular highlight for me. He managed to hold my attention for his entire set which I think is a very difficult thing to do if you've only got your voice and an acoustic guitar.

Woodenbox - despite the turnups - were cool too. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but there were some really good tunes played.

Sidca - Buckie!

Be a Familiar - I fucked off home as I'm an old man and can't hack it anymore.

Guest idol_wild

I shall retract this as they have subsequently expressed their gratitude.

I think I'm right in saying they are possibly returning to Aberdeen to play Snafu in October. Y'all should roll up and see them. They are, and probably always will be, an excellent group of musicians.