aberdeen-music

[GIG] Flatlands + 1864 In Art + more tbc @ Tunnels 2

Interesting night. Only saw 1864 In Art and Ablach. Enjoyed watching 1864 as I've been hearing so much about them it was good to finally see what they were about.

Quite fascinated by Ablach if the truth by told. Without meaning to offend anyone, I'm keen to hear from grindcore fans what they enjoy about this kind of music? I can feel the brutality of it watching it live, but do you listen to it at home? Can you pick up on the nuances of what is being played etc? How can you tell the difference between what is good and what isn't? Like I say, I'm not trying to diss it or say it's rubbish or anything. Just genuinely interested to hear from those who like it.

I left just after Ablach to catch Amy Sawers at Drummonds which is much more my cup of cha.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it may have been different from the moorings gig the other week.

Same songs, slightly different order.

Great night, thought our set went pretty well and thanks to everyone who came to see us and said nice things to us afterwards. Also our thanks to Jim for his fantastic work over the short period we've been around and the 2 gigs we've played so far. He'll be a hard man to replace.

Ablach had some moments where I managed to get into it but I was having to concentrate hard to hear the music through the blast beats and vocals. Not really my thing I'm afraid.

Flatlands were fucking brilliant. Monolithic in fact. Top marks for having an evil Bill Bailey on bass as well.

I thought Kaddish were great as well, shame more people didn't stick around for them but it was a weeknight I suppose.

Cheers to Dave for putting us on.

Quite fascinated by Ablach if the truth by told. Without meaning to offend anyone, I'm keen to hear from grindcore fans what they enjoy about this kind of music? I can feel the brutality of it watching it live, but do you listen to it at home? Can you pick up on the nuances of what is being played etc? How can you tell the difference between what is good and what isn't? Like I say, I'm not trying to diss it or say it's rubbish or anything. Just genuinely interested to hear from those who like it.
The more you listen to it, the less same it sounds. There's a world fo difference between good and bad grindcore.

Guest treader.
that's a shame. what made you think they were going to sound like isis? don't think anyones ever said that they would, pelican perhaps in a couple of songs. i think they've managed to avoid sounding too cliched though which is quite a feat with an instrumental band. it would be much easier to just rip off pelican or the long instrumental sections of isis. in saying that, i wasn't there so it may have been different from the moorings gig the other week.

sorry i missed this though, just too busy this week to make it out. bah.

yeah, i agree that it was relatively original and it is nice to see/hear that these days.

i dont know, i just wanted more from them. i think i'll be at the next few gigs of theirs to try and help me make my mind up. but i still enjoyed what i heard last night.

1864 in art:- was a bit confused by them. Enjoyed the majority of songs, but you really shouldn't have played the last one. It put me off a lot, the chap at the front was incredibly self-indulgent and it left me very cold at the end of what was an otherwise good set.

Ablach:- ace as always

Flatlands:- absolutely phenomenal, they probably should have played last even if they had played to slightly less people.

Kaddish:- think I need to see them again to make up my mind, technical difficulties and quite poor sound didn't help, but when they were good, they were cracking.

Interesting night. Only saw 1864 In Art and Ablach. Enjoyed watching 1864 as I've been hearing so much about them it was good to finally see what they were about.

I left just after Ablach to catch Amy Sawers at Drummonds which is much more my cup of cha.

At least your open minded about it!

I suppose getting into heavier music is like one of those albums you have to play a few times. You get used to it. As Teabags said the more you listen the more you can pick out.

What do I like about it? The energy...same as any rock music.

1864 in art:- was a bit confused by them. Enjoyed the majority of songs, but you really shouldn't have played the last one. It put me off a lot, the chap at the front was incredibly self-indulgent and it left me very cold at the end of what was an otherwise good set.

We love playing that one so it's unlikely that it'll disappear from the set sometime soon. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Assuming you're talking about Jan, he wants to be Billy Corgan, that should explain the self-indulgence.

Howson, did you listen to our myspace before coming to the gig? Just wondering, as all 5 songs we played are on there.

Guest treader.
We love playing that one so it's unlikely that it'll disappear from the set sometime soon. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Assuming you're talking about Jan, he wants to be Billy Corgan, that should explain the self-indulgence.

Howson, did you listen to our myspace before coming to the gig? Just wondering, as all 5 songs we played are on there.

i had a listen to the one song that starts off all twinkly (think it was possibly...third in the set) and i quite liked that, but i didnt have time, at the time, to listen to more and properly absorb what was going on. like i say though, next time you guys play, i'll be there for a more informed decision.

1864 in art - thought they were great. Moments where you could make obvious comparisons to Pelican, but those Kyuss inspired riffs were magical. Really really impressed.

Ablach - Totally great, just a sea of noise, blast beats and dual vocal mayhem, can't really go wrong can you?

Flatlands - Meh, they were ok, singers voice was a tad annoying every now and then. Guitars didn't sound that great, a little too muddy for my tastes. All the atmospheric build ups were great though.

Kaddish - Out of all the times I have ever seen them, this was the best. Guitar was a too loud (not my fault) but the passion was really there tonight and overall, i was just feeling it. Fucking excellent.

I enjoyed 1864 quite a lot. I thought your bassist was ace as well! Shame he is leaving, he'll be a big loss to the band. I'll no doubt come see you guys again.

I liked ablach but I dont really listen to stuff like that at home but I really like seeing it live. Saying that though I was going to pick up an EP. But I forgot. Mainly because I was half cut by that point.

Flatlands were great, annoying cymbal stand though.

I really liked Kaddish, thought they were great. It annoyed me how the set up in the middle of the floor though, as It prevented any silly pointing-circle-things/rowing boats/pyramids. It's ok though we made up for that in Exodus. :up:

Although I don't listen to the style of music and know nothing about it, I kind of enjoyed Ablach. There was one song where the double kick just meshed with a huge chunky riff very satisfyingly.

I had to leave after only a bit of Flatlands, they seemed pretty good, reminded me of Isis' quieter interludes.

Kind of wish it hadn't been a schoolnight so I could have had more beer and seen all the bands.

Cheers to everyone who came down.Especially to the bands and scott for coping with the lack of cabs at the start.

Impressed by all the bands.

My only gripe is that charging 4 doesnt give you enough money to play about with.Turnout was good but still didnt let me pay bands enough.If I ever do another show it will probbably be slightly dearer.

i quite enjoyed last night.

1864 in art just didn't hit the spot for me. i think all the riffs lacked that darkness i like, too jolly for me. seemed ok, i just didn't enjoy it unfortunately. probably see them again at some pointto see if there's any changing my mind.

i don't really get grind. Ablach seem pretty good at what they do though, and the dual vocals do work really well.

Flatlands are great. They just do that quiet--->>>>>loud thing really well. its predictable, but its lovely + crushing at the same time.

Kaddish =

image.php?type=T&id=16136

shame about the sound and pedal problems.

Here's my opinion.

1864 In Art- Not really my cup of tea but pleasent enough. There were some good Pumpkins and Pelican-esque moments in there though. The 2nd and 4th songs were my favourites out of the set as they played through better and seemed cohesive and better structured. Also tone wise it could've done with a meatier sound.

Ablach- I may have been interested in them 10 years ago but they really did nothing for me. Yet again the guitar tone was absolutely balls, far too muddy for my tastes. I guess they're good at what they do, vocally in particular. Dave has a great voice though i wasn't as keen on the low growly stuff that the other guy was doing. The covers were the better parts of their set too.

Flatlands- They, along with Fall Of Efrafa and Manatees, are honestly my favourite British bands at the moment. They are so epic and bone-crushingly massive sound-wise. They weren't as good in T2 as they were in the Balcony but that may have been due to room acoustics. The songs are great too. The new ones in particular have a nice pace to them but still remain titan-esque in stature. Can't wait for the new album.

Kaddish- I hadn't seen them in ages and it was a pity that they had technical hitches amp-wise as it greatly impeded the flow of their set for me. The vocalsit could've done with a touch more volume as well. I also liked thier off-stage presence too when they were playing, it saved me the bother of getting too animated (not that i do much at my age). I enjoyed their set though. It was a pity that so many folks had left by the time they'd come on though :(

Great gig overall. Cheers to Frenchie for bringing the doom to the cold-granite wastelands.

*double thumbs*

twas a good night last night in Dundee. Flatlands are just as crushing when they play fast! new album due in Jan 2009 now sadly (mastered by the the guy who did christmas by old man gloom - apparently sounds incredible).

Stand up guy were great but played for too long, Sunset Squad are great with the new line up and Kaddish were heavenly as usual

• 7 months later...