aberdeen-music

London Stories?

kingofdeon

Aright lads, lassies,

We have our first ever London gig coming up and was wondering what it was like gigging down there?

We have sold a fair amount of tickets (mainly through friends) but i just wanted to know if anyone had some decent stories to share...any advice etc etc.

Cheers

Steve

Kashmir Red

Pay C-Zone.

Phone venue in advance to check parking/loading arrangments (make sure isnt on a red route for 100%). London parking fines are 120, so not nice.

London crowds can be very cold, if they think you are shit, you will know about it.

haha - fuck we get a bad enough reception up here! I look forward to it....

Some place called Sound in Leceister Square. Its a random venue through some random promoter. Not really the place reknowned for live music in london - well rock anyway - but always a good chance to get out the Tunnels for a night (no offense Hen).

We have alot of fans (ok good mates) there so we have sold about 50 odd tickets already.

As i said just good to try new ventures.

The crowds are also cold as ice.

I had the opposite experience with Psycho A Go-Go, every time we played London we got a really good reception and sold shit-loads of merch. We were pretty much always playing with bands that we on the same label as us for the most part, so it was always a friendly crowd I guess...

Guest idol_wild

To be honest, I think you'll go down an absolute storm if it's the right bill for you.

Especially if you have 50 mates going. 50 drunk people can make one hell of a positive racket!

Good luck, chaps.

To be honest, there's no way of knowing what your gig will be like. It's a bit like a London band saying "we're playing in Scotland, what will it be like?" There's so many different places, and different scenes, you could be playing somewhere like King Tut's, Jumpin Jaks or the Scabby Dog in Kelso. It's all there. It's a bit of a risk taking a random gig like that - the fact that it's in London doesn't mean it will be any different from anywhere else, but don't worry about it. The gig itself is probably secondary anyway, just concentrate on having fun while you're down there. And don't go near the street hot dog sellers...

Kashir Red - First London Show

Hi Steve,

This venue is right in the centre of London. It is a big place with lots of glass so you can see everyone dancing from the street. It is not at street level but has three levels on two upper floors. It holds more than 1,000 and is a busy venue that mainly concentrates on R&B. Level three has the main stage and there is a smaller one on level four. The fifth level is a mezzamine floor that lets the cognoscenti oversee all the action. (50 a head to gain entrance to this upper sanctum)

As the location is right in the centre of London it is a very difficult "Get In" for any band. There is a small lane round the back that can be accessed from Lisle Street. The nearest car park is 200 yards away.

I have a file with all the stage sizes, plus full details of the lighting and sound rig, 48 ch desk etc etc. I will PM it to you so as not bore everyone on this Forum with the technical details.

It is a lively place and is always packed - especially on a Friday night - the night you are booked to play.

It has very strict door staff who tend to let good looking French and Swedish girls in for free before 8.30pm. They generally want to charge at least 20 later on (the doormen I mean!). It stays open till about 4am so make sure when you are actually due to play.

Don't eat in their fifth floor restaurant as a small steak cost about 30. There is a KFC right across the road.

If some independent promoter has hired the place for the night make sure you get your money upfront.

Despite a massive lighting rig the owners tend to keep it pretty dark - wear something bright so the band looks good on stage and remember to post some photographs on this Forum.

Enjoy your first London appearance.

Hi Steve,

This venue is right in the centre of London. It is a big place with lots of glass so you can see everyone dancing from the street. It is not at street level but has three levels on two upper floors. It holds more than 1,000 and is a busy venue that mainly concentrates on R&B. Level three has the main stage and there is a smaller one on level four. The fifth level is a mezzamine floor that lets the cognoscenti oversee all the action. (50 a head to gain entrance to this upper sanctum)

As the location is right in the centre of London it is a very difficult "Get In" for any band. There is a small lane round the back that can be accessed from Lisle Street. The nearest car park is 200 yards away.

I have a file with all the stage sizes, plus full details of the lighting and sound rig, 48 ch desk etc etc. I will PM it to you so as not bore everyone on this Forum with the technical details.

It is a lively place and is always packed - especially on a Friday night - the night you are booked to play.

It has very strict door staff who tend to let good looking French and Swedish girls in for free before 8.30pm. They generally want to charge at least 20 later on (the doormen I mean!). It stays open till about 4am so make sure when you are actually due to play.

Don't eat in their fifth floor restaurant as a small steak cost about 30. There is a KFC right across the road.

If some independent promoter has hired the place for the night make sure you get your money upfront.

Despite a massive lighting rig the owners tend to keep it pretty dark - wear something bright so the band looks good on stage and remember to post some photographs on this Forum.

Enjoy your first London appearance.

cheers mate - great info there.

also i'll bring my glow stix!

French and Swedish Ladies...very nice.......actually any ladies...