aberdeen-music

New Ascension Song + Intro!

Rickicaz1279

• 1 month later...

Ascension truely are a talented band. Although it is live where they shine, iv never seen such as energetic Aberdeen band live before. They engage whatever size of audience they have with charisma.

The guitarists in particular piss all over half of the musicians on here, which to be fair is a trait of power metal. I myself don't really like power metal but after seeing them live on advice of my friend I left with a grin on my face.

Given better recordings and some more time they could be very successfully. albeit in a niche scene in the uk.

Ascension truely are a talented band. Although it is live where they shine, iv never seen such as energetic Aberdeen band live before. They engage whatever size of audience they have with charisma.

The guitarists in particular piss all over half of the musicians on here, which to be fair is a trait of power metal. I myself don't really like power metal but after seeing them live on advice of my friend I left with a grin on my face.

Given better recordings and some more time they could be very successfully. albeit in a niche scene in the uk.

And no mention of the bassist :p

Oh DEAR:

50059133.JPG

PS: I gave Moongate a listen earlier on: sounds like a Twlight Time era Stratovarius tune, but because that album is about 16 years old, that may not be a compliment.

PPS: Another line up change? Are you Spinal Tap in disguise?

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Just ignore them though, you fill a gap in the local scene whether others like it or not:up:

You have got to be kidding, son. This place is chock full of disposable metal bands, we need another one like a hole in the head.

Not :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Are there are other power metal bands in aberdeen?o_O

Active ones that is

Couldn't give two hoots and a handjob if the answer's yes or no. Just think it's funny that you're acting like these cats are the greatest new thing since pay toilets. 2 things:

1. They've been on the go years.

2. The last few times I saw them it was pretty generic metal with nothing to write home about. Wouldn't say it was a waste of oxygen, though...

Blow smoke up their arses all you want, but going ridiculously over-the-top about it just makes you look like an utter crawler. Unless you've got a "boyf" in the band or summat?

I just thought it was wrong that the band were getting such a backlash at the beginning and being a fan myself I wanted to defend them.

There isn't any need to be stupid referencing the fact that i'm "involved with one of band members". I'm a fan, simple as that.

True that they ain't that far from dragonforce or other related bands but they isn't much else like it in Aberdeen and you really can't arque with that.

What makes you think paying toilets are a good idea anyway shouldn't we be allowed to shit for free?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I just thought it was wrong that the band were getting such a backlash at the beginning and being a fan myself I wanted to defend them.

There isn't any need to be stupid referencing the fact that i'm "involved with one of band members". I'm a fan, simple as that.

True that they ain't that far from dragonforce or other related bands but they isn't much else like it in Aberdeen and you really can't arque with that.

Backlash? That was fuck all, some of the abuse flying round a few years back on this site was off the page stuff. That was nothing, believe me...

So, you "involved" with the band or not? Sure sounds like it.

Right, so because there's no other power metal bands in Aberdeen that's good enough reason to fawn like a muppet, is it? The "they're local, so support them no matter what" mantra isn't worth a piss. Doesn't matter if they're from Drumlithie or Denmark, it has no bearing on the quality of a band.

Backlash? That was fuck all, some of the abuse flying round a few years back on this site was off the page stuff. That was nothing, believe me...

So, you "involved" with the band or not? Sure sounds like it.

Right, so because there's no other power metal bands in Aberdeen that's good enough reason to fawn like a muppet, is it? The "they're local, so support them no matter what" mantra isn't worth a piss. Doesn't matter if they're from Drumlithie or Denmark, it has no bearing on the quality of a band.

As far as i know - this dude has no connection what so ever.

Meh glad he likes us.:)

There are currently no active power metal bands in aberdeen apart from us, Unless Everwicked are still doing things, but i dont think they are....i believe there are probably one or two trying to start up in aberdeen...but as mentioned before, its such an obscure and demanding genre, its probably quite difficult to find a complete set of commited power metal musicians willing to form a band

As for carnagecamca, thanks for all the support! Its good to hear positive things about us on this site for a change :) we have no reason to listen to the naysayers.

Guest idol_wild
There are currently no active power metal bands in aberdeen apart from us...but as mentioned before, its such an obscure and demanding genre, its probably quite difficult to find a complete set of commited power metal musicians willing to form a band

That's all well and good. Well done, you must be proud of that.

And it's all well and good that the musicianship involved is of a super high standard.

It's just a pity it sounds shit.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
its probably quite difficult to find a complete set of commited power metal musicians willing to form a band

As for carnagecamca, thanks for all the support! Its good to hear positive things about us on this site for a change :) we have no reason to listen to the naysayers.

And it's even more difficult when people get chucked out of the band on a weekly basis.

Naysayers? If you put up a thread requesting feedback, don't throw a pissy-fit when you get some feedback.

What some people don't seem to understand is that not everyone splits metal into loads of pedantic sub-genres. Ascension are a metal band; there are loads of metal bands all over the place. Even then, this exact stuff is done better by say black atom (and infinitely better by Swordmaster just down in Dundee). But enough of that...

Okay - i want some constructive feedback on this. Whats actually wrong? what would improve it etc?

Minus the lyrical content (which has been discussed already).

I listened to moongate (not the intro), the vocals are unbearably cheesy, boring and unoriginal. Same with the riffs. In places it sounds a lot like the darkness (without the, uh, irony). The guitarist is quite good but the solo left me cold (and this is coming from a massive guitar geek; god knows what a normal person would think of it). scalar runs then sweeped arpeggios then harmony lines have been done to death, it sounds like a warm up to a practice session. I love shred, but it's got to be more interesting than that.

• Upvote 1

What some people don't seem to understand is that not everyone splits metal into loads of pedantic sub-genres. Ascension are a metal band; there are loads of metal bands all over the place. Even then, this exact stuff is done better by say black atom (and infinitely better by Swordmaster just down in Dundee). But enough of that...

I listened to moongate (not the intro), the vocals are unbearably cheesy, boring and unoriginal. Same with the riffs. In places it sounds a lot like the darkness (without the, uh, irony). The guitarist is quite good but the solo left me cold (and this is coming from a massive guitar geek; god knows what a normal person would think of it). scalar runs then sweeped arpeggios then harmony lines have been done to death, it sounds like a warm up to a practice session. I love shred, but it's got to be more interesting than that.

Thanks, shall forward on :)

What some people don't seem to understand is that not everyone splits metal into loads of pedantic sub-genres. Ascension are a metal band; there are loads of metal bands all over the place. Even then, this exact stuff is done better by say black atom (and infinitely better by Swordmaster just down in Dundee)

Was just about to post the exact same thing regarding Swordmaster, points for you (cheap plug: they're playing here on the 19th October).