aberdeen-music

Soul Calibur 4

>>RosS<<

If you follow the series, i'm sure you'll be aware that there have been hundreds of shops breaking next fridays release date and selling the game early.

Just wondering if anyone has spotted it for sale in aberdeen anywhere? Perhaps in ASDA or something, i know they are pretty bad for sticking to dates.

Cheers

It's absolutely amazing, and if I were not working then I would be at home playing it now! If you liked any of the other titles in the series then it's worth a buy. It doesn't introduce any major new features to the series (apart from online play) but everything is polished and the graphics are absolutely stunning. It also holds the honour of having the most acomplished character creation mode I have ever seen. I'v already made Raiden from Mortal Kombat to add to my character roster!

It's absolutely amazing, and if I were not working then I would be at home playing it now! If you liked any of the other titles in the series then it's worth a buy. It doesn't introduce any major new features to the series (apart from online play) but everything is polished and the graphics are absolutely stunning. It also holds the honour of having the most acomplished character creation mode I have ever seen. I'v already made Raiden from Mortal Kombat to add to my character roster!

I didn't even know it had a character creation mode.

Thats sold it for me. Loved the others but thats just pushed it over the edge.

Plus i wanna be Yoda.

...and in the 360 version it seems. Some internets site has hacked it and found he is on the disc. No doubt namco will put him up as dowloadable content a month or two down the line for a premium price.

Yet another clever ploy that will end up costing geeks like me a couple of quid.

Initial thoughts, in pro and con format,

PRO's

+ The removal of huge buffering windows has (hopefully) removed all the 2G/22G rubbish that made SC2/3 unplayable at high level

+ The tiers seem a lot more compact now, nobody seems god tier yet, and very few seem bottom tier. Seems like a lot of work has gone in to creating a balanced game this time round, thank god it isnt a sc3 rush job.

+ You can no longer GI throws

+ The old clone characters have new movelists, which for the most part, are all viable.

+ Looks great, framerate is solid.

+ Hilde is an awesome addition to the rost, plays nothing like anyone before in SC. (think balrog and the tun around punch)

CON's

- Without a doubt the worst netcode of any recent online fighter (besides tekken, which uses identical pathetic netcode)

- The single player modes are pathetic, and the A.I is still a farce.

- Practice mode is awful compared to recent fighters, please look at VF5 next time.

- The slashing of the buffering input window has really hurt soem characters (ivy in particular)

Is anyone here playing this for real? Im sure you have realised that with such a huge amount of input lag, the online mode is waste of your time.

Im currently trying to find some people to hold some offlien games nights. Playing this, perhaps SC2 depending on demand. Plus Super Turbo or whatever anyone else is game for.

Please reply if you fancy some beat 'em up action that isnt 2sec input lag mashfest :)

EDIT:

I remember having a street fighter 2 thread on this forum some time ago, and if I remember correctly there were a bunch of people claiming they were good. Do you guys still play? Would you be up for some local, offline, friendly games with some booze? Would you like to help to contribute to the non existent aberdeen/scottish beat em up scene? Myself and a few friends of mine have somethign in the works, but some numbers would be great to get things going.

It's very easy to get into as far as beat 'em ups go. There arent many hard to grasp combo's or inputs to learn, so you should get up and running before long.

I'd advise picking Maxi, Kilik or Mitsu as your starting character, they arent the most powerful in the game but they have very basic combos and you should feel comfortable with any of them before long.

Just dont be put off by the online mode, it really isnt worth playing. And if you spend time trying to get good at it, you'll only be wrecking your offline game.

If you fancy some games and perhaps some heads up advice to learn to play, reply here and hopefully some other n00bs will appear and make a we can make an aberdeen-music night of it all.

To be honest the vast majority of the 102 online games I'v had have been fine (360 version). There ARE a lot of cheap bastards on the ranked matches, but the player matches are mostly good. I guess it depends the location of the oposition and how good their connection is.

On a side note I'm up for some fighting action, and I'm sure I could rope in some others too.

Got it today and just played 30 mins or so, did the career with Kilik and Yoda. There is alot about the game that is actuallly awesome, it looks amazing and the animation is spot on, but about 5 minutes in I remembered that I really am not into beat em ups. I don't like memorising combos even if they are simple, I might aswell button bash, which I did and won very easily on Normal difficulty. What drove me totally nuts is they use A,B,K,G to represent X,Y,B,A, the minute I was back in the action I had forgotten what the actual buttons were and just pressed what I liked. I'll try out the other modes tomorrow, maybe give a bit of extra patience to learning moves, but I also got Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, which is pretty fun and The Orange Box, so competition for my time is fierce.

I'm confused, so the online mode really isn't worth playing and the single player modes and AI are terrible too?

Pretty much, but the only way to really get into beat em' ups is to play against other people locally. Playing against A.I, only really teaches you to win against A.I, and 99% of the tactics folk use online won't work offline where you can block and GI on reaction.

I'd advise having a look at Soul Calibur 2 - Home to learn some basic tactics for your character, and some bread and butter moves. That is, if you can stomach the elitist idiots that populate that place.

@ Skull Commander

Great, getting a bunch of people would do wonders for everyone's game, and no doubt be great fun also. Only issue is a venue for said games. Ive had instances where people meeting up through a game has went brilliantly, and ive made solid friends from the experiance. Other times ive experienced near fist fights, and im sure nobody wants to see the flying pad window smash drama repeated in their own house.

Unfortunately, with cafe lan gone, there really isnt anywhere in aberdeen to host nerd fests. I guess rounding everyone up and going for a few beers wont do any harm, just to make sure there arent any personality clashes etc.

What do you reckon dude?

Anyone feel free to hit me up for some games of Sc4 at some point online though, my 360 tag is C0rbul0.

I've basically been playing the same few people at the same few games the last few years, so I know how good I am against them but thats about it.

Aslong as nobody ends up with a sour face on it should be good, hopefully everyone can up their game a bit and have a good laugh in the process.

Sounds good though, i'll round up some aberdonians on my live friends list that i've never met and get them to join the fray also. Keep me up to date :)