aberdeen-music

Froghall Avenue

ChoPxSuey

Hi there, my friend and i are going to view a flat in froghall avenue tomorrow and as i recall it doesn't seem like to nice an area... does anyone know if its good or bad or what sort of stuff goes down there. I just got a brand new car aswell and i dont want to come out one morning to find it on bricks, yano? It's the area just south of Tillydrone and between George Street and King Street, cheers guys!

Hi there, my friend and i are going to view a flat in froghall avenue tomorrow and as i recall it doesn't seem like to nice an area... does anyone know if its good or bad or what sort of stuff goes down there. I just got a brand new car aswell and i dont want to come out one morning to find it on bricks, yano? It's the area just south of Tillydrone and between George Street and King Street, cheers guys!

Froghall Avenue?

Bargepole.

I've lived on the corner of Elmbank Terrace and Froghall Avenue for over 5 years.

I've never had any real problems, in fact the major thing that disturbs my tranquility at the moment are these fucking Mormons that keep coming round. I've never even had a wing mirror knocked out of position as far as cars go.

I've also lived in Bedford/Powis and Ferriers/Sandilands before and this area is definitely better, although that's maybe not too much of a recommendation.

For not a lot more a month and also by not even living that far from Froghall you could get a flat in a much nicer area. Head a little closer to the Uni down Sunnyside Road etc or alternatively go for the other side of King Street.

I wouldn't live in Froghall under any circumstance. I've heard enough horror stories from previous residents to stop me even walking through the place unaccompanied after night fall at all - let alone live there. Someone I know there said it was a common to see junkies testing windows from people's back gardens. Niiiiiice.

Edit: As for your car. Avoid parking in Froghall and Bedford Road. However, the side streets off Bedford Road (opposite side to the Kittybrewster) are alright. Bedford Road is just awash with drunk students heading home after being in town at night and as a result expect missing radio aerials, dented bonnets and pies on your windscreen if you park there. If you put it on one of the side streets it'll be more out of harms way.

I think you're confused. Bedford Road is too far away to even consider parking there, it would be just as easy to park on George Street. The back gardens are fenced in with big spikey metal things so any junkies fancying an easy target would have a hard time.Maybe you're thinking of Bedford/Powis?

Your insurance will definately go out. Mine got shoved up when I moved from Ferryhill (mega safe) to near the Ashvale. It's only a five minute walk but its certainly jacked up my contents insurance. I can only imagine what the premium would be for Froghall :down:

really? it's not exactly a hotbed of crime on great western road either. i used to live on nellfield place and my contents wasn't particularly high.

really? it's not exactly a hotbed of crime on great western road either. i used to live on nellfield place and my contents wasn't particularly high.

Nah mine's not either. It depends where "near the ashvale" is. Suppose some of the streets nearer union grove would be worse than my street. I guess the big difference though is she's moved from a flat in a massive executive apartment development complete with gates in a street full of multi bedroom flats to a street that's probably mostly made up of single bedroom flats (probably, just a guess at "near the ashvale"). Which means lower values, more students/undesirables and higher insurance costs.

I'm off Ashvale Place in a slightly more modern block. It's not nearly as glitzy at Fonthill Avenue was but the flat itself is really nice. Fonthill Avenue had a baby police station next to it, was gated and all the neighbours were young proffesionals or middle aged business men who needed an aberdeen base for the mon-fri slug. My neighbours now are all young couples, students, the odd family and young singles. That's basically why it's shot up. It's still not really high. I pay about 14 a month for my contents and that's 15k cover with 2.5k cover of stuff that gets broken/lost out the house (if im on holiday, mugged, etc etc). When I lived in Ferryhill it was about 11.50. So it's up from 138 per year to 168. Works out as just over 20%.

The reason it has gone up has nothing to do with the location, it is just because you're now in a older flat that's less secure. I was paying 160 at Fonthill anyway. Got quoted for 550 down here though for the same level of contents cover. What a laugh - bye, bye Direct Line.

i deliver packets down that way and most of the security doors are not very secure,also some of the tenants leave the back doors open for there kids,once found a guy sleeping in a bairns buggy at bottom of the stairs,must have woke him as he shot up the stairs sharpish,as for the parking you would be lucky to get a space on the pavement down that way.

i deliver packets down that way and most of the security doors are not very secure,also some of the tenants leave the back doors open for there kids,once found a guy sleeping in a bairns buggy at bottom of the stairs,must have woke him as he shot up the stairs sharpish,as for the parking you would be lucky to get a space on the pavement down that way.

You dissin' my 'hood bro?

Yeah, my security doors knackered but it's never a problem, except for the fucking mormons.

i knew some guys who lived in froghall avenue. or it might've been froghall terrace. anyway, one time they were walking home at night and ended up getting chased by a bunch of guys with pool queues, completely unprovoked. incidentally, they came legging it out of either a chinese take-away or the building next to it.

apart from that they said it was fine.

I don't think it's as bad as it used to be, a lot of students and immigrants have moved in because of the cheap rents I guess. Still looks like a bit of a dump but I once got lost in the area at the back of three in the morning one weekend after seeing a drunk mate home (about 3 mins from my flat :O) and wandered around for a bit and never saw a soul about. Could have been lucky though.

As for vandalism, dunno what Froghall is like but I live in between Froghall and King Street and my car had been vandalised 3 times since I got it last August, always on a Friday night. If you do move in try and find a cul de sac to park in or something.

Guest Neutral

With the influx of Poles, latvians and other Eastern Europeans I would expect some forms of crime to drop - housebreaking etc.

Some scrawny little ned breaks into a Poles house, and have you noticed a lot of poles are quite large, and gets caught by said poles, he isn't going to do it again.

Thanks for the opinions, seems poor generally. I went to view it the other day. I parked up and was welcomed by a junky looking woman staring at me from her front door. I locked and alarmed my car and reluctantly crossed the street to the block of flats. Before pushing the button i tried the door, gave it a gentle kick and it swung open. Ascending to the top of the urine soaked stairs was quite a treat... i guess. The flat was huge though, for 600 a month it offered 2 huge bedrooms, a large living room and plenty of space for me and my friend. Apart from the whole place stinking of paint it was brilliant. Although i don't want to live in fear of damaged property or damaged me. =/ Declined their offer.