aberdeen-music

Music Piracy

Stripey

bigsby, it is illegal and the fact nobody has been prosecuted for it is irrelevant.

It will literally cost you over 15,000 to fill up an 80 gig ipod with content from iTunes. That's a simple fact.

It may well be a fact, but it is completely irrelevant as there are plenty of other legal ways to use an ipod that I have already mentioned. And that's before you even consider that there are lots of other providers you can legally download MP3s from.

If you don't believe me, look at the copyright notice on any CD or DVD you've bought or search for some more sources although I think you're just pretending not to understand to wind me up now.

I believe you, and I understand entirely, I've never disputed that it is seemingly against the law to rip CDs for your own use (according to the internet), all I am saying is that it is a completely spurious argument as the chances of anybody caring about you doing so or doing anything about it are nil.

Therefore, the comment posted by Stripey at the start of this thread is STILL the stupidist comment ever.

I believe you, and I understand entirely, I've never disputed that it is seemingly against the law to rip CDs for your own use (according to the internet), all I am saying is that it is a completely spurious argument as the chances of anybody caring about you doing so or doing anything about it are nil.

The point is, the capacity of those devices and the exhorbitant expense of filling it with *licensed content*, along with ripping software being distributed by apple, is a tacit admission by the industry that people *will* be using them largely for illegally obtained content. Either that or they fully expect people to spend thousands of pounds buying content from them, both positions do the industry no favours.

The point is, the capacity of those devices and the exhorbitant expense of filling it with *licensed content*, along with ripping software being distributed by apple , is a tacit admission by the industry that people *will* be using them largely for illegally obtained content. Either that or they fully expect people to spend thousands of pounds buying content from them, both positions do the industry no favours.

No mention of this previously, ergo, it is indeed, the stupidist comment ever.

"seemingly"*sigh!*

"seemingly"*sigh!*

Well, I don't know, I'm not a lawyer, you're not a lawyer, and the best evidence you can produce is a fucking wiki article or no doubt some other stuff procured via Google. I've said already that I accept it to be the case but in the absence of any prosecutions or clear evidence I think it's reasonable to keep an open mind on the matter.

No it's not. He was just making the point that even the companies themselves realise how ridiculous it would be to *legally* use their products

No, because the quote as posted made no mention of the fact that you could rip CDs and therefore implied that the only way to fill an 80gb ipod would be to spend 16 grand or use illegal downloads.

Also, when you calling someone stupid at least spell it correctly... it's, "stupidest" not, "stupidist".

Fair doos, I'll give you that. I knew something didn't look right about it. I was just surprised that Stripey, who normally makes intelligent (if ocassionally bizarre) postings, bothered to quote that nonsense.

No, because the quote as posted made no mention of the fact that you could rip CDs and therefore implied that the only way to fill an 80gb ipod would be to spend 16 grand or use illegal downloads.

yeah, and ripping cd's is illegal, therefore your argument is the "stupidist".

"Despite what most consumers believe, it is technically illegal for UK consumers to make copies of their own CDs."

BPI prepared to discuss ripping CDs | The Register

"For millions of people it is now the only way to enjoy their fix of Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight or even Girls Aloud. Pop a CD into a computer, "rip" the contents, and then play it back on their iPod. It is also illegal, and is claimed to cost the music industry hundreds of millions of pounds."

Call to exempt iPod 'rippers' from prosecution - Crime, UK - The Independent

"Giving people a legal private right to copy would allow them to copy their own CDs and DVDs onto their home computers, laptops or phones without breaking the law."

Influential think tank says 'legalise it' on CD-ripping - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

"Copying music without permission from the copyright holder is illegal in the UK.

BBC - Newsbeat - Technology - CD ripping 'widespread'

Is that enough evidence for you?

"Despite what most consumers believe, it is technically illegal for UK consumers to make copies of their own CDs."

BPI prepared to discuss ripping CDs | The Register

"For millions of people it is now the only way to enjoy their fix of Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight or even Girls Aloud. Pop a CD into a computer, "rip" the contents, and then play it back on their iPod. It is also illegal, and is claimed to cost the music industry hundreds of millions of pounds."

Call to exempt iPod 'rippers' from prosecution - Crime, UK - The Independent

"Giving people a legal private right to copy would allow them to copy their own CDs and DVDs onto their home computers, laptops or phones without breaking the law."

Influential think tank says 'legalise it' on CD-ripping - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

"Copying music without permission from the copyright holder is illegal in the UK.

BBC - Newsbeat - Technology - CD ripping 'widespread'

Is that enough evidence for you?

Yes, I promise not to use the word seemingly or any inverted commas, thanks for wasting your time searching Google. :up: