aberdeen-music

New Ascension Song + Intro!

Rickicaz1279

I'm not having this either, that's bollocks. Too many "bands" round here don't bother with recordings other than shitty Cryspace MP3's, do a handful of local gigs and then fold in a sea of extreme indifference. As much as Weapon do fuck all musically for me, at least they put in the time and effort to release things. A release leaves something tangible.

:up:

The problem is most new bands are young students that possibly cannot afford it.

I'm not having this either, that's bollocks. Too many "bands" round here don't bother with recordings other than shitty Cryspace MP3's, do a handful of local gigs and then fold in a sea of extreme indifference. As much as Weapon do fuck all musically for me, at least they put in the time and effort to release things. A release leaves something tangible.

Yeah thats fine if you have a job, Im still at school and "shitty cryspace mp3's" are all I have the time for and can afford.

im just saying its not a very good way to judge a band, especially when most local bands spend very little money on recording, or use very cheap equipment to record,

Bad news: ANYTHING you release is a representation of your band which can be judged, whether it's a slick polish-athon that cost you several hundred/thousand in a half decent studio, a 20 year old ghetto blaster job in the back of the rehearsal room like we churn out, or something in the middle (home recording on a budget/5-6 hour studio quickie). People can only take at face value what it in front of them, and you have no divine right to expect them to turn out live just because 'well our recording's a pile of clunge discharge, but see as live and we'll BLO UR SOCKS OFF LOLZ'.

This thread prompted me to dig out the first Ascension demo: it is an absolute fucking shocker, and there are several reasons for it, but what you will learn over time as that people really don't, and shouldn't give a toss about that. When you record, you do the filtering, and you control what goes out, and if you have budget constraints/a bad take/not enough time to record/have to get the guitarist to play bass on the record because your bassist got arrested for sexually assualting a pig, then that's tough shit, frankly. You learn through experience.

PS: Don't let Doc be seeing you've said 'fuck recording' after all the money he spent on his studio set up, ho ho......

Its pretty easy to produce a high quality recording at home these days, but the thing that usually shows the difference between a pro recording and a bedroom recording is the drums. Indeed even alot of big bands are tending to record everything at home apart from drums and vocals which they would go to a studio for. I think this is probably the best way to get a high quality recording that is fairly cheap and i think thats what we'll start doing from now on init.

Seagate studios in dundee seems to get a good drum sound and is better than anything i've heard from Aberdeen. So its pretty much between there and the slightly more pricey Thin Ice studios for the next Ascension recordings :up:

Too many "bands" round here don't bother with recordings other than shitty Cryspace MP3's, do a handful of local gigs and then fold in a sea of extreme indifference.

Completely agree. In fact this isn't something I can necessarily 'agree' (or disagree) with as such because it's a fact.

Bad news: ANYTHING you release is a representation of your band which can be judged, whether it's a slick polish-athon that cost you several hundred/thousand in a half decent studio, a 20 year old ghetto blaster job in the back of the rehearsal room like we churn out, or something in the middle (home recording on a budget/5-6 hour studio quickie).

And this is also very true.

In addition, regardless of budget; musicianship and/or attitude (or lack of) will ALWAYS come across in a recording. The huge difference in quality between certain band's Captain Tom's output is testament to this.

.....have to get the guitarist to play bass on the record because your bassist got arrested for sexually assualting a pig, then that's tough shit, frankly. You learn through experience.

I WISH bassists learned from this experience but alas....getting laid is getting laid in some peoples eyes.

There aint much bands that can say they made "proper" recordings when they first joined is there? come on!!

Most bands sound shit or less impressive at the start usually because they are fine tuning their sound, changing band lineup and most importantly being tight as a band.

I

Yep, that tightness possessed by most new bands really hampers their music.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
The problem is most new bands are young students that possibly cannot afford it.

Sorry, piss-weak excuse. It needn't cost a bomb to record anything, I've done it for minimal outlay for years and I'm happy with things as they've turned out. You can record onto a cheap, knackered old ghetto blaster and copy the tapes yourself if you have to, depends what effort you're willing to put in.

Sorry, piss-weak excuse. It needn't cost a bomb to record anything, I've done it for minimal outlay for years and I'm happy with things as they've turned out. You can record onto a cheap, knackered old ghetto blaster and copy the tapes yourself if you have to, depends what effort you're willing to put in.

The point i was making was about decent recordings not any old shite that'll do.

Im not wanting to arque with you any furthur but the recordings on your page don't sound any better than the quality of acensions.:down:

ascension are a mile better than anything jake wifebeater could ever produce. wifebeater sounds like a drowning cat in horse manure. that said everyone is entitled to their own opinions, even if it is out of jealousy!

Wifebeater didn't put up the tracks on a public forum and ask you for feedback though.

And if anything they would proabably take "a drowning cat in horse manure" as a compliment on accounts of the viscerally comical yet brutal image it conjurs.