aberdeen-music

What has happened to the guitar solo?

Lemonade

Looking at the kind of 'alternative' bands that have been popular in the last 10 years or so, very few of them feature outstanding guitarists. Most of the popular bands play fairly straightforward chords, and simple lead parts, and speaking as a fairly average guitarist myself I rarely find modern rock stuff that I can't play along with. The likes of Green Day, Nirvana, White Stripes, Foo Fighters, My Chemical Romance, all the punk bands from the early 00's, all the current emo bands, the 90s grunge bands, there's rarely a guitar solo to be heard among them, and it's not often now you'll hear a guitarist be praised for his amazing guitar skills.

Of course there are still bands who do this, but talking from a more mainstream point of view, it's been a long time since I was impressed with a guitarist. Back in the poodle rock days of the 80s, no band worth their salt didn't have a minute and a half guitar solo with finger tapping, pickslides, widdly noises etc. and while I am sure there are people in bands these days that could still do this, they would probably have the piss taken out of them if they tried. Not to mention all the fills etc. between riffs.

I've sort of lost the point I was trying to make in the middle of that, but I think what I was trying to say is that in modern rock circles it seems to have become uncool to be very good at your instrument, the likes of Zakk Wylde, Nuno Bettencourt, Angus Young, Slash, Randy Rhodes, Eddie Van Halen etc and other 80s rock legends can play the ass off any guitar but their fast style seems to have become a thing of comedy to be made fun of. Back then it was a pre-requisite for a band to have a great lead guitarist, and all supremely talented musicians, but now it doesn't seem to matter worth a shit. So what's changed?

Anyway, I've lost my point again, but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to get at. "You don't have to be a great musician to be a great musician". Discuss.

Technical skill doesn't necessarily make a good song, and often, doesn't.

I rate Bright Eyes music well above Joe Satriani cos he has amazing lyrics and nice chord sequences, and Conor Oberst barely plays the guitar.

That's one example, but theres plenty more.

People get fed up with long solos that lead no where and are just guitars being self indulgent.

For the purposes of the thread could you explain this?

He's just a total knob, what other explanation is necessary?

Other well known knobs in bands:

J Kay out of Jamiroquai

Damon Albarn (the bass player's a knob as well)

Paul Weller

MIke Love out of The Beach Boys

Elton John

David Crosby

Sting

Pete Townshend

Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield out of Metallica

John Lydon

Kele Okereke

Bjork

Axel Rose

Rufus Wainwright

Bono

Billy Corgan

Noel and Liam Gallagher

Madonna

I'm sure more will come to me later.

J Kay out of Jamiroquai

Paul Weller

Elton John

David Crosby

Sting

Pete Townshend

John Lydon

Kele Okereke

Bjork

Axel Rose

Rufus Wainwright

Bono

Billy Corgan

Noel and Liam Gallagher

Madonna

So basically you just hate successful people who dare to have a bit of arrogance. Musical value out the window..

J Kay out of Jamiroquai

Paul Weller

Elton John

David Crosby

Sting

Pete Townshend

John Lydon

Kele Okereke

Bjork

Axel Rose

Rufus Wainwright

Bono

Billy Corgan

Noel and Liam Gallagher

Madonna

Why is Rufus Wainwright a knob? I've never heard anyone say that about him before...

Why is Rufus Wainwright a knob? I've never heard anyone say that about him before...

Please bear in mind that this is nothing to do with their musical ability and that I think Rufus Wainwright is a very talented and intelligent individual.

However... he's just a bit too intelligent for his own good, totally up his own arse (insert your own obvious gay puns here), and just an all round knob. :up: