aberdeen-music

Ornithology

framheim

or Birdwatching. Anyone into it? I just got a nice new fancy zoom lens for my camera so I can take some good bird photo's. Managed to get a few shots of the Peregrine atop Triple Kirks spire and a decent Heron shot at Walker dam earlier in the week.

Wheres your favourite spots for seeing birds(please don't say private eyes)? Went upto Girdleness last night which is meant to be particularly good but didn't see anything amazing. Some nice Swallows and some Terns fishing.

Anyone seen any rarities in Aberdeen?

you can see some of my shots at Flickr: dave officer's Photostream but i'm just starting out with the wildlife photo's so they vary in quality.

I was an avid bird watcher for about 10 years, I was in the Young Ornitholgist Club (YOC) and later the RSPB. My dad and I used to go to the nature reserves at Loch Of Strathbeg (near Peterhead) and Newburgh every weekend. I stopped when I was about 16, I wouldn't know a Tufted duck from a Goldeneye these days. I've still got a bird book somewhere with every type of bird I saw highlighted. I remember sitting for 8 hours waiting to see a Little Bittern once.

I was an avid bird watcher for about 10 years, I was in the Young Ornitholgist Club (YOC) and later the RSPB. My dad and I used to go to the nature reserves at Loch Of Strathbeg (near Peterhead) and Newburgh every weekend. I stopped when I was about 16, I wouldn't know a Tufted duck from a Goldeneye these days.

aye, i was a member of the yoc as well. just getting back into it as it's quite a relaxing way to spend my days off. never been upto strathbeg but i hear it's pretty good particularly in migration season.

aye, i was a member of the yoc as well. just getting back into it as it's quite a relaxing way to spend my days off. never been upto strathbeg but i hear it's pretty good particularly in migration season.

I have kinda fancied getting back into it as well but I never seem to have the time or the energy these days. Strathbeg is excellent, a lot of ducks and waders, herons, curlews, sandpipers, godwits, moorhens etc. It's teeming with wildlife. (though it's been at least 10 years since I've been there), defo worth a look. The hides are well positioned but the loch is pretty big so you'll need binoculars or a telescope or something.

there are loads of good places around here. I've seen waxwings in the trees at dyce asda, but further away...

Glen Tannar - crossbills, (supposed to be crested tits and cappercaille but I've never seen them)

Loch Nagar - ptarmigan, snow buntings - I also saw snow buntings eating crumbs in the carpark at the lecht.

newburgh - lots of sea going ducks and terns

Strathbeg - bittern

I could go on, but I'd just be boring folk

try this.

Aberdeenshire

Pete

inthehills

Montrose basin is the place to be

I attended a talk by Wildlife Photographer Niall Benvie a few years back and he took some cracking shots at the basin. It's a place I've never been to but should really pay a visit at some point. There are Hides there right?

there are loads of good places around here. I've seen waxwings in the trees at dyce asda, but further away...

Glen Tannar - crossbills, (supposed to be crested tits and cappercaille but I've never seen them)

Loch Nagar - ptarmigan, snow buntings - I also saw snow buntings eating crumbs in the carpark at the lecht.

newburgh - lots of sea going ducks and terns

Strathbeg - bittern

I could go on, but I'd just be boring folk

try this.

Aberdeenshire

Pete

inthehills

hey, thanks very much! that's the kind of info i'm after and you wouldn't be boring folk. If they're reading a thread titled ornithology then surely they have an interest in it and if not then they shouldn't be so nosey and opening threads they have no interest in :)

try going down to catterline, I was there the other day and saw loads of puffins among the usual guillemots, razorbills, gannets and seagulls. There was also hundreds of sand martins living in the cliffs that were getting chased by a pair of sparrowhawks. It's a nicer place than fowlsheugh to spot birds.

try going down to catterline, I was there the other day and saw loads of puffins among the usual guillemots, razorbills, gannets and seagulls. There was also hundreds of sand martins living in the cliffs that were getting chased by a pair of sparrowhawks. It's a nicer place than fowlsheugh to spot birds.

aye that's where my interest began. lived there for 9 years when i was a kid and it really is a stunning place. the school has a great little wildlife garden and we were taught a great deal about the birds that would visit it. you used to be able to walk along the cliffs from catterline to fowlsheugh but i think the path has completely disappeared in places now. might take a trip there on monday actually, always nice to go back.

fowlsheugh while obviously chocka with sea birds isn't the nicest place to go for the day. you really need to wear something you don't mind getting pooped on.

you used to be able to walk along the cliffs from catterline to fowlsheugh but i think the path has completely disappeared in places now. might take a trip there on monday actually, always nice to go back.

When I went back earlier in the year we tried walking along the path a bit but it was completely blocked at the watchhouse and we weren't wearing appropriate clothing for walking through the muddy field. However we could see people walking further along the cliffs so it is still used.

or Birdwatching. Anyone into it? I just got a nice new fancy zoom lens for my camera so I can take some good bird photo's. Managed to get a few shots of the Peregrine atop Triple Kirks spire and a decent Heron shot at Walker dam earlier in the week.

Wheres your favourite spots for seeing birds(please don't say private eyes)? Went upto Girdleness last night which is meant to be particularly good but didn't see anything amazing. Some nice Swallows and some Terns fishing.

Anyone seen any rarities in Aberdeen?

you can see some of my shots at Flickr: dave officer's Photostream but i'm just starting out with the wildlife photo's so they vary in quality.

I got a sturdy dingy (seahawk 400) from Costco - and regularly go down the dee & don...

I once saw an osprey up at the Milton. And Herons are common as muck when you float fdown the river, you see about 20 in 4 miles.

the dippers are cute.

Here's a Heron my Wife drew....aww.

dr4_b.jpg

that's a cool heron.

how much was your dinghy phil? not that i can actually afford one mind but it'd be cool to bear in mind for the future. though i'm quite interested in getting into kayaking but wouldn't know where to start.

i've been upto girdleness twice now and it seems to be a pretty good spot. saw a good range of birds there yesterday including Common and Sandwich Tern, Curlew, Oystercatchers, Eider, Goosander, Dunlin, Linnets and a Kestrel. Lots of Dolphins playing in the bay as well.

that's a cool heron.

how much was your dinghy phil? not that i can actually afford one mind but it'd be cool to bear in mind for the future. though i'm quite interested in getting into kayaking but wouldn't know where to start.

i've been upto girdleness twice now and it seems to be a pretty good spot. saw a good range of birds there yesterday including Common and Sandwich Tern, Curlew, Oystercatchers, Eider, Goosander, Dunlin, Linnets and a Kestrel. Lots of Dolphins playing in the bay as well.

we picked it up in Costco for 75 or so...but they don't stock them anymore.

Seahawk 400 by GHOSTBIKES.COM

Intex Seahawk 400 Inflatable Boat Set *4 Man* with Oars on eBay, also, Dinghies Boats, Sailing, Sporting Goods (end time 29-Aug-08 04:47:55 BST)

the new ones seem to be a silly purple...we've just got a dull grey one.